Lacrosse night in Halifax!

Discussion in 'ILIndoor Forum' started by Dev0, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Dev0

Dev0 Guest

Seems like this should happen every game night with our own Theme song!

Apparently on a local talk show Curt Styres said they will need about 6500 fans a game to break even, this will take some doing. I think it is possible but it will really depend on how much work they put into trying to grow the spot grass roots, on top of giving tickets away that were likely not going to be sold to special groups or at a reduced cost to get people in the stadium to see the product.

Lacrosse in Nova Scotia had a recent spike a few years back and I'd say it is on the downward trend again but it is for sure saveable. The biggest thing will be not having a expansion team I think if you brought a losing team here or one that maybe not competitive out of the gates that would be a killer.

If at all possible they need to try and get some pro's out to some of the local schools and give those tickets I mentioned earlier away to the kids. Maybe some programs at schools in conjunction with lacrosse Nova Scotia to teach kids how to play.

I just started playing again this season after about 17 years, basically I was getting fat and the health problems that come with that as you reach 40, so I thought of no better way to get in shape then to play lacrosse again. I've been teaching a friend to play and now another friend of mine's kid has expressed interest in the sport. So far I played in a Masters Tournament which is of coarse no contact, but next season I plan to play Sr Mens for 1 season just I guess as a prove it to myself that I can do it, but after that I would have to choose to play or watch the Pro team because the Sr Mens play on Tuesdays and Thursdays which I think is when the NLL plays.

The last thing I will say is everyone should pump their breaks on the CFL coming to Halifax. A lot of people want it and a lot of people do not, there is no Stadium and we have been awarded a CFL team before and because we would not build a stadium we did not get a team. People are almost becoming hostile about the subject here because there is a massive number of people without Doctors in our province, good luck convincing people to spend money on a stadium that in most cases lose money.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  2. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, why would someone oppose the CFL team? If you don’t like it, then don’t go.

3. Dev0

Dev0 Guest

No one opposes a CFL team they oppose a massive tax investment into building a stadium

4. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

That makes way more sense.

5. Dev0

Dev0 Guest

I mean I did say this in the original post..

6. R.J

R.J Guest

No one is opposed to the team coming in; it's the $170 - 190 million dollars from the Halifax and Nova Scotia taxpayers for a stadium that's being opposed. Aside from annual operation costs of the proposed stadium; Leblanc & Co. are putting in zero for the stadium.

This is 1982 all over again - the Team has a name, but no stadium lol.

7. Dev0

Dev0 Guest

I would also say currently is not exactly the time Nova Scotia should be taking this kind of risk on something that almost always loses money. I love the idea of a CFL team but in the current climate this is a really hard sell.

8. R.J

R.J Guest

Taxes just went up again due to the Library and Convention Centre... I wish them luck trying to ask the taxpayers for more.

9. Dev0

Dev0 Guest

oh man this feels so much better now that I have my Avatar of my Brisket... phew

10. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

It should be a red plastic beehive hat