Lacrosse fever taking hold in Saskatoon

Discussion in 'Saskatchewan Rush Forum' started by fadlaxdad, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Last Game is Sold-Out Already

Saskatoon Rush just announced on their Facebook feed that they have sold-out the SaskTel Centre for their Saturday night game against Colorado - the last home game of the season. They've sold-out 3 days before game day!

2. Rigger

Rigger New Member

Good on ya Saskatchewan. Glad to see it working out so well for Bruce. Northlands and the Oilers really tried to screw him over and get the team for peanuts! You folks have a great team that deserves the support.. but I still want to see my Roughnecks beat you in the playoffs!:)

3. Riders78

Riders78 New Member

They are selling 2017 season tickets early and people can buy a 2016 playoff ticket. The phones have been ringing off the hook and the Rush twitter feed said they sold 750 season tickets yesterday alone. Things seem to be going real well on the business side.

4. GoKHawksGo

GoKHawksGo Active Member

When was the last time ANY regular season game was sold out at least 3 days ahead?

5. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Sold-out and then some! 15027 in that final game!

6. coachcam

coachcam New Member

I have been to a couple games there. The rush put on a great show and the Fans are eating it up. Great move by Bruce Urban. Was reading they have sold more merchandise this year in sask than they have there entire exsistance in edmonton. Not sure if its true or not but its insane. The players are even eating it up. They arent used to the HUGE following thats happening there. Im definetly going to be going to more game in sask next year

7. Already sold 11,000 for the May 21st playoff game, according to Twitter. That game should easily sell out with this much advance notice.

I am interested to see what happens if they only have a week to sell for a second playoff date. I'm sure they will have a huge crowd too, but it will be interesting to see.

8. KHawkTobey

KHawkTobey Member

Not to hi-jack this thread (and congrats to the Rush!) but check the Sports on tab on today's democratandchronicle.com. Over 10,000 at the game in Rochester (a lot of Bandit fans) last night and that's the "coverage" we get. Oh, but be sure to catch the fluff piece about the Bill's past draft picks... :doh:

Man, I wish our local media respected the 'Hawks the way Saskatoon does the Rush!

9. unspoken

unspoken Member

Well, to be fair, the local media here wasn't fully on board until they were pretty much forced to be when attendances started going over 10,000. There's 3 local TV stations and really the only one who was truly on board from the beginning was Global. CTV and CBC came along after, as well as the Star Phoenix newspaper. The local radio sports shows weren't covering it at all until late because they were too busy discussing every little thing about the Roughriders (Canadian Football League team) who's season didn't start for 6 months.

One thing that I don't think gets enough credit for the success here, although it will sound a little self serving, is the power of word of mouth from the early adopter fans. Anywhere I would wear Rush merch, people would stop and ask questions about the game. And I certainly wasn't alone in that. This group was out convincing people to go and buy a $22 ticket from the Co-op or a $25 GA ticket from ticketmaster and check it out once, and it helped a bunch. They returned and brought their friends with them, and sat in the better seats too. Not saying the team's staff didn't have a part in it, they certainly did a great job. Apparently season ticket sales for next year are up 600% from last year already.

Another great sign of the (hopeful) staying power of the game here - I heard a story somewhere that registration for kids in lacrosse (either field or box) has tripled in Saskatoon as compared to last year's numbers. Should be a good sign for the Rush as kids and parents involved with the game will also want to see it played at pro levels for years to come.

10. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

The success of the Rush in Saskatoon reminds me of what happened to the Bandits in their 1st season in 1992. Word of mouth really drove the interest in the sport.

11. Riders78

Riders78 New Member

554 tickets left for the playoff game here in Saskatoon. Its going to be awesome tomorrow night. Can't wait!

12. k-hawksfan33

k-hawksfan33 Well-Known Member

God bless Saskatoon they are saving the NLL from irrelevance. I think you could argue (as much as I love Banditland and Colorado) that Saskatoon is the most supportive city in the league. They've really accepted this team and I think this is exactly what the league needs more of if it wants to be taken seriously.

13. buffalomike

buffalomike New Member

thats cute. Laughable, but cute.

14. k-hawksfan33

k-hawksfan33 Well-Known Member

Well Saskatoon supported their team a little better than the Buffalo tonight by drawing over a thousand more fans ☕️

I'd love to hear why you think this statement is so ridiculous

15. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

They outdrew the Bandits tonight so maybe think before you speak asshat

16. GoodsOnSabres

GoodsOnSabres Member

A bit bummed to see Sask outpace Buffalo tonight, but I'm not surprised. This is still new to the Rush fans. First playoff game at home will get a big crowd. Just hoping that the fervor doesn't wear off. They've pretty much been the ideal for a relocated team.

17. BigDave

BigDave Active Member

Awww, little Mikey must be b***hurt that the Bandits are going to the championship without his little buddy Darris.

18. jetman

jetman Active Member

The Rush came into the city as a championship caliber team. Every one loves a winner. There's the novelty factor.

Great for the Rush drawing better than the Bandits last night. The Bandits have a 25 year history of fan support. The Rush have 10 games. Once the team isn't as good and the novelty factor wears off, the level of support will drop off. Right now the Rush fans are simply enjoying the ride. Good for them.

19. buffalomike

buffalomike New Member

Ok dick breath, 25 years of support > 1 year of support of a team that is arguably best in league. So perhaps we shouldn't be anointing them the best fanbase yet.

20. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

Apparently "butt" is censor-worthy now.