#LaddyWasFramed

Discussion in 'Toronto Rock Forum' started by RockStar, Dec 16, 2017.

1. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

100 goals in six games is on a pace to smash 2005 by a fair bit.......that's a three-hundy pace for the longer 18 game season, which seems ridiculous, and, only in my wildest dreams do I hope to see it.

I can't wait to see the numbers at the 16 game milepost. Wiki tells me 227 in 2005 is the benchmark.

2. RockStar

Anaconda is right, but, hell, who saw the current four game streak coming after week 2, and, after much of last year with the lefty corps that was putting up like, 3, in a lot of the games, and the entire group going into stealth-mode for entire quarters, and, even 25 minute time blocks!?

Let's just hope they can get what they need out of the D and score enough to close out the year .500 or better on the road, and better still at home. That punches the playoff ticket probably with at least first round home floor. Anything better than that is gravy

The Georgia and Colorado games are going to be really interesting. The next Sask game too.

3. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

What's crazy is that they only scored 18 goals through the first 2 games, so they've scored 82 goals in the past 4 games :eek:

The 6 game goal pace is set to score 266 goals through 16 games, a tidy 17.2% increase over the 2005 team!

4. AmericanRockFan

I definitely didn't see them exploding to this level like they have, and I don't think anyone could honestly say that they knew this team would score 20+ in 4 straight weeks. But I did things would get better at the very least.

5. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Active Member

You spoke too soon. Manning can't make adjustments when plan A goes off the rails. If you control breakaways and block the centre lane the Rock will crumble.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    RockStar likes this.
  6. RockStar

Back to stupid reality.

Score makes the defence look shitty, but, they popped a few in garbage time......at that point, it was pretty damned clear that the offence was going to be nearly skunked for an entire half, and I can understand deciding it is not worth worrying about the stop, and, might as well just dish out a few high, ugly hits.

There is talent here, someone better figure out a way to help them pop more than 8 against the shittiest/second shittiest team in the league. If they were to decide that that someone was not Manning, I would not question that decision.

What else?

Major on Jones looked a little soft. I mean, you have to penalize that, but, 5 seemed much....at least when I saw it at full speed. Might have to watch it again.

A little pissed that the first goal on the major came right after a Rock ball carrier took a solid cross check to the numbers and turned it over.....I think that brought Calgary within one, or maybe tied, and it all turned to **** from there.

7. CrocodileLax

I wanted to grouse about the bad call too but Calgary played a great game and deserved the win. The Rock can't win if they can't score. Calgary didn't let them score. I doubt the Rock would've been as rattled by the major penalty and non-call if they'd potted more goals by that point.

8. RockStar

Yep. Just that at that point they had an almost respectable goal count, a lead, and had yet to allow any meaningful Calgary run.

Wheels came off right after.

9. RockStar

Just had a looksie at the box score.

Reminded me of what I already knew - Another Manning special

Lefty attack nearly goose-egged (Jones 1, nothing else).

Righty attack stymied - 4 at even strength, 5 total. Hickey invisible except for the powerplay snipe early.

D was OK through 3, but, mailed it in when it was clear that their teammates weren't going to put up enough for any effort to matter.

Better bounce back next week for a divisional game against a team that also just gave up 16 in their own barn.

10. CrocodileLax

Other patterns of concern:

1. Their penalty kill is awful. This isn't Manning's fault though the problem becomes more significant when the O disappears.
    2. The O remains streaky. In fairness, no team will score 20 or more every game. But I'm looking at Manning's entire tenure, not just the last 4 or 5 games. The O looks exceptional for a patch and then disappears. And when it vanishes it's god awful. There's no middle ground. A team with this many offensive weapons should never be held to 2 goals in a half.
    3. There's always a talented offensive player disappearing, even when the O clicks. Leblanc was sent packing for vanishing. Now Hickey's languishing as Rockstar correctly noted. He has 21 points in 7 games, despite the Rock scoring 20 or more for a four game stretch. Giving the ball more frequently to Hellyer, Jones and Schrieber is going to reduce Hickey's output but on nights when one of those big names struggle, it would be nice to see Hickey step up. That isn't happening -- Hickey shares some of that blame but strong coaching keeps players motivated and ready to contribute. Hickey looks uninspired, to say the least, as did Leblanc before him.
    4. Using Schrieber as the on-floor general, even when he's off. Schrieber's a great player. But he's streaky. When he's off, better use could be made of Hellyer as the general, including more use of the chemistry between Hickey and Hellyer. There was some evidence of the switch as Hellyer was the only multiple goal scorer. But little was done to capitalize on his playmaking, particularly with Dan Craig and Hickey.
    5. Repeating the same shots. Early on, the Rock kept shooting at the goalie's feet which was useless. They had better luck over the shoulder off the screen. The goalie adjusted. The Rock returned to shooting at the feet. Then back to shooting over the shoulder. Little attempt was made to get the goalie to slide. Or to get behind the net to set up a pass to a breaking player. Or to draw the Roughneck D to the side, away from the centre lane -- the specific adjustments don't matter as much as the fact the team falls into predictable, easily defended set plays.
    6. Poor use of secondary offensive players. Lintner's essentially off the team. He brings high energy to the lineup and changing rosters keeps the opposition guessing. And why not have Schrieber fake a few passes to Hellyer or Hickey and feed Craig instead? Or move Hellyer to the point and have him do the same?

