Knighthawks to Halifax

Discussion in 'Rochester Knighthawks Forum' started by GoKHawksGo, Jun 11, 2018.

1. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I believe that is the case. KeyBank Center hasn't had a major renovation yet but just some minor things done in the concourses. PSE is currently studying what upgrades could be done and the idea of a brand new arena being built has been rumored to be on the table.

I think the last round of New Era Field upgrades was agreed to before the Pegulas bought the Bills.

2. UncleBenny

UncleBenny Member

...why? They don't own First Niagara Center in Buffalo either.

3. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

A brand new arena in Buffalo?? That'd be just plain silly in my opinion. I know the KeyBank Center is 22 years old, but that place has several decades of use left. Plus the location is fantastic, building a new arena in Buffalo now would just be a ridiculous decision.

4. chuckster

The issue is whether the cost of renovations and upgrade work would not be that far from building new. Again, it was just a rumor that was out there and PSE is going to take a long time to evaluate what the options are. As with everything, it will come down to money.

5. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

They just built a multimillion dollar entertainment complex right across the street from the rink, and, there is no better location in central Buffalo......the rink will stay put, will maybe just get enhanced/remodelled/modestly expanded.

6. AmericanRockFan

Exactly. I gotta presume this is much more likely. I can't really fault them for seeing how much a whole near arena would cost for reference to compare against how much renovations would cost, but in terms of location I don't think you can beat the current spot unless you're going to put the new arena literally on the other side of Cobblestone/Helium.

7. MILLwasbetter

MILLwasbetter Active Member

I don't think the Sabres would relocate the arena due to the fact that they just built an entire new village in the city, but I can see them doing some MSG scale renovations. If you didn't see the documentary on the MSG renovations you should check it out, it's incredible what they did. That is what I would expect to be done.

In a perfect world, I would want a new exterior for the arena as KBC is and has been one of the UGLIEST arenas I have ever seen.

Something of note, I didn't realize that the Sabres only played at the Aud for about the same time frame that they've played in the arena. It doesn't feel that old, but its old. They also added over 1,000 seats since the original design, which may not seem like much but it doesn't help the crowdedness.

Another something of note, take it for what you want, I know how people view inside news like this on message boards, friend of mine works for a local contractor, they have been working on New Era Field since the spring. Apparently it is very hush hush and they aren't even allowed to bring phones on the site, but there is concrete from the 300 level falling down all over the concourses of the stadium. You will not hear about this anywhere on the news as the Bills don't want it getting out. Buddy says it's really bad. If youre there this season, keep your eyes peeled for new concrete work and paint in the concourses and around the stadium.

8. chuckster

The Pegulas are studying the idea of a new arena as part of their evaluations.

https://www.athleticbusiness.com/stadium-arena/replacement-or-renovation-could-be-in-store-for-keybank-center.html

The PSE president and Sabres co-owner/president said replacing the facility is no less a consideration than a major renovation.

"I think everything's on the table," Pegula said. "I think they did a great job when they built that place (in 1996) and our staff has been really good about maintaining and putting in a lot of cap-ex (capital expenditure) things over the years, but I wouldn't take anything off the table. We really want to take a really, really big, global look at all that."

9. AmericanRockFan

Haven't seen the documentary, but I can tell you that I've experienced the bridge seats at MSG and loved them.... once I got over my mini heights induced panic attack. But they are definitely the most unique seats you'll find at any arena that I'm aware of and if you have a chance to at least walk on the bridge I say go for it.

About the KBC exterior, I used to really like the front of it, especially from the harborside of the arena, before the HarborCenter was built. I liked the view of the glass exterior. Now it just feels like one big mega building (nothing wrong with it, it's just the old style was more my visual preference).

10. AmericanRockFan

Makes sense then. When you're talking about millions of dollars it would be silly not to do the extra bit of due diligence and make sure that a major renovation isn't more than the cost of a whole new venue.

11. MILLwasbetter

MILLwasbetter Active Member

ARF- the documentary was I believe a 2 piece series and it was on MSG, it may be on demand but is definitely on youtube. It is crazy how they did all of that work and didn't tear down the building. New walk ways, new seating set up, entire new sections, new concourses. All within the same walls. It's really cool to see.

I thought the bridge seating was an awesome idea and would love to sit up there.

I think KBC needs a paint job at the very least. I also would prefer something to Lucas Oil Field, it would fit the city better.

I also think the power of good lighting does wonders. If KBC was lit up like SaskTel is for games it would look great. Blue for Sabres, Orange for Bandits. All the way around the upper rim.