Media Coverage / Free NLL TV to Sportswriters?

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by Vin, Dec 13, 2017.

1. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Really sad to say this, but the Atlanta Journal-Constitution did not bother to have a story about the Georgia Swarm's opening loss to New England. Maybe because it was a road loss, but, still. An NLLTV subscription is cheap. They did have an article on 14 NOV 2017 titled "2 Chainz to perform at Georgia Swarm lacrosse game in Gwinnett"
    http://www.accessatlanta.com/news/local/chainz-perform-georgia-swarm-lacrosse-game-gwinnett/wc68aD0WzUh6A83WoMnY4H/
    I was hoping that the AJC would cover the team like they did rather well late last season.

Anyway, this got me to be thinking....

One of the reasons that newspapers don't cover teams is that it costs money to hire a reporter to write it and travel especially to away games. This is why we often see simple one paragraph summaries written by "Staff Reports" or "Special to the [my newspaper]".

Well, if it is these travel costs that is making coverage prohibitive, maybe what the NLL ought to do is comp NLLTV subscriptions to the sports writers of the newspapers in a team's market. The AJC could easily get a sports reporter on a slow night or an intern to watch the game and write a simple story even if it only goes in the on-line edition. The same could also be done for the TV sports reporters although they like video highlights so some kind of free distribution of the game highlights to the TV news sports departments might be in order. In short, it's like the NLL is doing all the work for the media outside of "writing copy" to appear in print or on the TV news. As I've said for years, TV sports news and newspapers are de facto marketing and critical to the long term success of a team.

2. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Can the NLL not find a journalism intern to watch games, and feed game stories to teams' local papers as "press releases".

It is technically possible that people will buy/pick up/connect to e-version of a paper to read that, and, if you don't have to spend S.F.A. to develop the content, you might be happy to find a few inches for it.

3. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Well, of course, press releases do go out to media entities. However, there is something of a conflict of interest if the copy is provided by newsworthy entity. (It's like lobbyists writing legislation so Congressmen don't have to bother.) That's not a problem if you furnish the raw materials to make it easy for the media person to write the story. Still, there's nothing wrong with a quick summary from NLL to reporter.

4. RockStar

In this day and age, I'd gladly take free content that has a tiny chance of getting a thousand or so fans to have a quick look at my paper.......It's all circulation, and, clicks.

5. Even here in Saskatoon, we get a tiny write up about road games. The problem is that newspapers are a dying breed and in Canada at least, the vast majority are bleeding money. Thus, there is no beat reporter that goes on the road with the teams. In fact, I believe the Saskatoon StarPhoenix has one fulltime sports reporter. Thus, even with the game being on Twitter, he had a Saskatoon Blades home game to cover. Some nights, there are a Blades home game, a Rush road game, a U of S Huskies basketball doubleheader and a U of S Huskies hockey game. Sadly, he is one man and can only be at one thing.

If the StarPhoenix purchased freelance stories, I'd happily do a game write up for the paper. The problem is I don't believe they do any freelance articles. The sports section of the StarPhoenix is largely wire stories or stories from other papers in their chain. In fact, I have gotten tired of how sparse the paper is, I don't even read it anymore. I subscribed to The Globe & Mail because it is a far better newspaper and as far as local news goes, I have news outlets online, plus TV news to satisfy what is going on. It is a chicken and an egg situation with newspapers, circulations are down, so they cut staff, but in cutting staff, content disappears, thus circulation falls. So you have the issue of how to win back readers and it is through content. The problem is to create content, they need to hire staff. If they were willing to use freelancers, they could fill the content portion a bit better. But I suspect they have found that freelancers are too expensive for their limited bottom line. About 5 years ago, there were plenty of freelancers that would have once a week columns on say local soccer or restaurant reviews or whatever, now those columns are gone and have been replaced with wire content.

I suspect this is the case with most major newspapers in the US too. So it doesn't surprise me that the AJC wouldn't have an article about the road games. What would be a better idea is if the NLL could convince the USA Today and The Globe and Mail to write a weekly column about the NLL, even just a brief write up of each of the games that week. The local papers can keep doing what they are doing, but if the league appeared in national papers, it might actually cause interest in the league to increase from places outside of league markets.

Basically, the league needs a champion in the national media. It is a shame that Jay Onrait and Dan O'Toole, who appeared at a Rush game last season, don't take the time to promote the NLL on their edition of Sportscentre. Instead of rehashing whatever Leaf scratched his butt that day, they could easily show some of the highlights or even just the scores. Once upon a time TSN used to show scores of all professional sports teams in Canada. They'd show minor league hockey, baseball, basketball etc. scores during the show. It gave the teams a slight bit of publicity, since I am sure there were some people who had no idea there was a minor league baseball team in town and saw the scores and started going to games. The NLL is in a different boat as they likely attract all the fans they are going to get in league markets. But publicity is always a good thing no matter how you come by it.

I guess with the way the Commissioner is talking, we should forget that this is season 32 of the NLL and pretend it is season 3. The way he likens it is to the early days of MLS, so seeing the way MLS grew, we should assume that he has hit the reset button and we are slowly starting out. So in 10 years, we will be at the stage where coverage is automatic and the NLL is consider bigger time than it is today.

6. RockStar

The commissioner should take notice that Hostrawser's scrap last night got a bigger cheer than any goal, or feat of skill.

Don't purge the sport of the rough stuff, embrace it. It is the only thing that makes box lacrosse truly unique.

7. GoodsOnSabres

GoodsOnSabres Member

I've always been a bit surprised the league doesn't provide NLL TV subscriptions to outlets. I do have one, but I obviously had to buy it on my own.

8. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Can it be a tax deduction for you at least? After all, you need it for work.

9. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

It's a HUGE mistake on the league's part not to do that.

And is The News being THAT cheap? Oh, wait, they have to send Jerry Sullivan to The Masters and the NBA finals, instead. :rolleyes:

10. GoodsOnSabres

GoodsOnSabres Member

I guess this is a good place to ask this, because I've wanted to for a bit. I feel like the people on here are the die hards, the ones most likely to read Bandits articles in The News.

Have people been happy with my work covering the team so far this year? Is there anything you'd like more of/want to change? Thanks!

11. RockStar

I generally like your write-ups.
    I would read them more often, but, Buffalo News is not a regular media outlet for me, so I never remember to look. Links here would get my attention and remind me.

12. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I like your writing and think it's professional but can you get more info out on the injuries and roster moves in a more timely manner? You are the best hope of breaking the black hole that is Bandits PR when it comes to that. I know you have the same battles to fight that Borelli and Bailey had with getting more articles into print but it would be great if that could also happen.