Major expansion plan...

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by BanditsRock11, Feb 20, 2017.

1. BanditsRock11

BanditsRock11 Active Member

From twitter...

Sources: The @NLL expansion plan will roll out over the next three years.

Targeted cities for next season: Baltimore, Long Island, Montreal

2019: Philadelphia, D.C., Edmonton, Miami

2020: San Francisco

With San Francisco , the Golden State Warriors would be apart of the ownership and they are also in talks with Paul Rabil to join that group

Other potential cities with mild interest right now: Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, Detroit, Ottawa, SLC, Nashville, Brooklyn, St. Louis

Reading more into this, sounds like Baltimore and Long Island are locks for next year...

2. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

San Francisco is a pretty interesting choice.

Now, while I think Montreal could work as a viable market in the NLL a second time around, I did think of one thing: there's only one Quebec native in the NLL right now and it's Angus Goodleaf.

Of the cities listed, I'd really like to see Philadelphia, New York, Montreal, DC/Baltimore, and Pittsburgh get teams. Do I think all of them would be viable? We'll see. But I'd like to see this league first settle on 12 viable teams before expanding as much as they seem to aspire to.

3. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

Well if a team goes back to Long Island just remove Brooklyn off the list even after the islanders leave Barclays I don't think there's nearly enough interest in men's indoor lacrosse to sustain 2 teams in the metro New York area

4. WingsNut423566

WingsNut423566 Active Member

5. Hollywood42

6. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Pittsburgh failed badly twice, the game I went to had less than 1000 people. Washington failed twice. Baltimore still only has the old baltimore arena. That place seemed rundown in 1998. I am fine with trying the Isle, in the revamped mausoleum. Dont know anything about Montreal. I am wondering if they are holding up on philly since Villanova will be gobbling up dates at the WFC.

At what point does the talent dilution ruin the game?

7. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

Seems like a lot of recycled markets. Nothing interesting to see here until we have more concrete info.

8. WingsNut423566

WingsNut423566 Active Member

9. BlackWolves99

BlackWolves99 Member

Depending how true this is, this would be interesting. I can see Long Island and Montreal starting up right away due to their arena situations. Long Island with the revamped Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum and Montreal with the Centre Bell. Baltimore, I feel should be joined with the DC area, and will be a stretch with an aging arena without another sport in the arena there.

Otherwise, for me, a 16 team league would be nice to see in the future. There would be questions though about division splitting though down the road as it already is a bit of a log jam in the east with 5 versus the 4 in the West and with most the teams being added in Eastern cities.

10. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

I agree that there is no way you aim for two teams in the NYC metro area, but, I wonder if Barclay's is a better bet than Nassau Cty.

It's 30 miles closer to whatever few hundred fans might make a trip from CT and NJ area suburbs, it is on a subway line, and appears to have 'stuff' around it - hotels, restaurants, bars - as opposed to being in the middle of a suburban wasteland.......

11. BlackWolves99

BlackWolves99 Member

I think 2 teams in the NY metro area doesn't make sense for right now. I do think however that as it would most likely be the Lizards ownership who is going to be trying to make this work, I think they would be looking to have the team located nearby where the Lizards currently play in Hempstead.

12. RockStar

Well, if you add three teams:

-You'd be making room for the top 25% of the second tier pro box league, plus an equal number of American-born novice projects. There are certainly good players in both of those groups, but, there are not many that are going to do much beyond filling spots 13-20 on rosters with players that mostly aren't quite as good as the 13-20 guys are today. It will make the games less predictable, but, I'm pretty sure it mostly will not make them better.......

-Today, at the midpoint, you have Buffalo and Rochester bringing up the rear. Expansion by 3 means you still have those two, plus perhaps as many as three more that are even less happy for hometown fans to watch. (Although, even the 'good' teams will get a bit weaker so, maybe the parity will remain similar.....)

