Johnny Powless

Discussion in 'Toronto Rock Forum' started by CrocodileLax, Jun 11, 2017.

1. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

The Rock struggle with the lefty attack. Powless has just finished a one year contract with the Swarm and reguarly puts up 60-70 point seasons barring a subpar stint on the Stealth when they were a terrible team. He's also a 4 time cup winner and still relatively young.

I fully expect him to resign with the Swarm. But should the Rock make a pitch for him? He'd be able to play closer to home and have a more prominent role than he does on the offensively gifted Swarm.

Thoughts?

2. GoodsOnSabres

GoodsOnSabres Member

I think he honestly likes not being in that prominent role. It's part of the reason he had some struggles in Vancouver. He was instantly made the face of the franchise.

Mr Boo likes this.
  3. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

Agreed. I'm wondering if the presence of Schreiber, Hickey, Hellyer and Leblanc would take that pressure off. He'd be a major addition to be sure, but he wouldn't be the face of the franchise. Probably moot point, as I'll bet he travels with Staats and doesn't particularly care about playing far away from home.

4. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

you put him there instead of Evans or McArdle and everything is a bit better.

Make him a fair offer....if nothing else, it forces GA to match and maybe it puts another top free agent up for grabs or another quality vet available for draft picks

5. RockyMaivia

RockyMaivia Member

The Ardmore Aardvark says that Johnny Powless' offensive and sexual prowess would be a welcome addition to Toronto.

6. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

As long as he doesn't mind the travel, I bet he re-signs with Georgia. But seeing as Georgia has 3 1st round picks this year, is Powless expendable? Could he be trade bait for a future 1st round pick?

7. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

Not sure about their UFA / RFA list, but, they are young, so, I don't think there are many if any UFAs

With three first rounders, and a thin operating budget, I have to think at least one or two solid veterans will be considered expendable.

Other teams can help break up this juggernaut by making solid offers to the RFAs so it starts costing GA a bunch more to keep them.

8. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

I trust your instincts: it's a safe bet he resigns with Georgia. I hadn't considered him being traded after signing though -- the Swarm love those draft picks. And there a lot of players who can score on the Swarm already, with young blood coming. A budget conscious GM may actually consider Powless expendable. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

If I were Dawick et al. I'd do exactly what Rockstar, sorry smurf666, suggested. Drive up Powless' contract value and make Georgia pay through the nose to keep him. Repeat for any RFA. He's right -- a few players will either get signed away, or become trade bait. I'll bet a few other teams'll take this very strategy.

Powless in particular is vulnerable as I believe he signed a one year contract that ended this season but I'll bet there are others.

This might be an interesting off season.

9. chuckster

I guess a case could be made that now that Arlotta has won a Cup, does he go back to his cheap ways? Does he have the desire for multiple Cup runs where he would spend the money to keep the team together? Does anyone in Georgia care if the team wins multiple Cups?

The Swarm could be OK losing Powless with the depth they have and the picks they have coming.

10. RockyMaivia

RockyMaivia Member

The Ardmore Aardvark also says that you can't forget about the possibility of the Swarm potentially moving to a different market with an owner with a new, deep pocketed mindset that might want to keep the team in tact.

Aardvark da salivating at the thought of the Philadelphia Swarming Wings tearing **** up at the Wells Fargo Center in 6 months.

11. roadrunner

roadrunner Member

Absolutely not. They should move back to Minnesota or a place where the indoor game can really be appreciated.

12. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

Geez, I try to steal a player and you guys try to steal a team. I guess Edmonton's move to Saskatchewan was a good thing. Maybe there's a better home for the Swarm too.

13. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

I just realized Randy Staats' contract is up too. While I also expect him to resign with the Swarm, I'm wondering if there's value in making a pitch to him and Powless. Two players at top dollar makes it harder for a thin margin team to keep both vets. Staats and Powless would look pretty good in a Rock uniform too. My guess is that if the Rock don't do it, the other eastern teams will.

At the very least, it makes it tough for the defending champs to keep their roster.

14. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Coming outta retirement to throw my opinion into the ring...

I'd like to see Powless and Staats playing for the Rock, but I'm not sure how likely it really is. As I've seen RockStar and Smurf state on here before, I'd like to see the Rock tap into the Native market more often and this would be a golden opportunity to do so. I know there's only one ball to go around, but could you imagine Schreiber playing alongside Powless, Staats, and Hellyer next season? :eek:

15. chuckster

Staats has only 2 years of experience so there's likely only so much a team can offer him in the league salary structure. I can't imagine that the Swarm wouldn't match that for him since it likely wouldn't cost them that much more. Plus, he plays for Atlanta in the MLL so he might be fine with staying put.

Powless has 6 years experience and may get more money on the league salary structure so I could see the Swarm letting him go for money reasons or working out a trade deal with the Rock for future picks. NE could also be a candidate for his services and they could use a little youth on their left side O.

16. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Active Member

Georgia is already struggling with attendance issues. If they let Powless and Staats walk after a championship season, it'll look like a fire sale (especially with the Swarm's history in Minnesota) and they can kiss their attendance goodbye.

17. AmericanRockFan

To be honest though, how many local diehards can such a small fanbase have that will even notice Powless and Staats are gone?

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but considering where there attendance already is it's hard to imagine that Powless and Staats departing Georgia would have the same sort of impact that Doyle et. al departing Toronto in the mid-to-late 2000s had on Toronto attendance.

18. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

I thought of NE too, given that they've embraced Native players more frequently of late. I'm wondering if they'd be a good fit for Powless, however. Clark's coaching style doesn't seem to mesh well with the Native players he's had. On top of that, Powless has more strut in his stride when he's paired with other players from his neck of the woods.

Wouldn't blame anyone for reaching out to him though. Good lefty attackers can be hard to find. My guess remains that Powless and Staats stay put but we'll see.

19. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

The only native players I think Clark misused was bucktooth,
    Seth Oakes sucks
    Quinn powless was part of a decent trade
    Bill obrien gets a little more time on D then I'd give
    And if I'm missing anyone opps

20. AmericanRockFan

Than.*
    Oops.*