Kyle Hartzell a Seal

Discussion in 'San Diego Seals Forum' started by toolytay, Feb 12, 2019.

1. toolytay

toolytay Guest

San Diego just announced on that Hartzell signed a 1-year agreement. He moved out to California a few weeks ago, mostly for the PLL/PLL academy I assumed... but this seems like another unexpected reason.

Hartzell is one of the best long-stock field defenders in the world and played 5 seasons in the NLL with the Stealth and Wings back in the early 2010s. Should be interesting to see how he does with the time off.

2. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

Filed under he who gives a flying **** category
    He sucked on the wings

3. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Such a great Wings tenure that I dont recognize the name.

4. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

He played all of 2013 with the Wings. Sucked. Not surprisingly, that was also the last time he played in the NLL.

Expansion is a rough bitch.

theSloth and RockStar like this.
  5. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

just wait until the next 50 guys and 6 tenders on the depth chart all have NLL jobs.....

6. RockStar

I mean ice hockey has like like 4million participants in each of Canada and US, 20 whatever times as many as all forms of lacrosse, and even they know better than to add more than one top tier team every several years.......

7. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

So....one expansion team should boast both Thrillis and Toros on the roster, yes?

8. 1sttimelongtime

1sttimelongtime Active Member

In this sport if it isn't growing it is dying. I have fond memories of the 80's when the talent was thinner but exciting.

9. RockStar

I know what you mean - CLaX was a collection of the Ontario guys that were going to challenge for NLL jobs on teams 10 through 14, so, it was like halfway between regular season Sr. B and Sr. A for talent pool

I still enjoyed the games more than most NLL games I saw that year - Ironman/smashmouth full floor lacrosse.....would have reminded guys like you of MILL....difference would have been no superstars, but still higher average sticks and box IQ.

1sttimelongtime likes this.
  10. 1sttimelongtime

1sttimelongtime Active Member

I do admit that the skill level of the officiating will probably suffer.

11. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

I fear for the talent level in the co-ed box leagues after the NLL starts throwing around their big buck sucking up all their players.

RockStar likes this.
  12. RockStar

There are, apparently, not enough "really good" refs to do a weekend of NLL as it stands now.

In Ontario, the "depth" gets really apparent at that point of the season where all four elite leagues are running at the same time, and some of them have compressed schedules due to trying to cram two or four 5 to 7 game playoff series into 8 to 10 days.......

As for the player pool, a bigger pro league will eventually lead to more participation (if it doesn't just collapse onto itself), but, any influx of game-ready Canadian players won't be ready for the league for another ~10 years (if they give up NCAA eligibility) and the new Yank players who pursue the college opportunity will not be ready for ~15 years.

Ontario is the epi-centre of the box universe, and, it cannot produce players any faster than it does (registration has had a huge drop over the last five years, FWIW). Take the 25 -50 best players from ALL, and, there's maybe one or two bottom half NLL teams

You could raid the First Nations for players, but.....even with high participation rates, I think you are maybe looking at 100-200K total population of Haudenosaunee between Ontario, Quebec and NY. Take the 25 to 50 best players from here, and, there's another one or two bottom half NLL teams.

The next 50 or so Americans on the depth chart maybe have a bit more promise due to possible higher level of raw athleticism, but......you're not going to convince all of them to play, so, you're scraping the next 150 for one to two teams worth.

There, we're at 16, and, the lower half of the league talent pool is diluted to a step and a half above a competitive men's rec league :(

Then, there's the coaches and GMs......at a certain point, you will be into interviewing guys who have experience with a 'Midget' A level rep team in Ontario.........

Just not the same depth as hockey with nearly 8 figures worth of participants, countless elite junior/senior and minor pro development leagues......If they know that major pro expansion needs to be done slowly and carefully, the NLL needs to heed this lesson.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019 at 10:18 AM