Millen Down....And Finneran comes to town...for a visit

Discussion in 'Toronto Rock Forum' started by mik, Dec 3, 2002.

1. mik

mik New Member

Kevin Finneran is scheduled to be in Toronto this week for an upcoming Rock practice to meet the team it looks likely he'll be playing for.

Finneran, who a few weeks ago told media that he was swaying between Toronto and New York for his next destination in the NLL, will be in Toronto sometime this week to meet with the Rock coaching staff and the rest of the team during a team practice that is scheduled for Tuesday night at Hamilton's Copps Coliseum.

The only thing that seems to be holding up the process is who will the Rock trade to Philly for Finneran's rights. With Philadelphia's youth push this year it is likely GM Marty O'Neill is interested in one of the Rock's young up-and-comers, but who it could be, no one knows. A draft pick is also a strong possibility as being part of the deal.

During last night's scrimmages at Copps Coliseum Rock forward Ken Millen went down hard during the team's 40 minute tilt against Albany and left the floor favoring his right leg. Millen missed time last year with a knee injury on his left side. It is unknown how severe the injury is but Millen was up on his feet the rest of the night working the bench for the Rock and seemed ok.

Seems you guys are losing players all over the place, now makes the signing of Finn a bigger deal, and trading Stroup far more imperative than letting him stay home for the season. Any word on why Merrill was a no show for the scrum against Albany?

2. Meathead25

Meathead25 New Member

Well, from what I heard, Finneran was in town this weekend to watch the scrimmages. It's too bad Kenny Millin damaged a wheel, but at least it wasn't a previously damaged one.

As for Merrill not being in the practice scrimmages...could be a host of things. At this point in time, none of us fans can really comment with any authority on the issue, and it could be a host of factors, like school, or the fact that the Rock don't feel he's ready. It could be that he wasn't in shape, or his skill level wasn't all it was thought to be, or he was sick (lot of that going around...especially on cruise ships!)...any number of reasons for why he wasn't on the floor, but we won't know until someone within the organization tells us...

3. mik

mik New Member

Sounds Good

Thanks Meathead, I appreciate the info on Merrill. Hopefully it's none of the above and he was just a healthy scratch so someone else could get some solid floor time for evaluation. Would hate to think he was on a Disney Cruise and caught the Seven Dwarves Desease…Sneezy, Coughy, Pukey, Poopey, Achey, Drowsy, and Cranky.

What ever it turns out to be, best of luck to him, was looking forward to seeing this kid play. Also hope that Millen makes it back before to long.

4. laxfan911

laxfan911 New Member

Pat Merrill

He is still finishing a semester of scholl at Mercyhurst and I believe they are trimestered which would've put them around exam time but it was also thanksgiving so I'm not sure if that's the reason.

5. Meathead25

Meathead25 New Member

I kind of figured school would factor into it.

I know that Rockhead is right in the heart of exams right now, so it would explain a lot...especially if he's at a trimestered school in the States (that is where Mercyhurst is, right? My knowledge of American schools, and Canadian schools, is severaely lacking... :eek: )

Obviously enough, the Rock have nothing on their website about the weekend scrimmages... :rolleyes: Typical. Oh well. I'm reasonably certain that they have too much on their hands right now...

6. Khawkfan

Khawkfan New Member

patty was there

HE may not have played in all the games, but he did play in Toronto's first game against Columbus, he looked good.

But mercyhurst is on a trimester, but im sure he's done, he only had one left...

7. RockFinn

RockFinn New Member

Top NLL Player Arrives in Toronto...but for how long?

Kevin Finneran has arrived, but for how long will be the next question. The 37 year-old Philadelphia native will be arriving this afternoon at the Toronto International. Although his stay will be short Kevin has high hopes for his visit.

“When I spoke with Les last week, we decided that it would be beneficial if I flew in for a day to speak face to face, attend a practice and meet and chat with some of the players. It is essential to get the players feelings and opinions. You have to remember that I have been on the other team bench for the last four years and there is no love loss between Philadelphia and Toronto” said Finneran.

Finneran, the Wings second all-time points leader (473), will attend the Rock’s practice at Copps Coliseum tonight (Tuesday December 3rd) at 8:00 p.m. Finneran has yet to confirm whether or not he will be working out with the team but has stated he will make himself available for interviews.

Note: Veteran Ken Millin injured his right knee during scrimmages at Copps Coliseum on December first. Team doctors have yet to make an official diagnosis but have commented that Millin attended physiotherapy yesterday, although there was some discomfort he looked to be in good shape. Two years ago Millin underwent re-constructive surgery for a torn ACL in his left knee

8. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

So with tampering rules, how was this Finneran attending a Rock practice and whatnot allowed? I assume someone from the Wings signed off on it and okayed it??

9. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Active Member

He must have been a free agent.

10. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I don't think so, because Finneran was traded for Drew Candy. So unless he was an RFA, which I kinda doubt he would've been that at his age.

11. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Active Member

In the very first article in this thread, it says:
    So he wasn't a free agent but clearly he had told Philly he wasn't going to play for them the next season. It's also possible, though less likely, that they told him they were going to trade him somewhere. I think it's only tampering if someone complains about it, and Philly obviously didn't.