MLL going to Dallas

Discussion in 'MLL Forum' started by Vin, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I just noticed that 3 MLL Dallas Rattlers trademarks were filed with USPTO on Friday 13 OCT 2017.

2. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Adios, Rochester I guess. I'm a little surprised the Rattlers 2.0 have survived this long to be honest.

3. toad455

toad455 Member

Relocate Rochester to Dallas and add a Houston expansion team? Split the league into 2 conferences:
    NORTH: Boston, Chesapeake, New York, Ohio, Denver
    SOUTH: Dallas, Houston, Florida, Atlanta, Charlotte

4. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

I don't get how the third lowest is relocating when these are the attendance records

Denver 9,212
    New York 5,171
    Boston 4,852
    Chesapeake 4,798
    Ohio 2,451
    Florida 2,298
    Rochester 2,191
    Atlanta 2,037
    Charlotte 1,586

They should figure they **** out for half the league. Are Rochester's rental few way more than Charlotte... Do Universities not charge a lot or something?

5. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure those Rochester numbers are all sorts of inflated....

6. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

Still better that Charlotte though ?

7. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I bet all the numbers are inflated. MLL average attendance continues to drop every year.

8. IHS

IHS Active Member

This is sad on so many levels. As a longtime Rattlers STH, you get to see and hear a lot behind the scenes. No question that the ownership question has dogged them for a while. Rob Clark gets the franchise to return rightfully thinking that he can piggyback it on the Rhinos that his dad owns (all part of the Steve Donner fallout). Trouble is dad doesn’t care for the rattlers and Rob doesn’t know the game of lacrosse well enough to be able to market them properly if at all. Eventually dad wants the rattlers gone, rob wants out, the league finds a new owner, the Rhinos don’t negotiate the stadium lease in good faith, and the rattlers become nomads for a few years going to SUNY Brockport and then to Aquinas, losing fans along the way.

Tim Soudan is head coach and gm for player personnel, and they have literally zero pr budget. They come back to Capelli Sports stadium this past year, and considering the instability and lack of PR I thought drew pretty well (I thought more than what was reported). Had a weeknight and a Sunday afternoon game thrown in for no good reason (the stadium was vacant the entire weekend), still outdrew 2 cities at least 3 times Rochester’s size, and within a few hundred of placing 5th overall. I’m serious when I say that I think one more year at Capelli would stabilize things. People were coming back, and new fans were created.

Problem is that the MLL looks at what have you done for me lately. They went to Atlanta after holding the championship there for 2 years and papered the house both times, and now are barely scratching 2000 a game now. They think the same b/c Dallas drew 7500 last year. Give Dallas an expansion team. The best field players in the world and the league continues to act like a glorified beer league. Rochester is a good lax town. I remember in 2007 the year before they won the title how good the attendance was. For the semi finals against Philly, they put close to 10k in the stands. Not saying they would average that, but the fan base is there...

9. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

Everything about the MLL is mismanaged... Hopefully their new commissioner is smart because gross Was a plague on the league.

10. k.m

k.m Member

It's official now, with both dallasrattlers.com and the still-active rochesterrattlers.com reporting the news.

http://dallasrattlers.com/

They changed the colors up a bit, emphasizing the silver, which I like. There's too much orange in the MLL. They're still going to be owned by New Balance, but the team president, Bill Goren, is CTO of AA Baseball's Frisco (TX) Roughriders. There was a rep from the Dallas Cowboys at the announcement. Forbes has a pretty good write-up on the relationship with the Cowboys:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mattrybaltowski/2017/11/16/mll-views-partnership-with-dallas-cowboys-as-league-model-with-further-expansion-plans-in-the-works/#1ccf098e25cf

A Bill Goren quote from the same article:

The Ford Center at the Star seats 12,000. If that 7,000 tickets goal had been realized last season, it would have flipped the sign of the entire league's attendance trend to positive. We'll see if the heft of the Cowboys' marketing machine can help that come to fruition. There have been markets in the past that saw attendance drop drastically for expansion teams compared to the attendance of specialty, exploratory events like the All-Star game in the same market. Also of note:

IIRC, 16 teams used to be the goal for 2020. Better late than never, I guess? Based on past rumors, I'm guessing Houston will be one of the expansion teams.

11. IHS

IHS Active Member

So talk about a stable league. 16 seasons - in addition to the Rattlers; LA, SF, Chicago, Bridgeport, Philly, Toronto - Hamilton, and NJ all gone. Had a weekend deal with ESPN - gone, had a weekend deal with CBS Sports Network - gone with exception of playoffs. Players are paid a pittance. And they're going to expand to 16 teams, good luck with that. They don't know how to market, and don't understand how to garner/keep sponsors. Not much more than a glorified beer league.

12. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

The MLL used to be good at all of that. The overall average attendance has dropped every year over the last 5-7. The indoor game has so much more to offer so I hope the NLL watches and learns from the mistakes of the MLL.

The irony of this move is that the Ford Center is an indoor facility. Which means the outdoor lacrosse league will be playing a few games indoors. o_O

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Andrew GEA likes this.
  13. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

I honestly believe that when the nll commish wanted an agreement with MLL in terms of season length for player access and the MLL rejected the offer, was the nail in the coffin for mll.

14. Tom Wersderfer

Tom Wersderfer Active Member

I'm surprised the MLL is still in business. I don't expect the league to last for more than a few more seasons.