Millwood's No-Hitter

Discussion in 'Off-topic Forum' started by Hooligan, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Hooligan

Hooligan Average Joe Millionaire

I know this isn't lacrosse, but I am still buzzing over that no hitter thrown by our very own Kevin Millwood yesterday (April 27) against the San Francisco Giants. I was just wondering if anyone else was at the Phillies game to see it, and what everyone's reactions were. That was the single best game I ever saw (despite sloppy offense), and the best pitched game since the Schilling/Maddux game in '96 that I saw where both pitchers took their scoreless games to the 9th, and the Phils won by a seeing-eye single. It is a very special thing to have witnessed a no hitter, and I may never see one again live and in person. Again, I just wanted to start up some gool old fashioned baseball talk......on the lacrosse board.:D

2. Fantasmic

Fantasmic New Member

Wasn't at the game PHiG, but I did see Terry Mullholland's no hitter in August 1990.

Congrats on seeing one. It is definitely thrilling.

Another cool thing was seeing one of the game balls from Mullholland's game in a display of balls from ALL the
    no-hitters/perfect games ever played, at the Baseball Hall of Fame.

I hope you brought a camera or got a signature on something that was dated.

3. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Well-Known Member

I saw a one-hitter by Dave Stieb once, and I thought that was great, until he threw another one in the last game of the same season, and then two of his first three starts in the next season were also one-hitters. Three one-hitters in four consecutive starts - amazing.

[Edit: Actually, thinking some more about it, it might have been the last two starts in one season and the second of the next. Either way three one-hitters in four consecutive starts.]

He finally did get his no-hitter a couple of years later in Cleveland - my wife was at that game (before we were dating).

PhairIsGod: Phillies fan, eh? Two words for you: Mitch Williams! And if you don't like those two words, how about two more: Joe Carter! :rotfl:

Blue Jays: World Series champs in '92 AND '93, and they've pretty much sucked ever since. :(

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2003
  4. terreri31

terreri31 New Member

I was at the game and most of the fans didnt sit down for the last 3 innings pitched. I had hopes of seeing the same accomplishment last year when padilla went into the 6th or 7th with no hits

5. Hooligan

So, you remember that, eh? Well, I can assure you that won't happen this year. The B-J's won't even make it past August with post season hopes!:D There are unofficial reports that the Yankees have locked up the AL East already.:rolleyes:

6. gmbjr

gmbjr Banned

I was there, I have a Sunday plan. I had never seen a no hitter in person, that's alot of ball games!

I am keeping all the ticket stubs this season, so my proof is always there. Plus my brother brought his new toy...a digital camcorder. He recorded all the Phanatic antics for his wife. He was so caught up in the game he forgot he even had it till later when he said "hey that would have been a good time to grab the camera, the last 3 outs..." what a turkey.

GREAT GAME!!

Sundays-sect 312 row 13 seat 19,20
    16 other games sec 334 row 13 seat 7,8

7. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Well-Known Member

No kidding about the Yanks - who knew a bunch of old guys could still pitch so well?

Here's a great article on the Yankees from theonion.com.

8. Eliuk's_Angel

Eliuk's_Angel New Member

I can't comment on the whole , but I did see the last two innings, and was sitting on the edge of my seat during the last pitch, screaming at the TV. What a scene it must have been....it's a shame no one was there to witness it (thank god!).:D

9. mightymouth

mightymouth New Member

You should have called me. I would have come over. What Matt does not know would not hurt him.;) Come on Phig you knowI am only kidding.:p

10. Hooligan

You wouldn't have a chance anyway!:rotfl:

11. mightymouth

mightymouth New Member

Alas tis true... But remember she likes my baby blues more than your shi**y browns:D Just kidden. So when we gonna party? Get the gang together and let me know. I still live down the hill ya know. Also you goin to the game when they give schmidt bobbleheads? Let me know.

12. Hooligan

I don't know about that Friday game for the Schmidts, but I know I'll be at the Sunday game for the Leftys! Same Phair place, same Phair time! After all, I am a Phair-weather fan! (yuk yuk yuk)

13. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

I should of been at this game but my mom made me go to a SAT prep course class instead fml

14. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Funny to see you follow up on a.Hooligan post. Your posting styles are similar.

15. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

Okay, ARF.

Hollywood42 and AmericanRockFan like this.
  16. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

H42 is a lot less insufferable in person.

17. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

So was Hooligan.... until I met H42, I thought they may have been the same person. Oh and to.the Phair references he made, his handle was originally Phair_is_god.

18. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I'm researching for a Blue Jays book that I'm writing, and it's crazy to think of how many one-hitters Stieb threw, especially how many in which he had a no-hitter with 2 outs in the 9th only to lose it.

Useless fact, the Toronto Maple Leafs of the International League (and the Eastern League before that, and other various leagues) threw 16 no-hitters in their history.