Mann Cup 2017

Discussion in 'Other Lacrosse' started by roadrunner, Sep 6, 2017.

1. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I'm hoping there's a game seven simply cause I'm too frugal to pony up $9.99 twice :oops:

2. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

I would have paid $50, plus other expenses to see them if I could drive......I don't mind paying $20 for a solid feed. High hopes - .......last time I watched was about four of the games in 2009 when Brampton was out there, and, even then they produced far better quality than many NLL cities do today.

3. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

As much as I hate the practice of stacking rosters, it pays off with great lacrosse in the Mann Cup. I almost wish the MSL and WLA would contract to 4 teams each to even out rosters, play a 9 game regular season (few elite players commit to an 18-20 game season anyway) and have the top two in each league play off in a provincial final before moving to the Mann Cup. If stacking's going to happen, why not take advantage and create elite lacrosse where every game matters? This isn't going to happen anytime soon. A man can dream.

Anyway, I called Peterborough in 7 but I'm wondering if it'll be 6. They've adjusted to the bounces at Queen's Park and New West can't quite level up. Desperation will certainly be a factor for New West. Should be one or two great games left. Worth the price of admission.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  4. RockStar

I watched that Laker D make the Chiefs attack look like that Monty Python sketch where the school children play rugby against the schoolmasters.......third period shutouts in at least two of the wins, and, pathetic third periods through pretty well the entire series.

If they can hold NW to 10 or less in game 6, I think it's over.

5. wacklax

wacklax Member

Off to game 6 hope for a good result for the bellies.

CrocodileLax likes this.
  6. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

One caveat: the Chiefs were without Cody Jamieson, Johnny Powless and Stephen Keogh and made minimal use of rookies like Austin Staats.

That said, Peterborough's D is tough and I agree that they'll be tough to beat if NW can't manage 10 or more. Hope NW wins, however, if only to see Shawn Evans cry.

7. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

NW got 10 goals but Peterborough got 14. The evil empire regains the Mann Cup. Not sure if they have the space for all the trophies but it's a nice problem to have. Hats off to the Lakers. NW tried to make it a fight but once the Lakers adjusted to the bounces at Queen's Park, the Salmonbellies couldn't solve the Laker's D or contain the O. Few teams could, admittedly, unless they were equally stacked.

8. AmericanRockFan

I didn't see any of the 6 games, but how extreme are these bounces in New Westminister's barn that they make this much of a difference in the first 2 games?

9. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

Wooden floor. Ontario teams don't get many chances to play on one so it takes a bit of time to get used to it.

10. The Wack

The Wack Member

I would make the argument its a lot harder for a team to get used to playing on carpet than the Wooden Floor. As the Wooden Floor is very similar to running on concrete. The bounces are very similar to what you get on carpet is any bounce shot kinda dulls it self and you cant get a high bounce shot on net.

With carpet I have found that is is almost like running on sand its way different than concrete.

11. RockStar

Carpet does make each step feel a bit more belaboured. I am stuck with AstroTurf in two rec leagues, and i found the best solution for me was to use the 'minimalist' running shoes. On that stuff, you do not need extra cushioning from the shoe lowers!

Turf does make it far easier to keep your feet though, especially for smaller players. I remember realizing that Josh Sanderson was much more effective working on turf.

There is a fundamental difference in the quality of the bounce. you need to spot your passes and shots differently to get them to work.

my pet peeve with this stuff is that it rips your knees open if you go for a spill. Couple times per year, i end up with a lower leg covered in ugly strawberries, and, because the turf is positively gross with other folks sweat and blood, the scrapes seem to take forever to heal. This is in a light contact old/fat league.......cannot imagine being a crease forward in a full contact Senior or pro league.

12. AmericanRockFan

I'd have to say that it probably depends on what you grew up playing on.