Knighthawks to Halifax

Discussion in 'Rochester Knighthawks Forum' started by GoKHawksGo, Jun 11, 2018.

1. GoKHawksGo

GoKHawksGo Active Member

https://twitter.com/Marisa_Ingemi/status/1006312515238793216

So if this is true, is he buying an expansion team or moving the current team? Either way the Pegulas owning 2 teams is a terrible idea which I suspect would not last long

2. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

It would make more sense to allow him to move his team and then if Pegula wants another team it can play in Rochester

3. BlackWolves99

BlackWolves99 Member

I figured with the Rattlers not making it in the city and moving to Dallas plus the decline in fans this year that something might have been in the works.

4. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I agree with the Hawks fan and the Wings fan....*shudder*....this doesn't make sense. Why would Styres put together a team with such huge potential and future and then sell it off to start over in a city hundreds of miles away? And why would the Pegulas want another indoor lax team in a city that won't support Styres now?

I'm really trying to wrap my head around this. And if the league allows 1 owner for 2 teams with a history and rivalry like this, then Sakiewicz is nuts, IMO.

MILLwasbetter and Hollywood42 like this.
  5. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Active Member

If a Halifax team's actually a possibility, it makes more sense for the league to let Styres move the Knighthawks. That way a potential hot new market inherits a team with a chance of making the playoffs, preventing the market from cooling off while an expansion team flounders. Better yet it would get the Knighthawks away from idiot fans calling for four or five of their star players to be left unprotected in the expansion draft.

Still not sure how credible these rumours are but it is fun to think about in the offseason.

chuckster likes this.
  6. Hollywood42

Then the black wolves franchise Crowley the night before the wings introduce their jerseys

7. BlackWolves99

BlackWolves99 Member

I'm kinda shocked that there aren't rumors about any expansion teams being created or any teams being moved to hockey happy Quebec City who still is trying to get a look from the NHL. I would think if they can show that they could fill it for an NLL team that the NHL might see and think again on them.

Maybe they will be next after the Knighthawks get moved to Halifax

8. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I know this league is bush, but is an owner allowed to own two teams in the modern day version of the league? I know Brad Watters owned 2 or 3 teams at once 15 years ago, but is that still allowed?

I'm just really puzzled by all of this. I would have thought I'd have heard something about it at the post-game party 9 days ago if this already had this much momentum.

9. GoKHawksGo

GoKHawksGo Active Member

The league's biggest rivalry being owned by the same group seems very odd.

MILLwasbetter likes this.
  10. GoKHawksGo

GoKHawksGo Active Member

Is it a coincidence Cody Jamieson seems to have deactivated his twitter with these rumors?

11. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

I think that's more likely because he's tired of being told how awful he is by crack reporters from ilindoor.com forums and their readers. :)

Seriously, that's a thing that makes you go hmm.

12. fandit

fandit Active Member

The Bandits goaltending situation is dire.........but buying a whole franchise to get Matt Vinc is crazy :p:D

BestSeatinHouse and Hollywood42 like this.
  13. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Ugh, I hope the hawks stay. Change owners if you have to, but do not mess wither the teams and their fans.... blind hope

14. unspoken

unspoken Member

The problem would be what would the NLL get out of that? They'd get used as a test run then lose a ton of audience in that city once the NHL moves in since that's what it's residents really want.

15. unspoken

unspoken Member

Halifax could very well be the next Saskatchewan if the current Knighthawks team is moved there. A team who's built to be a reasonably solid contender for a while, a market with no competing professional sports (even moreso than Sadkatchewan was) and a solid population base in the city and around to build a fanbase out of.

16. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Active Member

And I'm not sure Quebec City would embrace the NLL in the first place, even as a test to prove they can support an NHL team.

Quebec City fans would demand French Canadian players -- it's the epicentre of francophone pride. There aren't enough quality French Canadian players to meet that need. There aren't even enough French Canadian commentators to call a game knowledgeably in French, which will make it all the harder to connect to French audiences. Which brings up the problem of the Montreal Express. Even with heavy papering, they only managed 8000 fans a game back in the day, a third of which were actual paying customers.

Quebec City doesn't have junior or pee wee teams to market to. Or a nearby geographic rival to excite fans. Or a population with much exposure to lacrosse as a whole, meaning high marketing costs will be necessary to connect fans to the game. And let's not forget that the sport in Quebec is generally perceived as a Native sport, which isn't a compliment in some eyes. I doubt heavily papered, possibly half-empty houses in a league where tickets cost a fraction of NHL prices would be much proof of hockey's viability in the area.

As much as I love lacrosse, it's a niche sport. Even more so in Quebec than elsewhere.

17. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Last I knew, Angus Goodleaf was the only Quebec born player in the NLL.

18. GoKHawksGo

GoKHawksGo Active Member

Sounds like the plan is to keep the current team in Rochester.....let's hope that happens

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/knighthawks-could-be-sold-to-pegula-sports-current-owner-curt-styres-to-get-halifax-expansion-team/52529

19. Hollywood42

20. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

I am struggling to think of enough non-Quebec players with Franco sounding names to fill six slots in the depth half of the roster......

Limited history, no cultural connection.

It's a big longshot at best.