Lacrosse team leads "Baby, It's Cold Outside" singalong amid song controversy

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by Vin, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

2. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

I'm sick of all this PC crap, makes me support the rush more

Vin likes this.
  3. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Well-Known Member

While I think the outrage over the song is overblown (the song was written in the 40's and a lot of context is missing or ignored), I'm not sure what the point of this whole event was. Play the song and get the fans to sing along, sure, whatever. But why bother getting the players involved?

4. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

Whatever you think about the controversy, it appears the Rush owner was deliberately trolling. Not a great way to attract new fans.

5. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

Considering it made national news, I 100% disagree.

6. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

I guess if you believe all press is good press....

To me, the story just seems like it feeds into existing negative stereotypes about lacrosse.

7. Wings-4-Life

Because they sung a Christmas song that literally only one radio station in America is upset bout?

8. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

It's been debated more widely than that.

9. Wings-4-Life

Yes, because of how ridiculous it is.

Upon further review, 3 stations across the country banned it, and one of those just reinstated it yesterday after conducting a poll and realizing no one cared.

10. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

I don't really have a problem with the song, although I can understand the criticism. My point was the owner deliberately leaning into the controversy seemed unnecessarily alienating. And for those who do have a problem with the song, it will be further confirmation that lacrosse is made up of right-wing frat boys.

11. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

Socially the Canadian prairies are almost opposite to Ontario / usa so doing something controversial would be a positive ting

12. Bandits37

Bandits37 Active Member

13. AFedyk

AFedyk Guest

I agree, I was at the game and nobody had a problem with it. On the Rush facebook comments there was maybe 1 or 2 out of 1000 that had a problem with it.

14. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Next time it's cold and snowy outside, I'll encourage my lady friend to leave. Problem solved. Then I can be accused of not being loving enough. IT'S A VICIOUS CYCLE!

15. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

I love old Christmas music, but this one has really lost context over time. It is a playful song of 2 people wanting to be together, but the times meant they should not. In today's context, it sounds somewhat sinister. Should the team have done this in today's context and hyper sensitivity....no.

16. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

NLL is not big enough to have a sterotype