John Tavares: Soul to the Goal

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by Vin, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Vin

Vin Active Member

I saw this during the GEO@BUF game...

https://www.amazon.com/John-Tavares-Soul-Richard-Jacob/dp/0692868321

A concise biography of the greatest ever. John Tavares is a professional lacrosse player who completed a 24 year playing career with the National Lacrosse League's Buffalo Bandits. Holding a long list of lacrosse records,he has inspired people from all walks of life. This is a human interest story about a man with remarkable character, who reached the highest level of sport performance in one of the toughest sports on earth. Hear from family, teammates, opponents and close friends about this living lacrosse legend.

2. Rick716

Rick716 Active Member

Thanks for the post. I didn't see that tonight.

3. Vin

Vin Active Member

On NLLTV.... It was quick. Just bought it for my grandson who just turned 17 and plays field lax in Missouri.

4. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

Is there a chapter on scoring goals? The Bandits could use it.

smurf666 likes this.
  5. Vin

Vin Active Member

How about a whole new book:

John Tavares: Soul to the Goal, Part II: Coming Out of Retirement

Actually, the Bandits are #3 in the league with offense but just took over having the worst defense from New England. Bandits GAA = 13.6471 thanks to the schooling by Georgia.
    New England GAA = 13.3529

6. Vin

Vin Active Member

7. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting. I might actually stop by there tomorrow on my way to the game and pick up a copy to get signed.

8. Vin

Vin Active Member

I wish I could. I bought via Amazon a copy for my grandson. Amazon has yet to ship, so maybe they don't have it yet either. The best bet for getting the book ASAP is to buy in person. If I wasn't 7 hours away, I'd be there too and get a few copies.

9. AmericanRockFan

I'm not bitching about anything, but I gotta say it's a little weird that Soho's Burger Bar is the place hosting the Tavares' book signing and not 716, or even the atrium of the KeyBank Center. Hopefully the line is short so I can get to 716 by 4:30 to meet up with the 2,000+ other members of Rock Nation making the trek down the QEW to pre-game and watch the Anthony Joshua/Wladimir Klitschko heavyweight championship boxing match on the big screen at the bar :cool:

10. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Active Member

John Tavares already did a book signing at the Key Bank Center - it was after last weekends game vs Georgia.

Update - Theres going to be another book signing by John Tavares after Saturdays game vs Toronto.
    He will be signing his book "Soul To The Goal" outside of the Sabres Store in the Key Bank Center and like last weeks signing - he will be only signing his book.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  11. AmericanRockFan

Ah, makes sense then. I was just gonna be surprised if the Bandits didn't have something for him. I'll probably hit up the pre-game signing just so I can dart out of there quickly after the game.

12. AmericanRockFan

Signing was supposed to start 20 minutes ago and Tavares isn't here yet. Has he no showed his own appearance? STAY TUNED!

13. AmericanRockFan

It was a pretty cool event. There were probably 15 people waiting when I got there. Tavares showed up at around 4:30. He saw I was a Rock fan and I told him "I'm a Rock fan but you were always my favorite non-Rock player." He seemed a little thrown off by the remark but thanked me for it, and then proceeded to sign my book "To Matt, Best of Luck! John Tavares. Go Bandits Go!" I told him the last inscription was just unnecessary and we had a nice laugh about it.

Attached Files:

smurf666 likes this.
  14. AmericanRockFan

I like the book so far. It's pretty short, but the author did a good job of picking who to interview for the book.

But I do have to comment on the material that the book is printed on. Whatever the cover is printed on wasn't the best choice, because the cover literally melted all over my hands...

15. Vin

Vin Active Member

Look for that high-quality "Printed in China" text on the Copyright Page.

16. AmericanRockFan

I shall check when I get home. It's too bad too, because now I have a nice white stripe on the front where my fingers were while I was reading the book :mad: If it bothers me that much, one day I'll just buy a fresh copy, have Tavares inscribe "Go Bandits Go!" on it so I can re-create that magic moment, then immediately put the book away in plastic for it to never be touched ever again!

17. Vin

Vin Active Member

Amazon notified me last night that the book that I got for my grandson just went out and that he should get it in 2 or 3 days. I hope the ink on the cover will have dried by then.

18. AmericanRockFan

Hopefully. But I noticed my back cover, which has a cool lithograph of some all-time Bandits on it, has grey/black ink scattered all over it, probably from the cover of the book that it was stacked upon when I bought it at Soho's. So make sure he's wearing gloves while reading it.

19. Vin

Vin Active Member

I got my book yesterday. Wow, 100 pages if that. Less than 1/2-inch thick. Still, nice book to have.

20. AmericanRockFan

I finally finished this book. Fortunately it didn't melt on my hands completely before I was done with it.