Major expansion plan...

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by BanditsRock11, Feb 20, 2017.

1. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

The goalie issue is big. Maybe there you can draw some Yanks in to fill spots on O and D but solid box goalie is harder to find because there aren't that many out there and you really can't get a good field goalie to be a good box goalie (except Dillon Ward).

2. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

the last field goalie to find a spot in camp was Drexel's bruce bickford with the swarm. this is like a decade ago.

3. Wingsfan23

Wingsfan23 Member

4 teams in one offseason would be a disaster , maybe Philadelphia and an untapped market to start

4. Wingsfan23

Wingsfan23 Member

Especially with georgias uncertainty moving forward

5. Wingsfan23

Wingsfan23 Member

Or sell Georgia to Philadelphia that would be fine lolll

Tom Wersderfer likes this.
  6. Winger86

Winger86 Member

Not if you're a rare jersey collector. ;)

7. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

I think scotty rogers was in camp but as a runner, same brett queener.

8. wacklax

wacklax Member

3 teams at once.....Philly
    Edmonton
    Long Island
    Gets you to 12 teams.

Andrew GEA likes this.
  9. WingsNut423566

WingsNut423566 Active Member

12 teams is still too many. Thins out the talent too quickly.

10. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

I think they could do 4 teams, lots of MSL/WLA guys aren't in the NLL and they play with all the top players regularly. Not to mention the few ALL players that have played in the NLL. Then add NCAA and MLL guys. The talent pool might go down a bit but it wouldn't destroy the league.

In theory it could work.but we wouldn't see another expansion for at least 5 years.

11. GoodsOnSabres

GoodsOnSabres Member

The NLL has talked about starting the season a bit earlier next year. Wonder if they realize they'll need to do that to get more MLL guys to join when the league decides to expand

12. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Move two teams, add one. Then consider adding 2 a year or 2 later. This allows the the league to move to better markets prior to expansion. If they start growing interest, it would make it easier to draw more in expansion fees, and maybe get more talent from the MLL then.

13. Rottenrocker

Rottenrocker Member

That's too logical and reasonable for the NLL. They would never go for something like that.

swami24 likes this.
  14. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

dunno. There's already only enough A+ goalies for, what? Four teams to have one?

four new teams means four next level guys getting starts, and, they won't all be starting behind Rubisch, Corbeil, etc.

I think we get more blowouts, and blowouts are boring lacrosse....

15. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

No goalies

smurf666 likes this.
  16. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

it really is just about as simple as no goalies.

17. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

The NCAA boys should start playing in summer box leagues. That might change with the the summer box leagues specifically for box in Colorado. http://ccbll.usboxla.com

Wouldn't hurt to have MLL goalies play a year in the ALL or Boston league. At this point I think if the NLL does it with enough time and some cooperation with MLL it can be pulled off....

18. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Do all of the players that play in the MLL get paid? I didn't think everyone who played in the ALL or even the summer leagues were paid. I think you would only draw players who couldn't crack a MLL roster which may be easier if the MLL keeps expanding.

19. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

Last time I checked all the MLL guys are paid... Just not much. ALL / summer leagues don't pay (except for MSL/WLA).

The point I was trying to make was the NLL is the best league and if more players want to make the roster then they have to put in for the work.

20. fadlaxdad

fadlaxdad Member

I disagree with the comments about no goalies. There is enough talent spread throughout the BC and Ontario junior A leagues, not to mention MSL and WLA to find 1/2 a dozen pure box goalies that could be brought in to any NLL program to develop. The problem has been no options for many of the young goalies who cannot land a roster spot with so few teams in the league and the number of veterans who currently fill the #1 and #2 spots. These guys currently need to get on with life, jobs, school etc. A player can only really be expected to stay on a practice roster - one maybe two years max. Not getting paid to be on a practice roster is a major sacrifice...and when you have to weigh the benefit of waiting it out and someday maybe getting a shot on the roster - the payout for players with the meager salaries in the league is so nominal...that any really smart kid would have to say...I see no future for myself playing in the NLL. You can only play for the glory of the game for so long.