Any team worth their salt will now have the Rock scouted and will be all too happy to jam the centre lane and shoot low on Rose frequently, forcing him to come to his knees which blocks outlet passes until the opposition can field their D, eliminating transition goals. Manning won't have an answer. He has to find one.

RockStar likes this.
  11. RockStar

i have to hope Manning, or if not Manning, Sawyer, can run an analysis to the same level.

Hasen and Otoole probably can, and they will have their guys starting their game with the same stuff that Calgary finished it with.

hoping this is the last stinker, that they can get Hickey going, and get a bunch more crossfloor feeds happening......

I think you have to scratch one of the lefties for Lintner just to have one attacker that the KHawks dont have five games of film on.

12. CrocodileLax

Agreed re: Lintner. The Rock as a whole need to do more to keep the opposition guessing. Switching lineups could be part of that strategy.

13. AmericanRockFan

• In fairness, there's only one ball to go around and up to three points to award on a goal, so I don't have much of an issue with Hickey's decreased production. He's always been more of a goal scorer than a playmaker, and if the 4th leading scorer on the team is on pace for 54ish points, I'll take it. Would I like to see him score more? Of course, but there's only one ball to go around. I think Hickey is fine in his role for the most part. When you say he looks uninspired, that might be a case of being more overshadowed this year than he was last year. Last year, the offense was led by him and Schreiber. This year, Jones and Hellyer are ahead of him on the depth chart, so I think it could be semi-natural for there to be some sort of attitude shift (not justifying it, just saying I understand it) if there indeed is one in regard to Hickey.
    • To be honest, I've kinda viewed Jones or Hellyer as the general on the floor this year more than I have Schreiber.
    • I agree, shot variety needs to change.
    • In regards to Lintner, who would you sit in favor of him? I like Lintner and am happy he's on the team, but who takes a seat in the stands in favor of him? I'm all aboard the Reid Reinholdt bandwagon, but I would consider benching him in favor of Lintner just to mix things up.

Will the Rock ever win another game? I have my doubts, but I think they're capable of pulling out a 5th win of the season at some point in 2018.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  14. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Seriously? You have doubts that highest scoring team in the East won't win more than 1 more game this season? Am I reading that right?? :eek:

15. RockStar

I thought McArdle and Reinholdt both deserved to be sat next game.

Flip a coin.

16. AmericanRockFan

I'm happy someone picked up on the sarcasm :)

17. AmericanRockFan

I wasn't that high on McArdle last season, but based on what I've seen in 2018 I would take McArdle over Reinholdt right now.

18. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

You need to work on your message board sarcasm. Maybe try a :D or a :p or something to make it more obvious.

19. RockStar

I dont think McArdle took a single smart shot that made it through the crowd and ended up on net.

Reinholdt did not really accomplish anything of note either, and for that matter neither did Craig.

I say let's see Lintner.

20. CrocodileLax

I don't have a problem with Hickey's overall production, for the reasons you've identified. What's worrying me is that his production remains low when Schrieber, Jones and/or Hellyer have an off-night. In those cases, I'd like him to pick up the slack. If he isn't a significant threat, it gets easier for other teams to key in on the big three and makes the attack more predictable.

As you noted elsewhere, the Rock will win plenty more games. I suspect they'll earn a high playoff seed. But I don't give a rats ass if they win 20-9 for weeks on end or finish with a 15-3 regular season record. The cup's all that matters and I'm worried that Manning will be out coached when everything's on the line.

As much as I grouse about him, the Rock are better off keeping him around, however the team's performing. A replacement won't be easily found. And perhaps the Calgary game was a blip -- off nights happen. Maybe he's the real deal and just needs a bit more time to fully click with the reconfigured team. All I ask is that if the O puts up single digit numbers in games that matter, he be shown the door in the offseason. It sucks watching a talented team sputter. Hopefully, he's already working on changes that'll get them back in form. Time will tell.