Jack Astors

Discussion in 'Toronto Rock Forum' started by Tanked, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Tanked

Tanked New Member

Just looking for some feedback about the post game party at Jack Astors. Is it better then Badali's? The reason I'm asking is that I've never been allowed to attend.
    My friends and I went there after the game and the bouncers at the door said that we could not go in if we are going to wear our red wigs. We took them off and went in. We said hello to various people (who were making fun of us holding our wigs instead of wearing them) so we put them on. Within 1 minute we had several bouncers around us telling us we had to leave. I asked them why, and they replied that we can't wear our wigs in here. I understand that they told us not to wear them, and we put them on. So I guess they were just doing their jobs. I just don't understand. If we were causing a problem, by all means, kick us out, but we were literally just standing and talking to people.
    We have been supporters of the Rock for a very long time. They have even done promotions based on the red wigs and twice we have had the huge honour of being on the field when the team was introduced. I have talked to many players and they have thanked us for the support over the years. How come we are not even allowed to attend the post game party??? Look around the ACC during the game. We have people in all kinds of wigs and hats. Are we all subject to this discrimination? Is this a Jack Astors thing?...What if someone had face paint?....Where do you draw the line???
    I know that many fans of other teams come to Toronto. Some have goofy wigs like we do. Wigs at sporting events can be seen all over the world. I wouldn't even know what to say to a fan of another team that came to Toronto to support their team, wore their "uniform" and then were denied access to the post game party.

I just feel like I have to vent about this!!

Thanks for your time,
    Tanked

2. BARKS DAWG

BARKS DAWG Active Member

I am sad to hear news like that for you guys.

You have supported this team for a long time

what is wrong with a wig in a bar ??????

Maybe a call to their manager is in order ????

3. RockFans

RockFans New Member

Wow that really blows, what exactly was their beef with the Red Wigs?

Personally I have not even tried JA's yet, I heard there is a line and when you get to the front, they ask if you are on the VIP list. A bunch of us still go to Joes, to talk lacrosse, much less crowded.

4. Meathead25

Meathead25 New Member

Tanked,

Thanks for mentioning this. It's something that has been on my mind too.

I do hope that bigfan and a few others from the Rock see this and take the voice of the fan into consideration when it comes to this sort of thing.

Denying you entry to Jack Astor's because of your wigs is absolutely ludicrous. Then again, Jack Astor's has an image to maintain ( :rotfl: ) and maybe headgear is against code, so I guess I can see that. After all, you could be smuggling outside food into Jack's with those wigs...

Don't lose hope! There is a large group of us that still go back to Badali's after the games because we find Jack's too crowded and too small a venue for it. I'm sure that they'd love to hang with you after games, and though the dancing girls and crowd aren't there, we try to make up for it. The service is faster and better too! lol.

At least with Badali's not only was the upstairs available, but also The Overdraught in the basement. Jack's has no such advantages and we are confined to the bar area. You know, from the many years you have attended, how many fans come out to these things, and having seen the size of the bar, Jack's isn't a viable option. And when you have to wait, as I did after the home-opener for 25 minutes just to get into an over-crowded, over-priced, under-sized bar, really, there's no incentive to come back.

I guess Badali's got "better dealed" out of hosting the post-game parties, but nowadays it looks like a wasteland in there with the Rock gone. I mean you could literally fire a cannon through the place and not hit anyone now that the Rock are no longer having post-game parties there.

You should direct your concerns to the Rock at info@torontorock.com or better yet to Terri Workman (tworkman@torontorock.com), the head of PR, or Patricia Jaecklein (pjaecklein@torontorock.com), Marketing and Events, and see if you can get your concerns addressed. Having you missing from the post-game festivities is something that needs to be rectified tout suite (hu-huh...I said "rectified"). I would recommed e-mailing Terri directl with your concerns as she fully understands how important you guys are.

Best of luck and if you don't go to Jack's, come to Badali's!
    Meat

PS - my reply would have been first, but I think I sprained my think bone writing that...lol

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2008
  5. markm

markm New Member

I wonder if it's the same bouncers who shut down the autograph lines after 45 minutes ? :(

6. 9SQUIRE3

9SQUIRE3 Active Member

i have only gone in there once after a game and i was not impressed
    there was no freaking room to stand in there. Was t like this at badalli;s?

7. Meathead25

Meathead25 New Member

With Badali's there were a lot of people but you didn't have to elbow your way through everyone in the front area, it didn't take over half an hour to get a drink, there was room for waiters to move and serve the folks at tables, and the players had a little space to breathe at the back of the restaurant before mingling with the fans. There's none of that at Jack's.

I'm not high on Jack's because I felt like cattle jammed in there...

I'm sure Rock management had a good reason for switching (other than: Well, it's time for a change) but we won't hear about it as fans because it's not any of our business (see the opinions - feed us ****, our opions will be the same comment in another thread) why they switched, just that they did...

8. newlaxfan2

newlaxfan2 New Member

How does one get on the VIP list anyhow?

9. Meathead25

Meathead25 New Member

You'll never know and I'll never find out...lol

10. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Best part about the Rock moving to Astors.....

I can buy Guinness at the Overdraught again!!

(Eff Molson, Miller, Coors and their whole effing collection of slightly different pisswaters. :rotfl: )

11. fandit

fandit Active Member

Tanked, you guys should NOT have to remove your wigs to go there. What you should do is go over the head of the manager of that branch and right to the corporate level. Send an email to the company through their website, with a complete explanation of who you are and why you do what you do. (Why do you do what you do ?:D ) I have a feeling that under the circumstances the "suits" would be interested in hearing about this "policy."

12. trooper

trooper New Member

Jack Astors isn't bad.... if you go there after Joe Badali's closes.... and besides Badali's has better food anyway.....

13. Bionic-Bill

Bionic-Bill New Member

Would they refuse entry to a woman wearing a wig?
    Would they refuse entry to a cancer patient wearing a wig because they lost their hair while recieving chemotherapy.
    I would contact Head Office.
    Sounds like the Rock picked the wrong place this year!

14. trooper

trooper New Member

There is a difference between a wig and a "decorative wig" and that may be Jack Astor's problem. Or they may be like the restaurant in Rochester that didn't allow you to wear a jersey when they first took over after Benigans. I'm not saying they are right by any means, but that could be their policy.

15. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I miss the days of when the guys with the wigs made road trips.