Media Coverage

Discussion in 'Toronto Rock Forum' started by AmericanRockFan, Jan 12, 2017.

1. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Is it just me, or do the Rock seem to be doing more media appearances hyping the home opener this year than past years? I'm surprised by how many radio ads I've been hearing on FAN 590, and how many interviews players seem to be doing on TSN radio and other Toronto tv stations thus far.

Judging by Ticketmaster, the lower bowl looks to be around 80% full or so for Saturday night, so hopefully they can get a crowd of at least 10,000 in the ACC this weekend. A solid crowd and a good win, giving the team a nice 2-0 start, would be a great way to build some momentum for the season.

2. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Here's hoping.

Should be more entertaining play this year.....Hoping they can have a winning home record and get a buzz going again.

Tougher than ever cause Laffs, Raptors and Marlies are all extremely watch-able now.

3. AmericanRockFan

In a way, if Leafs, Raptors, and Marlies tickets ever became hard to get, couldn't that help the Rock in a way? Much like how the Bandits benefited from Sabres tickets being hard to get in the mid to late 2000s?

4. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Active Member

Sounds plausible, assuming the thought process goes "I would like to see a Leafs game but can't get tickets. What other sports team can I go see instead?" I'm not sure that's true for the majority of people. It's more like "I would like to see a Leafs game but can't get tickets. Guess I'll watch it on TV."

You may remember the NHL lockout of 2004-2005 - the NLL saw no attendance spike when NHL hockey wasn't available to anyone.

5. AmericanRockFan

Personally, I do think people would be more likely to stay home and watch the others on tv if they're that interested, but nothing would shock me.

For what it's worth, Rock attendance did see a small spike in attendance in 2005 from 2004. Average attendance was up to 17,123 from 16,907 the previous season, and interestingly enough the Rock's lowest crowd of 2005 was 16,087, up from the lowest crowd of 2004 which was 15,107. Plus that 2005 title game was the most attended Rock game in history. But that was also at a time where there really wasn't anywhere for Rock support to go but down.

6. 9SQUIRE3

9SQUIRE3 Active Member

I can not tell you how much I miss those crowds. It is hard for me to remember the concept of 15k being a low attendance. I don;t think they have had a crowd close to that in 6+years.

sigh

I reallllllllllllllly hope management finally finds a way to get more butts in the seats. It is LONG overdue.

7. AmericanRockFan

By my tally, it looks like the last home game attendance with more than 15,000 reportedly in the ACC was the last home game of 2011 when they had 15,084. Since then, the largest crowd was the last home game of 2012 when they had 14,060. Since then, they've had only one crowd above 11,750, which was the last home game of the 2013 season when they had 13,073.

It's comparing apples to oranges (or free tickets to no-free tickets?), but the Rock under Watters' regime seem to have averaged 15,403 per regular season home game (1999 - 2009), and 10,348 under Dawick (2010 - 2016). Again, though, that's different eras and a matter of how many free tickets were given away, the state of the NLL, ticket prices, etc and whatnot, but just some food for thought.

8. 9SQUIRE3

9SQUIRE3 Active Member

I would be ok with free tickets being given away to get the crowd in the upper bowl filled out. Dump some tickets at UoftT.

Maybe hand out 2 for 1 vouchers after leafs games.

9. AmericanRockFan

Do the U of T, York, and Ryerson have lacrosse teams? If so, that's a demographic the Rock should be targeting if they're not already.

Since it's not my money, I'm okay with free tickets to an extent. But they'd have to find a way to distribute those without distributing too many to the point that you've really irked your loyal STH base and haven't discounted the value of your box office ticket too much.

10. 9SQUIRE3

9SQUIRE3 Active Member

UofT and York both have lacrosse teams. No idea if they are targeted by the rock. If it were me I would target the entire athletics population at those schools with ads and promos.
    Yes you are right you shoulnd't **** off the season ticket holders.

11. RockStar

Leafs have something like a 30 year consecutive sellout streak, so, they actually wont cut into Rock interest any more than they already do. For that matter, there were several deep-ish Leaf playoff runs during some of the peak Rock attendance years.

