Knighthawks to Halifax

Discussion in 'Rochester Knighthawks Forum' started by GoKHawksGo, Jun 11, 2018.

1. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Enough to fill six slots? The only players with a Francophone sounding name in Rock history I can think of are Stephan LeBlanc and Todd Richard.

2. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Well-Known Member

I know he's no longer a player, but Patrick Merrill was born in Montreal and moved to Orangeville when he was very young (before Brodie was born). They're the only two I know of though

3. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

You can keep the team in Rochester but if Styres is running the show in Halifax, he's going to find a way to fleece the team in Rochester of its best players. He'll get 2 of them through the expansion draft and there will be others who want to go to Halifax because they know what a great owner he is and how well he treats the players. And keep this in mind......Pegula hires a new GM in Rochester and the track record of the GM in Buffalo is less than stellar. There are a few of us who think Chugger needs to go and for good reason.

4. UncleBenny

UncleBenny Member

The Hawks will be a shell of their former self within a year or two for sure, Styres will obviously gut the office and Pegula will bring in "his guys". Sure we keep the KHawks name and history, which does mean something, but I just don't have a lot of hope for a Pegula run organization doing anything meaningful here other than opening the door to the BCA 9 times a year.

5. AmericanRockFan

If Jody Gage has active involvement in the Knighthawks though, I wouldn't be quite as concerned about the future of the Knighthawks. Granted, Styres has really built the team into a powerhouse for the most part during his 10 years of ownership, but Gage was around and was involved in building some quality teams before Styres bought the team.

6. GoKHawksGo

GoKHawksGo Active Member

Latest report is Styres is fighting to take his current team to Halifax and have Rochester start new with an expansion team. Cant blame Curt for wanting that but that would be a disaster for Rochester. It would be hard to cheer for a team next year if you know every player wasnt going to be there the following year

MrWilson likes this.
  7. Buffalo Fan

Buffalo Fan Member

As a Buffalo Bandits season ticket holder for 27 years and counting I am not sure that is a bad thing if it was my Buffalo Bandits but Rochester getting PSE as owners your better off folding altogether with those bums as owners. The Rochester Knighthawks name will most likely stay just the players and management leave Rochester. Believe me if the Buffalo Bandits name stayed and the players, management, ownership left I would be all for it. PSE is Rochester's biggest problem Rochester would be better off with no NLL team. Rochester want the Buffalo Bandits and Buffalo Sabres with Terry Pegula? Let Buffalo start over with a different owner for NLL and NHL teams. As Buffalonian I am lucky as a Buffalo fan I watch other Buffalo teams like the Buffalo Bisons not just PSE owned overpriced Buffalo teams Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Sabres that failure yearly under PSE poor ownership now angling for a taxpayer money hand out for stadiums, arena upgrades.

UB Bulls football and basketball I am season ticket holders for that is a way better value for Buffalo fans free parking, much cheaper food prices and UB men's and women's basketball lost only one game combine at home all last year. If I was a Rochester sports fan which I am not I would support the Rochester Rhinos owners in the soccer stadium, Rochester Red Wings and RIT hockey over PSE Rochester Knighthawks, Rochester Americans. PSE are horrible owners just out for a dollar if Buffalo fans can't see that with PSE soon to be purchase of the Rochester Knighthawks in the same NLL as the Buffalo Bandits I don't know what would wake some Buffalo fans up too the fact. Terry Pegula isn't a Buffalo fan like you and I he is a fake fan in it for the money over giving Buffalo a winner. Terry Pegula is a bum he ran the Bandits, Sabres into the ground now he thinks he can run the Knighthawks too. PSE is just a bad WNY joke shame on the NLL for allowing PSE to do that to two good cities in WNY in my opinion. Let's Go Buffalo

8. chuckster

The Pegulas aren't leaving Buffalo any time soon. Looks like as a "Buffalo Fan", your option is to get used to what they're doing as owners.

9. chuckster

I don't know why Styres doesn't want to move the current Hawks and let Rochester start over. Unless, maybe, the Pegulas are calling the shots here. That would be an interesting scenario of having 1 owner basically "steal" another owners team. The Pegulas could throw alot of money at Styres to get what they want and Styres is a businessman so he might not want to say no at $10-$15 million for his team and the league letting him get an expansion team for $5 million (or less).

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

10. WingsNut423566

WingsNut423566 Active Member

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/nll-source-says-knighthawks-move-to-halifax-still-very-much-on-the-table/52575

According to sources close to the league, Knighthawks owner Curt Styres desires to move the franchise to Halifax. The initial report stated Halifax would be an expansion team, which remains what the league wants.

However, Styres isn’t so quick to give up the franchise he built into a championship contender to start from scratch.

The league still wishes for the Knighthawks to be sold to the Pegula Sports and Entertainment Group, the owners of the Buffalo Bandits, while Styres would adopt an expansion franchise. The league has also been willing to grant Styres the franchise without the typical expansion fee.

11. KHawkTobey

KHawkTobey Member

12. chuckster

13. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

Probably under 5 million

The positives
    Team is good
    The negatives
    Plays in a dump
    Has middle of the pack attendance

14. Rick716

Rick716 Active Member

I don't like the idea of Pegula owning both. I have no problems with them owning Buffalo. They have stable ownership which is all you can hope for in this league. But I don't see how their can't be some anti-competitive practice going on if one owner owns two teams. UNLESS, PSE is just totally hands off and lets the lacrosse people run things.

It seems like there would always be doubt about personnel moves or trades involving those teams.

15. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

depends who's contracted and whether you believe they'll report, but, if your object is to break even, you probably cannot even pay the standard $5m expansion fee.

16. nickp91

nickp91 New Member

Fans obviously concerned about losing an amazing owner in Curt Styres

17. AmericanRockFan

I'm not a Knighthawks fan, but I'd be sad to lose Styres as an owner in Rochester.

18. UncleBenny

UncleBenny Member

It sounds like Styres is gone regardless, the question now is just what if anything is left in Rochester when he leaves.

Very disappointing to see as a season ticket holder that liked him as an owner, but a small part of me can't really blame him for looking for better support elsewhere. Things weren't terrible in Rochester, but I always thought he deserved more.

19. chuckster

Part of me would like to see him leave the team in Rochester, go to Halifax to start new, build a team and then win a Cup in 1-3 years. That would stick it to the city of Rochester and the league.

20. MILLwasbetter

MILLwasbetter Well-Known Member

reading buffalo fan's post, he sounds a lot like the guy that always complained about nyc. what qwas his name rocky?