Letter From Curt Styres

Discussion in 'Rochester Knighthawks Forum' started by UncleBenny, Sep 13, 2018.

1. UncleBenny

UncleBenny Member

Guess I could read that last line two ways. Wanted to find a good buyer for Rochester to make sure the franchise would be looked after, or HE wants to look after it by taking it with him to Halifax. Feel like it's probably the latter, but still want to cling to a little hope the franchise stays here.

2. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

At least he buttered up the fan base with some good compliments and positivity before giving them the news about Halifax at the very end.

3. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

4. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

5. GoKHawksGo

GoKHawksGo Active Member

He's taking the current team with him, leaving only the name and logo behind

6. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

Jack Goods‏ @GoodsOnSports
    Terry and Kim Pegula will be in Rochester for the #NLL’s announcement at 1 p.m. Sounds like Rochester won’t have to wait long to get their new team.

7. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

A 5 year lease, too.

This makes the most sense......Styres keeps the roster he's built and takes it to another city. Rochester keeps the name and gets an expansion team with a new owner. The league likely brokered this deal and I bet neither Styres nor Pegula pays an expansion fee.

It will be interesting to see how the Hawks in Rochester build their team as an expansion franchise and who they pluck from the Bandits roster when that happens.

8. chuckster

I hope someone has sat the Pegulas down and explained to them what the NLL is. And hopefully, the PR people don't let Terry speak since he would likely put his foot in his mouth and say something stupid. Just sign the checks, Terry. :D

9. IAmDroot

IAmDroot Guest

Maybe no "expansion fee" but, there's got to be SOME money coming to the league to add another team. Maybe some sort of split between Styres & Pegulas?

10. UncleBenny

UncleBenny Member

D&C story seems to indicate that Styres is getting a "new" team. Is it just a new team name on the KHawks franchise or a brand new franchise, somehow keeping the Hawks players? Wish one of these press releases would just detail what's going on, they're all so vague and can be taken multiple ways. I just want to know if the history of the team stays in Rochester or not.

11. JoeWings

JoeWings Active Member

I hope the NLL does to Styers what they did to French at the very least. Take the team and move. But you do not get the history, championships, or the name.
    I feel truly sorry for all the Rochester fans. This is a true kick in the gut (they hit high).
    I hope the team stays, but nothing I've read said Styers is opening a team in Halifax, it said he is moving Rochester to Halifax. Sad times indeed.
    I do hope Rochester gets a new team in the next announcement, and the new ownership has a plan in place to rebuild quickly.

12. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

Obviously we'll know more at 1 pm, but it sounds like the team identity is staying in Rochester. Halifax is getting the players and coaching staff. Definitely a bummer for Knighthawks fans, but better than losing the franchise altogether, which some people were worried about.

13. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

It seems pretty simple. Styres and the Knighthawks are moving to Halifax. They will be the Halifax Privateers. Kinda like the Cleveland Browns did when they moved to Baltimore. They took on a new name and logo, but moved everything else.

Rochester is being granted and expansion team for next season. Since the old team has a new name and logo, the new Rochester team and continue to be the Knighthawks. They'll have to go through the expansion draft, and probably suck for a while. Hopefully it's not as bad as the Browns, who have been trying not to suck unsuccessfully since 1999.

14. MrWilson

MrWilson Member

The 1pm press conference looks like it will be live on nlltv.com

15. UncleBenny

UncleBenny Member

If this is how it ends up playing out, this is the "best case" scenario in my mind. The team, colors, and history belong to Rochester. Styres built the current team and front office, if he took anything other than that with him I'd be pretty pissed, but all around this seems to make sense for both sides. Will probably not end up great for us fans as we'll likely suck post-expansion, but it's better than nothing.

16. MILLwasbetter

MILLwasbetter Well-Known Member

you all just got screwed hard

17. chuckster

A huge piece of this whole thing is that the BCA is also getting $18 million in upgrades including a big/better scoreboard, better dressing rooms, an expansion of the arena, expanded concession areas, improved restrooms, lighting, sound upgrades, etc. Hawks fans shouldn't forget that.

18. Bandits37

Bandits37 Member

I'm sure all 25 of them are super excited

19. GoKHawksGo

GoKHawksGo Active Member

The league does not know if the records will stay in Rochester.

Breland Moore‏ @BrelandMoore 4h4 hours ago
    I asked NLL COO Dave Rowan about the records. He said that will be “worked out later on” but the name and legacy of the Knighthawks will remain here in Rochester.

20. GoKHawksGo

GoKHawksGo Active Member

While that's nice, a new building is what's needed. This is just lipstick, and when later asked about a time frame for improvements, the Mayor said there is no timetable for these to get done...except for the new scoreboard this year.