I think the fall off is the end of the watters, smith and kloepfer era chasing away all but the die hard, coupled with better raptors and better marlies teams

12. 9SQUIRE3

9SQUIRE3 Active Member

true, so tired or discussing it though. Just get people back! :)

13. AmericanRockFan

Now that you mention it, the Rock's attendance downward trend started around the time the Marlies came around. Maybe it's not a coincidence, and maybe the Marlies replaced the Rock as the "family affordable" option for sport entertainment in Toronto.

14. RockStar

end tickets for Marlies can be had for as little as $10 (plus the bend/spread charge from Ticketmaster.

killer deal for decent hockey.......and, despite the fact that it's the shittiest seat at the Ricoh, it compares well with an ACC seat that's maybe worth $160 or better...

15. AmericanRockFan

I'm a little surprised the crowd tonight was only 10,275. It looked like the lower bowl was packed on TV, so the upper deck must have been rather bare.

16. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

I'm wondering how many of those lower bowl seats were filled with people who actually paid the premium price or who paid for the upper bowl and moved into empty seats.

One of my previous thoughts about addressing attendance was cutting a deal with the Marlies. Stage a family day lacrosse/hockey double header (particularly for Marlies games held at the ACC). Or have deals like "buy one Rock/Marlies ticket, get one Marlies/Rock ticket free/50% off", or something like that. But such co-promotions would only be likely if MLSE owned both operations. The same strategy wouldn't work if the Rock moved to Ricoh. The Rock still draw a crowd sufficiently larger than Ricoh's capacity that such a move may actually decrease their revenue.

There is a new pro rugby team debuting in Toronto. Some of that crew may be interested in rough and tumble sports like lacrosse; perhaps a deal could be cut with them. "The Rock and the Wolf Pack: See one, see the other. Don't bring wimps. They'll faint." Something like that.

I think bad Rock teams, a less entertaining game due to shifts at the league level, fewer comps being distributed, higher ticket prices, high ACC concession/parking prices, non-stop renovations at Union Station that make it a pain to commute, bland or non-existent marketing, and a failure to attract culturally diverse audiences has done much more to hurt attendance. The game day presentation is also bland: a goofy mascot, crappy dancers, lame promos, etc. There's also the novelty factor. The Rock have been around for 19 years now; in the glory days, they were the new kid on the block. Going to a game mean seeing something a lot of folks hadn't seen before. Now there are fewer lacrosse virgins to draw upon and when new fans do show up, they leave a half full arena after getting gouged for beer and snacks having seen a game that didn't give them much to talk about. Something has to happen that compels new fans to rave: "You've gotta see this!"

I haven't heard "You've gotta see this!" and the Toronto Rock mentioned in the same breath for nearly a decade.

17. 9SQUIRE3

9SQUIRE3 Active Member

upper deck was pretty empty

In theory the family day sounds nice, but most families would have a hard time getting their kids to sit down for 5-6 hours. I don't see that happening. I also don't think the Rock have any partnership with the Marlies.
    They do have some kind of relationship with the Argos already. Heck some of the players were at the game. Hard part is there is no overlap between the sports for cross promotion.

*Note: my season tickets are the cheapest they have been ever and I have had the same lower bowl seats since day 1 at the ACC

18. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

i saw pics of the game and the upper level . i wouldnt be shocked if attendance hangs around what it is now they dont just shutter the upper level next season

19. AmericanRockFan

It would be wise for them to do that in my opinion. The Rock really should follow the Bandits' strategy on this and only sell the upper deck when it's needed. In regards to what that does for season ticket holders for next year if they do indeed close the upper deck, then they should do a deal where they give you your 2017 season ticket price (or a small moderate increase considering the upgrade in seats you're getting) and let you buy a seat in the last row of the lower bowl.

In other news, I see the Sun had a decent article previewing and then another one reviewing the game on Saturday night. The Star? A nice article previewing the game... but nothing the next day to tell you who won :oops:

20. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

it would prolly **** off whatever season ticket holders they have up there (rockstar) but when the wings did it they were selling less than 1300 seats up there
    nothing foodwise was even open up there