Major expansion plan...

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by BanditsRock11, Feb 20, 2017.

1. GoodsOnSabres

GoodsOnSabres Member

2. k-hawksfan33

k-hawksfan33 Active Member

I feel like these things are usually never as exciting as we expect them to be. I'm guessing it's either JGJ is becoming a coach or they're starting some sort of youth lax program in Denver. I don't have any insider info those are just random guesses.

3. WingsNut423566

WingsNut423566 Active Member

If Jenner is hyping the announcement. You just know it will be disappointing.

4. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

An individual team wouldn't make that announcement, the league would do it. I agree with the others......it's probably about Grant retiring or something to do with the Mammoth as a franchise.

5. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

From what I've heard it's not about grant jr

6. The Wack

The Wack Member

Not the Mammoth announcing it but from my understanding is about someone in the organization resign for one of the expansion teams

7. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

My guess is that they will roll out awards daily till Canada day /July 4 and then with in a week of this weekend we'll get the first new team announcements and they'll go monthly or bi weekly till the draft in September.

8. WingsNut423566

WingsNut423566 Active Member

http://www.coloradomammoth.com/news/front-office-departures/

The Colorado Mammoth announced on Friday that team president, general manager and governor Steve Govett accepted a role outside the company and has left the organization.

Govett, who was instrumental in bringing the team to Colorado in 2002, is one of the most successful business and player personnel executives in the history of the National Lacrosse League.

“For the past 15 years, fans have packed Pepsi Center and created an unparalleled in-arena experience,” said Govett. “I’m going to miss them, but there’s a bright future ahead for this team.”

Govett was the only person to hold his positions with the Mammoth since the team relocated to Denver. With 24 NLL seasons to his credit as a player, general manager, president and coach, Govett was integral to many of the League’s successes. He had twice been chairman of the Board of Governors, and contributed to multiple League committees. The former NLL Executive of the Year also served as vice president, new business development for Kroenke Sports & Entertainment since 2012.

Joining Govett on the new venture outside KSE is Josh Gross, who has been with the Mammoth organization in various roles for the past 13 seasons. Gross will vacate his position as vice president, business operations for the Mammoth and NDP (National Development Program) Lacrosse on June 30.

The team will announce its plans for the front office in the near future.

9. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

10. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Govett comes back home to run a new team?

11. nickp91

nickp91 New Member

So we all agree that Steve Govett is going to help build an NLL expansion team

12. Hollywood42

I wouldn't want him as my GM
    Colorado was a perennial playoff team but couldn't get back to the show

13. GoodsOnSabres

GoodsOnSabres Member

Better than a lot of other choices to run a new team though

14. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

he built the 2001 wings championship roster. i said so back then.
    and rather wallowing in landover waiting for the team to fold, he makes the move that underpins the franchises in calgary, langley, and sask by getting the team bought out by the kroenicke family, no longer has to worry about paying for the arena rent, coordinates team ops with staff from the nhl team, and became a go to team for many an nll player. steve is one of the few that identifies and then solves problems. big ego, yeah, but he does big things.

smurf666 likes this.
  15. Hollywood42

I'm kinda a what have you done for me now guy
    I look at results. And since winning the 06 cup they have been bounced in the first round 9/10 times!!

Including after he pulled the grant jr trade
    It wasn't until this year they made it past the first round and he wasn't even on the roster

Some can say oh they just can't beat Calgary
    This all falls on the GM on why cant they beat Calgary ever??? I think they became complacent because people were still buying tickets in droves and overlooked gaps in the roster
    Colorado hasn't been a major threat since 06 and everyone knows it

smurf666 likes this.
  16. swami24

San Diego looks like his spot. It will be interesting to say the least, to see how Philly compiles staff.

17. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

The San Diego Thugs would be a pretty sweet name for the expansion franchise.

18. swami24

I would guess a Navy themed name like Destroyers

19. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

If they had a navy themed team and Winnipeg had a team (air Force) it'd be a sweet match up!

20. Dave S-C

Dave S-C Active Member

San Diego, really? Do they have a suitable arena, because that's been a problem with hockey and basketball in the past, the current building is a dump - although probably okay sized for NLL. (12,000 to 13, 000 range)