MLL cananda

Discussion in 'MLL Forum' started by Andrew GEA, May 16, 2017.

1. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

This is just a pipe dream for me but imagine if the Nationals worked out well and the Argonaut bought hem. Eventually leading to every CFL team wanted to own their own MLL team.

Currently their would be a Canadian/ north division and american /south division. 18 teams total. It would be pretty cool but I know the chances of that are 0%.

Just want to see who else thinks itd be neat.

2. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Of course I think it'd be neat, but is there enough available quality talent to field more MLL teams?

3. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

I think to double any league the answer would be no. But over like 10 years I think it'd be doable.

Although to support so many teams the league would have to fix their attendance issues.

4. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

I'd settle for Toronto.

It might have worked here had they been able to stay at BMO and continued to get some TV exposure.

They were not drawing big, but, they got 5k plus to opening night and were regularly in the mid 3k range.

Sadly, with the FC getting a natural grass surface, they would not share with a lacrosse co-tenant . Nationals were kicked down the road to a sh¡thole of a second rate stadium, and, they decided they could not break even with what they could draw there .

Personally, after the first year, I only went to one game the second season at Lamport.......the thickwits forced everyone to sit on the east sideline for evening games, which has you staring at the setting sun. Very sucky. Voted with my wallet and watched box lacrosse instead.

(The numbers in Hamilton looked twice as funny, but, I never attended a game there.....)

5. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

I feel like if they went to Hamilton a year later and shared Tim Hortons field things might have worked out !

6. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Referring to Lamport Stadium as "second rate" is giving that place a compliment. I think Fann Cup has taken place at nicer venues in the past.

7. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

half a mile from BMO on the map.

380 miles below in quality.

8. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

I think if Winnipeg got a team it would start a chain reaction across the prairies.

9. Rottenrocker

Rottenrocker Member

An MLL team in Vancouver would be great. They would more entertaining than the Whitecraps!

10. Vin

Vin Active Member

I f*cking hate soccer; it does nothing but give immigrants something to cheer for because they don't want to assimilate.

11. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

I'm not a fan of it either, I have yet to goto an fc Edmonton game, but to be a devil's advocate. Next year a new soccer league will start in Canada, the Canadian premier league.

Their aim is stadiums around 10k and will spread all over the country. Only teams to commit are CFL owned Hamilton and Winnipeg.

This might give good reasourses to market that want more money for these fields. A lot of the non cfl cities rumoured to join are building/ renovating stadiums.

If those owners want more money they might want other sports like CFL or feild lacrosse.

This premier league could help with that old outdoor NLL idea.

12. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

I'm not a fan of it either, I have yet to goto an fc Edmonton game, but to be a devil's advocate. Next year a new soccer league will start in Canada, the Canadian premier league.

Their aim is stadiums around 10k and will spread all over the country. Only teams to commit are CFL owned Hamilton and Winnipeg.

This might give good reasourses to market that want more money for these fields. A lot of the non cfl cities rumoured to join are building/ renovating stadiums.

If those owners want more money they might want other sports like CFL or feild lacrosse.

This premier league could help with that old outdoor NLL idea.

13. Vin

Vin Active Member

You'd think so right? I don't expect it to though because much of the soccer fan base is immigrants. Between them and most of Canada, they think lacrosse is a Buick.

dougm likes this.
  14. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

Is this a reason to hate soccer, or love it?

I neither love it nor hate it.....I just find it less thrilling than several other sports, and pay it very little attention unless the home team is deep in the playoffs.

15. I am not a soccer fan in the least. But interestingly enough the Canadian Premier League has a NLL connection. Lee Genier, former President of the Saskatchewan Rush, stepped down in February citing his concerns with his brother's health, he is now heading up a group (not the Riders) to bring a CPL soccer team to either Saskatoon or Regina. I don't see it working in Saskatchewan and I think a MLL team would work better. But since the MLL has a footprint that isn't so conducive for Western Canadian teams, I don't see it happening.

I for one would support a MLL team in Saskatchewan and since we have a brand new stadium in Regina that needs dates through the spring/summer to help pay for it, I don't see why the MLL couldn't work. With attendance not needing to be higher than about 5,000 to be viable (or so it seems), I am sure there is enough lacrosse fans in Southern Saskatchewan (plus a handful of Saskatoon area Rush fans) that would come out to games.

What I find funny about the Nationals experiment is that they couldn't fill the stands at Lamport. I mean the Toronto Wolfpack rugby league (different than Union which is what is played in Canada) team that plays in a league in England had 7,000 at Lamport last weekend, you would think the Nationals could have done better. I mean hell Toronto has a professional ultimate team, the Toronto Rush, that play at Varsity Stadium and have been around for 4 or 5 years now. I assume they must be turning some sort of profit to continue to operate.

16. RockyMaivia

RockyMaivia Member

THE ARDMORE AARDVARK THINKS THE WOLFPACK WORK BETTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ABLE TO CATER TO THE UK TRANSPLANTS WHO LIVE IN TORONTO AND THE SURROUNDING AREA, MUCH LIKE HOW TORONTO FC DRAWS WELL IN TORONTO TOO.

MEANWHILE...NO ONE REALLY CARES ABOUT THE OUTDOOR MAJOR LACROSSE LEAGUE, NOT EVEN NATIVE TORONTONIAN LAX LOVERS.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  17. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

a lacrosse fan might have to drive past 3 or 4 $10 / free parking box games to get downtown for higher priced lax entertainment.

18. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

as for the wolfpack, i think they papered the F out of it. League rugby is ok in terms of it moves, and it's rough, but, it is nowhere nearly as intriguing as rugby union.

i will check it out on a nice day in the playoffs maybe.

19. roadrunner

roadrunner Member

I'm going to assume you don't have young kids who play. I love my kids but when the wife says she is signing them up for soccer I cringe - especially Kindergarten soccer. My kids play Lacrosse and Hockey so soccer pales in comparison. Plus they are better off playing sports that require more skills. I would never watch a pro soccer game - way too boring.

20. RockyMaivia

RockyMaivia Member

THE ARDMORE AARDVARK SAYS DON'T FORGET TOO THAT THE WOLFPACK ARE BRAND SPANKING NEW TO SPORTS FANS IN THE 6IX, SO RIGHT NOW THERE IS ALSO THE NOVELTY FACTOR.

PLUS, THERE'S A NOVELTY FACTOR TO FANS IN ENGLAND TRAVELING TO CANADA TO WATCH THEIR FAVORITE TEAM PLAY ON THIS SIDE OF THE POND. FREQUENT FLYER MILES AND NOVELTY TO THE MAXIMUS!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017