Lacrosse fever taking hold in Saskatoon

Discussion in 'Saskatchewan Rush Forum' started by fadlaxdad, Apr 6, 2016.

1. fadlaxdad

fadlaxdad Member

Another great local article:

http://thestarphoenix.com/sports/local-sports/saskatoon-and-the-nll-its-been-quite-a-rush

Seems like the only complaint is the loud music played throughout the game. My own personal view is blast the music during play stoppages but not during the actual game. The players and fans should concentrate on the action. Less of a circus, more of a pro sporting event. Can you imagine blasting out "Jumpin' Jack Flash" at Wimbledon?

Plenty of comments in other forums about how the current NLL game is less entertaining than it used to be. Saskatoon so far has got to be proof in point that the game as it is today can draw plenty of fans and bucketfulls of entertainment value.

How many fans stick with the team next year, or stick with the team if they have a sub-par season will have to remain to be seen. All I know is that this is a relatively young team with top draft picks in the next few seasons and they will not be out of the hunt for playoffs for the next 5 years at least.

If this team manages to clinch another league title this year, the roof is coming off the arena in Toon town and the rest of Canada is going to take notice.

I am hoping for the Rush to repeat again this year a) because they are a good team and b) because the impact it will have on moving lacrosse into the collective Canadian sport consciousness will be enormous.

No Canadian hockey teams in the NHL playoffs this year - maybe CBC should broadcast a Rush playoff game.

2. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

The music is a sore point for purists. I've come around to where I'm fine with it. As long as the music has a driving beat and an edge, and it's at a sane volume, it's tolerable.

Mercifully, this season has been OK in Toronto - they are no longer trying to puncture my eardrums and cave in my chest like last year.......a few games it was only marginally quieter than the Iron Maiden concert I just witnessed at the same building last Sunday!

Glad Sask is taking to the Rush. I've adopted them as my West/Second team and I hope this is the start of a long and prosperous relationship. Wishing they could lose the Rider green tho....makes it harder to like them.

3. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

At Black Wolves home games, the music is usually too loud. It was very distracting when I saw the game on 25 MAR against ROC. Often, I put my fingers in my ears and just tried to concentrate on the game. The loud obnoxious young azzholes next to me didn't help.

So, I swore that, for the remaining games, I'd wear earplugs. I put them in and had a wonderful experience and was mesmerized by the game - it reinvigorated how much I love it. I pulled my earplugs out a few times to see if I was overreacting about the sound; nope, I was right all-along to have brought those earplugs. Now, I keep my earplugs in the same envelope that I keep my tickets and can happily ignore the overpowering loudness of the music. (The muffled music with the earplugs actually was decent...)

4. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

If I don't get an error message, I'm going to post the Saskatoon Star Phoenix article here for posterity; it's a good one and I know that I'll be referencing it in the future.

By the way, notice two things:
    1. The author, Kevin Mitchell, is the Sports Editor for the newspaper.
    2. This is an article from Tuesday... a midweek article. What other newspaper has an NLL article outside of the 3-day period from day-before-game to day-after-game?

Seriously, Kevin Mitchell should win the Borrelli Award this year. I think it's a no-brainer and his efforts are definitely having a positive impact on the attendance success of this team.

http://thestarphoenix.com/sports/local-sports/saskatoon-and-the-nll-its-been-quite-a-rush

5. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Seriously, when the f*ck is IL going to spend some time, energy, and money to fix this f*cking BB so that, unlike now, we don't get the zombie horde of errors that we didn't get 3 or 4 years ago?

6. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Saskatoon and the NLL? It's been quite a Rush

StarPhoenix Sports Editor Kevin Mitchell
    Kevin Mitchell, Saskatoon StarPhoenix

Published on: April 5, 2016 | Last Updated: April 5, 2016 6:47 PM CST

7. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

8. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Active Member

I know why you're doing it, but it's a little hard to complain that the boards throw up errors every time you try to post copyrighted material here.

9. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

There are less than 20 full time posters
    I don't think they care

10. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

That's not why I get burned. Sometimes, it's a relative "kernel 32" error.... too long. Years ago, the software let us know that and told us by how many characters we were over. Now, we get the BB equivalent of a "Check Engine" light.

And, and by the way, I am using it under fair use - I give credit to the source and the link to the source (and, notice, accessing the source is free so there's no tangible fiscal damage) - in fact, my efforts help their marketing; they get financial reward. Furthermore, intend to use this article in the future to make points in arguments with naysayers and, finally, since websites are dynamic, there'd be no other way to guarantee the article remains accessible.

11. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

We need to change that...

12. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

vin;
    i am one of the remaining long time posters here. but it is the rise of social media and lack of nll support for this site. they only link to IL's indoor page, no link that I can find to the boards.
    commish is right, NLL has a way to go in building an on line anything.
    also, we are just too nice now. the not so PC banter that used to be so prevalent on here is so much like the NLL target audience nowadays. the family friendly appeal is ho-hum, whatever, you got vanilla ice cream....not much spirit. the boards in our beer swilling trailer park white trash talking days were a blast and a reason to sneek a post or two during work.

13. Rottenrocker

Rottenrocker Member

I agree with Doug (as usual) and I find myself counting the days until the summer ball season begins because it's got more bite and spirit than what the NLL is putting out on the floor.

14. KHawkTobey

KHawkTobey Member

The local paper writes about the team and it equates to success in the stands? Imagine that. Rochester sportswriters don't even realize Knighthawks is spelled with a K. But rest assured, they spell all the names of the Bills' players correctly... :doh:

But of course that has nothing to do with the fact that Knighthawks attendance has stagnated at 8K. The media tells the sheeple what is important. In Saskatoon, it's the Rush. In Rochester, it's the Bills - and only the Bills. Check Democrat and Chronicle.com sometime and you'll see what I mean.

15. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

I think local media coverage is a huge piece of the puzzle. Rochester is a team that should be playing to full buildings every game but as you said they do not get the deserved coverage.

16. jetman

jetman Active Member

If the coverage of Saturday night's game was the same in the print edition as it was on the website, it was a disgrace. Small writeup, no player/coaches reactions, no tidbits of information... It was almost like the paper didn't even bother to send a writer out to the game. While that's understandable if the game is quite a distance away, this was a game that was only 75 miles from Rochester - there's no excuse for such poor coverage. The Hawks deserve better. Thank god we have Budd Bailey doing such a good job covering the Bandits for the Buffalo News. And props to whoever is covering the Rush in Saskatoon as well.

17. KHawkTobey

KHawkTobey Member

What you saw online is exactly what is printed in the so-called "local" newspaper. Believe me when I say that besides Bob Matthews (who posts an online, but non-print column), the 'Hawks get minimal coverage by the local press. The assigned K'Hawk Beat writer, Sal Maiorana, will cover anything Bills related but ignores the Hawks. i wrote him about his lack of K'Hawk coverage and his reply was "Really? Be serious".

And this is the biggest kick to the groin: the Democrat and Chronicle office is literally, really... literally across the street from the BCA and we get "Staff Reports" about the game. But there are a half-dozen local sports reporters at every Bills game, "just 75 miles away".

As you can probably tell, I am thoroughly disgusted with the sports media in this town. I cancelled my D&C subscription long ago. When the called to ask why, I told them "I'd like to subscribe to a local paper, not the Buffalo News." Not a word was said in reply.

18. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I wonder if the D&C's relative lack of coverage is indirectly due to the change in ownership. 10 years ago, KHawks got better press and that is likely due to former owner Steve Donner who also was part of the ownership of the Americans, I believe. Donner was a story himself, so his being covered by the press would also cause some coverage of the KHawks who were excellent then. Once Curt Styres bought the team, maybe the KHawks are the only story here. Furthermore, Donner was local while Styres is not. I can't help but wonder if racism could be an issue or nepotism. If you remember, Grant was gone and nephew Cody was promoted. This may have changed the D&C's attitudes towards covering the KHawks.

Meanwhile, this Sal guy seems like a real douche.... like Mark Singlaise in Albany.

19. jetman

jetman Active Member

I am curious as to whether the D&C's coverage of the Knighthawks is more or less equal to the coverage they give to Rochester's other small professional teams. Rochester is kind of the king of minor league sports franchises (of which most people would, unfortunately, consider the Hawks), so maybe the folks at the paper don't feel these minor teams deserve the same coverage that the major league Bills and Sabres (as well as Syracuse's major college teams) get. Wouldn't mind hearing the thoughts from someone at the D&C about this.

20. KHawkTobey

KHawkTobey Member

I have no doubt that this is indeed the case here in Rochester. And in all honesty the Bills, Sabres, and to a lesser extent the Orange have a much bigger national footprint than anything Rochester has to offer sports-wise (with the exception of golf tournaments). Even so, the local teams should be getting a fair shake with the media. The AAA Red Wings get decent coverage, but then again they play nearly every day. The AHL Americans get decent coverage, especially when they are winning. The 'Hawks seem to be the red-headed stepchild.

Good luck getting anyone at the D&C to comment on this.