Latest New Trademarks

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by Vin, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

2. AFedyk

AFedyk Guest

I don’t mind the Atlantic Highlanders and New York Force

3. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I'd rather see the Nova Scotia team be called the Halifax Highlanders than the Atlantic Highlanders. I won't bitch and moan if they were referred to as Atlantic, but I'm more of a fan of teams naming themselves after their city or province. Atlantic seems pretty ambiguous because I feel like any team along the Atlantic coast could claim that name, unlike something like New England.

4. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

Yes, it was discussed in a thread you just posted in:

http://forums.ilindoor.com/threads/major-announcement-coming-next-thursday.322644/

Vin likes this.
  5. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

But they'd be the only team in the Atlantic Time Zone.

6. R.J

R.J Guest

New York Saints and Halifax Privateers would have my vote... if it mattered.

7. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Bring back the Aints

8. Rick716

Rick716 Well-Known Member

I second your motion both. If they are determined to pick from Force, Riptide, or Beacons....I might be inclined to support Beacons since it is unique and plural; Force might be OK too. But really, I don't like any of those 3 and hope enough people write in Saints in the box.

Since they didn't put Saints as one of the 3 choices, I feel like they are trying not to go with it.

9. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I understand not going with the name Saints. For fans like myself, and probably most on here who have an appreciation of the historical context of lacrosse, that name has some nostalgic value of the "better" days of the NLL, but there's probably a sizeable amount too that see that name and perceive it to be a loser franchise that missed the playoffs in 8 of its final 9 seasons and then folded up shop. So I get the NLL and the new owner's perspective of choosing a new name to start with a fresh identity.

10. Wings-4-Life

This. I like the idea of the name Beacons, just not the name itself. Something local and plural.

"Force" just screams NLL bush league.

11. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

Of the three they trademarked, I voted for Beacons. That said, I'm not really sure what kind of beacon it refers to or what the logo might look like.

12. BIG E NY

BIG E NY Active Member

A lighthouse like the islanders old shoulder patch.

13. Wings-4-Life

Long live the fisherman.

BIG E NY likes this.
  14. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

So are Beacons and Riptide references to Long Island? I guess I was hoping for something more inclusive.

What about New York Emperors? You know like, the Empire State?

Tom Wersderfer likes this.
  15. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

A lighthouse. There are several located around Long Island.

16. Wings-4-Life

For reference, here was the Islanders in the 90's:

[​IMG]

17. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Yes. It's an island. Beacons, such as buoys and lighthouses, exist everywhere around the shore of Long Island. A riptide is something that can kill you; it's a strong current that flows away from shore that occurs when waves crash on the shore and the water is going back out to sea.

18. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

If they do choose Beacons, they have to accept the fact everyone will call them the Beaks.

EDIT: I guess of the three they trademarked, I might actually prefer Force. Don't want it to be so Long Island specific.

19. Wings-4-Life

Teams have been using region-specific names since the beginning of time.... it would be dumb to try and please fans of other teams simply because they don't understand.

20. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

You misunderstand. I'm from New York State, not Long Island, so I want a general NY name.