Knighthawks to Halifax

Discussion in 'Rochester Knighthawks Forum' started by GoKHawksGo, Jun 11, 2018.

1. WingsNut423566

WingsNut423566 Active Member

Probably because he does not consider Marsia or Ilindoor media.

2. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

Maybe it's down 29% because people realized it was soccer.

Tom Wersderfer and RockStar like this.
  3. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Can fans of the NLL really throw shade at other sports for low attendance numbers?

chuckster and RockStar like this.
  4. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

Agreed, I'm a fan of both (the only two sports I actively pay attention to) and I want them both to succeed.

5. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

The funny thing being, who else would report on this. Ilindoor the main 3rd party media outlet for box lacrosse news.

6. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

As the word spreads about the Hawks potentially leaving the city, it will be even more difficult to sell tickets in Rochester. They had to deal with the rumors but that's not a ringing endorsement of stability in any form.

The league is in a real pickle with this. They want 12+ months lead time with starting in new markets but you can't announce that and not have it tank sales in the existing market if you're moving the team. I think the best scenario from the league's perspective is that Styres sells the team and then starts a new franchise in Halifax. That wouldn't tank the sales in Rochester and Rochester fans can still claim the Hawks franchise as theirs. The key is to sell Curt Styres on it and that won't be easy.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  7. GoKHawksGo

GoKHawksGo Active Member

It's been reported that is exactly what the league wants but Curt wants nothing to do with that....can't blame him either

8. AmericanRockFan

It wouldn't shock me if Styres gets the expansion team in Halifax but pulls off some sort of major trade to take players like Jamieson and Smith, among others, to Halifax with him.

9. MILLwasbetter

MILLwasbetter Well-Known Member

The Hawks have always been the only team that I hated, more so when I was a teenager and a young man. I've always respected them, but that was the rivalry, that was it. I hated them, but I knew I also loved them. the games were better, they were intense, the crowds were bigger and rowdier, everything was better. If the Hawks leave Rochester, This league will lose a huge chunk of its appeal to me.

It's tough to decide who to point the finger at. Curt, and the Hawks for that matter, deserve more than 6-7k in attendance. They have been one of the best teams in the league for almost a decade. I imagine he looks at Saskatchewan and is envious and believes he could do the same with a move to Halifax, which is similar to Saskatoon. The scenario is almost identical to Edmonton. Dedicated owner, great team, poor attendance. The Hawk faithful aren't to blame, could be the marketing? Could be the local area just doesn't care? I mean this franchise has done nothing but win since it was born, they've had the star power in the Gates, Powell, Grant, etc. They are a great product and a great franchise that play in a dated arena and cant fill it... I may have talked myself onto Curt's side of this. Might lose one of the greatest rivalries in the sport but it might be for the better. Rochester has had 21 years of winning and aren't filling an 11,000 seat arena..

k-hawksfan33 and BigDave like this.
  10. AmericanRockFan

I think it could be the marketing. The Knighthawks really are the one team in Rochester that should be promoted to the 18-34 demographic. But Rochester sports in general are seeing a decline in attendance, so it's more of a Rochester issue.

11. chuckster

12. AmericanRockFan

I'm not necessarily an Amerks or a Knighthawks fan, but I'm happy to see some new management take over the Blue Cross Arena. Hopefully some renovations come sooner than later because there's plenty of upgrades that arena needs.

13. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

It needs a bulldozer

mtbf likes this.
  14. AmericanRockFan

More accurately, the inside of the arena needs a bulldozer.

15. MILLwasbetter

MILLwasbetter Well-Known Member

I will guarantee they turn it into a world class facility as that place is housing Sabres prospects. I mean check out Penn State's rink and what they've built in Buffalo. I bet they update all the player facilities first, then concourses and lighting etc. PSE owning the Hawks isn't great, but PSE owning that building from a Sabres/Amerks POV is outstanding! When they first bought the Sabres, the first thing they did was upgrade the team facilities to world class level. I would expect something similar to that. Too many anti Pegula fans are short sighted and aren't seeing what they are building long term, which is a world class hockey organization from top to bottom. This is great news.

MrWilson likes this.
  16. chuckster

The way I understand it from the article, PSE is not buying the building outright from the City of Rochester. They are going to manage the operations of it. There is a difference between the two of those things.

In the Buffalo News article, there is this quote:

PSE Chief Operating Officer Bruce Popko said in a statement. “That commitment extends to the future of Blue Cross Arena. This facility can be a major accelerator for downtown Rochester, and we will work diligently with Mayor Warren and her staff to transform it into a first-class attraction along the Genesee River that will benefit the entire city.

What PSE does get is leverage with the city in upgrading the facility by owning the teams that play in it AND managing the building. SMG did not have that.....they managed the building and the Amerks/Hawks were tenants who rented it.

17. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Terms of a long term well-valued lease might include the city making a number of major renos happen.

FWIW, as an occasional fan, the arena, seats, and concourses are fine for AHL hockey and NLL. If anything, it needs better lighting and maybe some kind of a clever paint job to stop it from feeling like a bit of a cave.

What is maybe needed is:
    - better player facilities
    -Some kind of an entertainment annex that gives more reasons for the suburbanite patrons to come downtown for games........I like fraternizing with the die hards at the Stock, but.....only 150 locals think that is a good enough experience, and not too many more than that seem to bother with the game and anything else

Buffalo used to be a shithole in this regard too, but, now there is a mini hotel/entertainment village around the rink, and it seems much more lively pre and post game. If Rochester could get something like the Harbor Center (that was hard for me to spell correctly, btw! :D) with lodgings, community rinks, fine dining, premium sportsbar like 716......that would probably help with traffic.

Doubt the city would ever get the investment back, but, the first step in urban renewal is getting folk to want to go downtown......in a well played long game, maybe they can win.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    MILLwasbetter likes this.
  18. MrWilson

MrWilson Member

PSE running the BCA is the first step before buying it outright from the city.

MILLwasbetter likes this.
  19. chuckster

That's not how PSE does business. They don't own KeyBank Center or New Era Field, the county does and I bet if PSE wanted to buy either/both of them, the county would sell.....but after a few years, that hasn't been discussed publicly.

There has been talk about whether PSE would build and own a new arena or football stadium but if the county ends up owning those buildings while PSE gets almost all the money from running it, I think that's a preferred setup for PSE. Same with a new BCA.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  20. AmericanRockFan

Isn't the current setup with KeyBank Center and New Era Field that the county owns them, but the Pegulas have a ton of say in renovating the venues? I thought that's why there's been some changes to both since the Pegulas took over both franchises.