-There already are not enough A+ goalies for each of nine teams to have one now, so, there's a wee drop off to be expected. Some poor team will be stuck with the guy that wins the "best-goalie-to-shoot-on" award. I know some of you want more goals, but, it's kind of shitty watching one team's tender stop 78% while the other guy stops 65%.

I say 11 or 12 teams is where the die hards like us start noticing that it's not really as good. More than 12 (without a serious increase in development league capacity) will take it to an ugly place that I don't want to see.

13. RockStar

Is this the point where the league has its "Road to Damascus" moment and realizes that divisions cause more trouble than they solve?

In all seriousness, if you have 12 teams, and you need divisions, I think you do a North and a South division until the west fills out enough.

Buffalo and Rochester are staffed almost 100% by folks who live as close to Toronto as they do to Buffalo or Rochester. Put these two in a division with Toronto, Saskatoon, Calgary. Vancouver. Put everyone else in the South Division.

As for the schedule - home and home with each divisional opponent, alternating home games with out-of-division (i.e. each year you get a home game with half and a road game with the other half, and then you flip it the next year). Nice 16 game format with balance for divisional tiebreakers.

(I guess If Montreal joins, that buggers this scheme up, so......either Buffalo or Rochester gets screwed? or something else? Or, we just say "**** divisions because they're dumb"??? :) )

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  14. Hollywood42

Add in current starting goalies in the twilights of their careers
    Cosmo is winding down , Vinc will be 35 before next season, the stealths goalie situation is poor
    Even before I saw this post I was about to say box quality elite goalies are hard to find

15. RockStar

There are two goals - a) win lacrosse games, b) sell tickets to lacrosse games. If they think they can do a better job of these in Uniondale, I have to hope they know the area and their potential fan base better than me.

It is technically possible that they have a well thought out business plan and marketing plan that conclude that deeper out on the Island is a happier home.

Thing is, I've been watching the NLL for a long time, and, I figure most of these plans are written on the back of a box of Marlboros while the management group are crushing beers at a titty bar. :)

Good luck, and God bless. I'd love to add NYC back to the list of potential victim cities for the Rock Roadies

16. tydoggz

tydoggz Member

Although I am all for expansion and growing the league does it not make more sense to gain strength in current markets and the league all together. Vancouver and Georgia are struggling at the gate. Can we not try and improve those situations before adding other cities that may or may not flop. Also, digital platforms and websites just started. A focus on improving these should be number one priority before enticing new fans to sub par products. Finally, the sport is starting to grow globally. Work with grass roots to improve play and increase interests which will add to talent pool. Expansion maybe but not for a few years in secured cities and ownership that will work. At least focus on current situation and improving it for next two or three years.

17. RockStar

I agree with you, Ty, but, I think if there are top drawer ownership groups ready with a solid plan and money to burn in big cities that you maybe have to add 2 now.

18. RockStar

Now that I take an inventory, a lot of the 'youngsters', like, Kirk, Richards, Poulin and Bold are either pushing 30, or on the North side of it already!

Not a lot of youngsters coming in and getting these guys demoted to veteran backup status, eh?

That's the thing with box tenders - even if the guy is by far the best graduate from Junior, it can take years before he's a legit pro starter, and there are zero guarantees that they ever develop to that level.

So, you go past 12 teams, and, as many as half will not have a chance because their tender isn't world class, and, the rest of the talent is a bit thinner, so, it's even tougher to cover up for a lesser goalie.

19. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

Summer 2019 NLL folds

RockStar likes this.
  20. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

Last time the league looked to split divisions north south was considered however Buffalo/Rochester/Toronto all demanded same division and Philadelphia demanded Buffalo which blocked any plan from happening
    I would guess Colorado would scream at losing it three current division rivals and going to a division with Georgia and New England and three teams to be named latter.
    I am on record for one division balanced scheduled until 16 teams then two divisions of 8.

I really think this guy is full of **** because why would three teams by expansion when they can likely buy at least two teams much cheaper.

RockStar and Hollywood42 like this.