Major expansion plan...

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by BanditsRock11, Feb 20, 2017.

1. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I thought that was announced a while back. But thanks for reminding me that I still need to buy tickets for that!

And yeah, Shawn Evans not on either All-Pro team is a ******* joke. Like him or not, he is clearly one of the top ten players in this league.

EDIT: Just looked at ticket availability for the Heritage Cup. Apparently LOTS of other people need to be reminded to buy tickets for it also :eek:

2. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Active Member

It looks like the Heritage Cup was announced in May. That means the all-pro team and Grant's retirement were probably the announcements. Snore. Add me to the list of people wondering why Evans was overlooked. Maybe he rubs someone in the league the wrong way? As skilled as he is, he can be a pain when things don't go his way.

Another question: if Evans were on this list, who should be left off to squeeze him in?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  3. AmericanRockFan

Definitely Kevin Crowley in my opinion. It'd be between him and Shayne Jackson, but I think Jackson might have the edge over Crowley very narrowly.

4. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

This really isn't news, jyat rumor searching, but just thought I would share that I had an exchange with a contact at the Wells Fargo Center who said that he doesn't know anything official, but has heard there has been a lot of talk about a bringing in a NLL team. I will take the rumor from inside the building as positive and leave it at that.

5. AmericanRockFan

I know the Wings fanbase was dwindling and whatnot before they ultimately moved, but I'm really curious to see where their fanbase will be when (ahem, *if*) they come back in 2019. 5 years is a long time, and other than the diehard core that is still there, I'm sure a lot of the casual fans have moved on and have other diverse interests now. I hope Philly 2.0 works, because I loved my trips there and they obviously have a passionate fanbase, but I just hope that their return to the NLL isn't too late.

6. WingsNut423566

WingsNut423566 Active Member

Probably a very disappointing sequel. I suspect the new owners will push the kids / family friendly angle. Also with the league expanding the schedule. Who know what kind of dates they will get hopefully for double headers before or after Flyers games.

7. swami24

The key would be having the building be the ownership, and invested in marketting. I think many hardcore fans would come back, and that gives you a base. The rest is up to marketing and exposure on local sports news, which never really happened consistantly. If comcast owns the team, they will provide news on the local sportsnet, and use their clout to get broadcast coverage. The challenge will be to fight the trend of less paople going to live events. The product on the floor will dictate success, or failure.

8. AmericanRockFan

Which begs the question, how much is still there and how much will still be there by the time an official announcement comes and the team plays its first game in 2019? Unfortunately, I don't know the right strategy for the new potential ownership since I'm not a fixture in the Philadelphia market, but I'm really going to watch this unfold with vested interest when the time comes. I really hope it works out for the Philly fans though, because they deserve a team and a quality one at that.

9. k-hawksfan33

k-hawksfan33 Well-Known Member

Market hard in University City (where Penn and Drexel are located). Spam old Wings season ticket holders with emails. Cross promote with other sports teams and any alcoholic beverage you can.

Those are my keys to success in the philadelphia market. Granted I only lived there for a year.

Andrew GEA likes this.
  10. WingsNut423566

I expect the ownership to do the opposite and target families and the grass roots.

11. swami24

I expect Comcast to go after everyone, not just one demographic. Special kids events and family sections where no booze is allowed. No matter what, the product on the floor has to be fast and action filled.

dougm likes this.
  12. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

it should be multi tiered. it should be family friendly enough to exclude the pole dancers but fan friendly enough for us to yell 'SUCKS' during opposing player introductions.

13. swami24

Moving them to the back bar was a better move, but still....odd.

14. GoodsOnSabres

GoodsOnSabres Member

A few months ago the commish said we should expect an announcement on expansion sometime this summer. Well, there's one more week until September. They'll look bad if they don't announce something soonish.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  15. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

I miss the hot tub.

16. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Summer ends on 9/21 so he still has time.

17. WingsNut423566

There was suppose to be a board of governors meeting this week in Toronto IIRC.

18. AmericanRockFan

I wouldn't be shocked if something gets announced around the time of the draft and 2018 schedule, which is allegedly getting released around the time of the draft.

19. swami24

Not the worst thing they did, but up there.

20. BIG E NY

BIG E NY Member

Now 15 months later, the Canucks and Comcast have come to fruition. I expect "Brooklyn"(through Tsai) to have a team in NY and a least a few more names from this list to be joining the league.