Let's do Manning's job for him ...

Discussion in 'Toronto Rock Forum' started by CrocodileLax, Mar 3, 2018.

1. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Active Member

How do the Rock stop these offensive droughts?

2. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

They score goals. That's how.

3. CrocodileLax

What should they do to score those goals? Push the ball in transition? Wheel offense on pp? Run more cutters?

4. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I ain't knowledgeable of all them there technical strategies and whatnot but I just wanna see them boys put the ball in the net.

In other words, please get well soon Tom Schreiber :)

5. CrocodileLax

Sadly, they've managed to stink with Schrieber around too. He's only part of the solution.'

They have to stop settling for outside shots. I wish they had Beirnes to do more dirty work.

6. New Fan

New Fan Active Member

What the heck has happened to the Rock?

7. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

missing Beirnes hurts a lot

8. RockStar

tonight, Poulin was quick on rebounds mostly, but he still served a few pizzas...if they're going to bomb from 25', they have to be better at digging out the ball for second looks in close with the goalie in scramble mode.

9. CrocodileLax

I'm wondering if they can use Reinholdt and Lintner to pick up trash and Craig to crash the net.

10. RockStar

It's a little bit sad when the guy who is maybe your slightest forward, Lintner, seems to get as many looks on the crease as some of the big bodies out there.

Hickey has been a huge disappointment this year. I was hoping he would get re-purposed into the Beirnes role.....big body with decent hands and all that. No one is getting him the ball, and, he doesn't seem to be manufacturing his own chances either.

11. CrocodileLax

Hickey and Jones are both looking lost of late -- this is more than a single player problem. Without a cohesive strategy, no one can fill a role.

I'm wondering if Hellyer could feed Hickey while Craig, Reinholdt or Lintner create space.

Another option is to take a fast outside shot while a player is on the break, giving them the option of collecting the loosie and passing it to another breaking player -- that way, they move the goalie. Right now, they largely shoot at stationary targets.

12. RockStar

There definitely has to be more motion.....it feels like too many of the sets are perimeter passing until there's nothing left to try but a 25 footer late in the shot clock.

I would like to see a few "set" energy/motion plays mixed in a whole lot more frequently.

I dunno, like, having the bigger/more physical guys on either side try to pull their D men behind the goal line extended, then roll and cut back up floor?

I mean, even if the high guy looks one of these guys off and shoots anyway, at least there's someone on the crease with half a step on his D man......grab the rebound and reload, or try to pot the trash?

Or, if you are strong left with two of the tougher youngsters, maybe a few where the shooter position cuts and crashes while the crease man rolls up to shooter? .....and, if there is no pass coming to shooter he follows the first guy cut and maybe takes a pass on the crease???

Maybe even the old-school John Grant/Shawn Williams special - Grant fires wide off the boards, Williams knows this is coming and grabs the rebound with his hands free and a step on the D-man.

Not hugely complicated stuff, but, mixing up the sets with a few of these patterns in depending on which D are on the floor might work wonders.

13. RockStar

I will say one major positive about the attack last night that I didn't see in the first two games where they got skunked when the game was still on the line:

They did protect the ball a lot better in terms of not taking as many ill-thought hard shots with everyone deep, and either getting back or getting off quickly enough to spring the D.

14. CrocodileLax

You noticed a positive I missed. That is a major improvement. And mixing in some of the sets you mentioned might create the motion they need to score. I hope somebody has Blaine's email. Get in touch ☺

15. RockStar

Tomorrow's game is an extra day after practice, at an odd time, and on the day of the change to daylight savings time.

One of the two teams will look terrible tomorrow. I hope it is NE.

I am mostly sad that I don't get to watch Evans.

16. CrocodileLax

I corrected your typo. You're welcome.

17. RockStar

i am watching Manning's offence.

i would rather be watching almost anything else

18. RockStar

attack has marked two goals.

Aaron Bold! Two frucking goals in nearly an entire half!

19. RockStar

it's an entertaining game, but, attack held to three goals in over 50 mins........come on!

20. RockStar

4 in just over 55.....getting closer to where it needs to be.