MLL 2017 season

Discussion in 'MLL Forum' started by Andrew GEA, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

Current standings July 13th

Outlaws7-2
    Machine7-3
    Hounds5-5
    Launch5-5
    Bayhawks4-5
    Lizards4-5
    Blaze4-6
    Rattlers4-6
    Cannons3-6

Who do you have for playoffs in August.

I pick- 1, Ohio
    2, Denver
    3, Florida
    4, Chesapeake

2. Rottenrocker

Rottenrocker Member

Semi-finals are set for Saturday, August 12th: (both will be broadcast on Twitter)

Rochester Rattlers at Denver Outlaws at 4:30 PM EST

Florida Launch at Ohio Machine at 7:30 PM EST

Watched a bit of the Ohio/Rochester game earlier and I have to say that I was entertained. I haven't watched a lot of field lacrosse outside of the 2014 FIL World Lacrosse Championships, which was great. Definitely interested in watching more field lacrosse/MLL now.

3. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

I started MALL last year. I prefer box but im liking field more and more every year. I think it'll be a Rochester vs Ohio championship. With Ohio willing it all!

4. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I went to the Machine/Rattlers game tonight to see Tom Schreiber and had a great time. Maybe it's because I was at the game to see a specific player instead of just going for the hell of it cause I was bored, but this was probably the most engaged I've been at an outdoor game. Maybe next year I'll get Rattlers season tickets, if the Rattlers are still around.

Andrew GEA likes this.
  5. blake1827

blake1827 Member

The Outlaws having to host a playoff game down the road from Mile High at DU's Peter Barton lacrosse stadium with a capacity of 2,000. This league has become a huge joke.

6. Rottenrocker

Rottenrocker Member

I'm definitely going to follow the MLL next season. There's room in my lax loving heart for box and field now.

7. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

That Rattlers game was really good ! Playoffs will be exciting !

Ya I think they should seek soccer owners ship weather it's MLS or a d2 league. NFL stadiums unless it's a practice facility like Frisco are too big. In my opinion playing in a University field is embarrassing.

8. AmericanRockFan

If this is a one-off, I'd sort of rather have the Outlaws play in a small venue where they're guaranteed a sellout rather than at a monstrous NFL stadium that's 90% empty.

I agree with GEA, that lacrosse teams should pair up with soccer teams and build some 10,000-20,000 seat multi-purpose stadiums. NFL stadiums, as well as Harvard Stadium, are just way too large for the MLL.

9. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

The Toronto Nationals started in the MLS stadium and lasted a season there, despite winning the championship that year. Mind you Toronto has zero field lacrosse support and American cities may be more open to the MLL.

The thing is, why would an MLS team want to own a lacrosse team? In stadiums with grass, the turf would have to be swapped out for field lacrosse (lest it get damaged for soccer games) which adds cost. Outside of the NCAA, field lacrosse draws anywhere from 15,000-30,000 fewer fans per game than the MLS. I can't imagine that TV/streaming/radio audiences are robust for the MLL either. Add in the substantial costs of building stadiums, goodbye revenue.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  10. Rottenrocker

Rottenrocker Member

At least NLL teams can play in hockey arenas. Professional field lacrosse would be a harder sell than box lacrosse in any sports market.

As much as I would love to see a Canadian MLL team, it's just not financially feasible. Which is a shame since there's a lot of great Canadian talent playing in the MLL.

11. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

damn shame about them being chased out of BMO....

i think it was papered, but, there were still a couple thou that were turning up.....slim chance they could have built a real long term following.

i think the big problem was that FC was changing out the surface for natural grass, and sharing that with field lacrosse is not ideal.......the lax crease is right at the top of the 18 yard box, and the turf gets mashed badly by the play all around the crease.

Lamport is minutes away and big enough, but it is just such a shirthole in comparison that you cant convince folks to drive past their local box game to pay $25+ for it.

12. AmericanRockFan

It's really too bad there's not a quality outdoor field north of Toronto in the Richmond Hill area that's MLL quality. Would the modern day rendition of Varsity Stadium suffice?

13. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

I've seen some CUFLA games at Varsity. It may pass as a venue but there's limited parking (not everyone would take advantage of the TTC stop nearby). I'm just not sure field lacrosse would ever catch on in Canada. Too dull, even with the shot clock, 2 point shot, etc. that come with the NLL. You'd have to change the game completely: no long poles, more cross checking, rebound nets (to prevent out of bound shots), longer power plays, etc.

14. GoodsOnSabres

GoodsOnSabres Member

I also went to the Rochester-Ohio game last weekend. It was my first MLL game despite being a decent fan of the league. I subscribe to LSN just to watch the MLL games every weekend, but I'd never gone out in person. I had a great time, but I'm still not sure a non-lacrosse nut would. I also was out to support a friend of mine on Rochester who went to school with me at Marquette.

I'd say for a casual fan it's less exciting than the NLL but more exciting than college.

15. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

Varsity is a nice field, but, has very limited seating now. Only along the East rail, I believe. Like our friend says, - the North downtown locale means limited parking, and none of it free.....I'd subway to St. George most times rather than cruising for nearby street parking. I think there are a few pay lots at various U of T buildings, but, I've never needed them, so, never looked for them.

York's football stadium might be about as good as it gets in Toronto outside of BMO......and, I'd love to see someone try. Massive lottery win will have both Senior A Lax at Mattamy, and MLL at York :D

16. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

17. Rottenrocker

Rottenrocker Member

Selling the MLL game to a non-lacrosse fan would be a challenge. It's just as niche as box lacrosse is when you come right down to it.

18. AmericanRockFan

This seems like a pretty fair assessment. For me, I try to watch college lacrosse but it's easier for me to get into the MLL because I'm familiar with a the handful of players that also play in the NLL.

19. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

Rematch for Denver vs Ohio this Saturday. Both teams have same core as last year but no Jr... Hard to say but im giving the edge to Ohio.

Last week Roch was beating Denver before the delay, so im thinking Denver has cardio issues... If Ohio stays on Denver they'll win. If Denver has time to recover they'll win