mll players data breach

Discussion in 'MLL Forum' started by dougm, Aug 29, 2017.

1. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

mll players pool had their personal data, including social security numbers, exposed. players that tweet appear to be upset. to which i ask:

2. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Who tweeted that tweet you quoted?

3. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

that my tweet. twitter may not be the most representative sample of anything, but the players that do seem quite upset. and it is not just guys who played last summer but anybody who was in the players' pool. guys who have not played in years are effected as well. I hate to beat up on someone when they are down, but if I was the nll, I would be making phone calls to get those players.

4. GoodsOnSabres

GoodsOnSabres Member

The players are very very mad. It's just another blunder in a summer of blunders for the MLL. I follow both leagues closely now, and the MLL makes the NLL look like the NBA. I wouldn't be surprised to see serious legal action in this case and if I'm the NLL I definitely try to swoop in and see if I can grab some of these players.

dougm likes this.
  5. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

These players don't get paid enough to deal with this bs

I sense a heavy class action lawsuit coming

Bye MLL

6. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

They need to unionize

dougm likes this.
  7. AmericanRockFan

As someone who doesn't follow the MLL that closely, can you elaborate on this? I really just check in on scores and stats periodically, I don't follow other storylines and drama.

8. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

worst year for attendance, terrible media communications, streaming model not working, ... despite being some of the best field lacrosse I have seen. big number declines in boston and Denver, ny held up went well with a Thursday night game plan, Chesapeake still going down, and remaining ohio, charlotte, Rochester, florida, and Atlanta getting to 2,500 was their gold standard.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  9. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

I looked at the attendance on Pointstreak, that's troubling. Looks like average attendance has went down every season since 2011 (6417 a game) to 3844 this year. Gross must have seen the writing on the wall.

10. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

expansion push was no big help.

11. GoodsOnSabres

GoodsOnSabres Member

Dougm was right. The league has consistently had issues with broadcasts, with some going out and freezing (including during the playoffs). LSN is really a disaster, and even when their streams do work they are pretty low quality. In some places like Ohio it's tough to even read the numbers on the jerseys. My friends and I ran higher quality streams for our student media broadcasts this year.

This is in addition to continual issues with their press releases and social media, which often include typos (including misspelled player names). The league has tweeted out the wrong game time on multiple occasions, but none were more glaring then getting the time for the championship game wrong about three times. There's more too, but I honestly can't remember all the gripes I've had with the league this year. I love watching lacrosse and do it pretty much every weekend from December through August. I want the MLL to succeed, but it's just getting harder and harder to defend. The players give their all, but the people working for the league are flat out incompetent.

The stats are also rarely right, to put a cherry on top.

12. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

by the way, their attendance drop coincided with their move to up their schedule. field fans are college fans first so why compete with them. it made no sense at all. players lost $$$ on that one.

13. AmericanRockFan

It's absolutely astounding how the three major lacrosse leagues (NLL, MLL, and NCAA) can't really coordinate this stuff. Of course there will have to be some NLL/NCAA overlap, but for there to be an MLL/NCAA overlap (especially when the MLL is drafting kids from the NCAA) is just stupid.

14. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

ding, ding, ding...we have a winner.

15. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I wonder if the weather also had something to do with that attendance drop in moving games earlier. But I see that playoff attendance also wasn't good.

I don't follow the MLL that closely but seeing everything that is going on -- the continued attendance drop, the data breach, the search for a new commish -- it appears they have some big problems on their hands. 3 of the 4 newest teams averaged under 2,200k for attendance. I don't know their business model and maybe that's sustainable on some level but for being the top tier of a popular sport in America, it seems like it should be better.

16. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Oh, gee, I just saw this. I posted later in NLL News and Rumors. Sorry...

17. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

Since most mll teams play in University stadiums they should move the schedule to the fall and that way the students will go to games and they don't compete with the NCAA (in terms of lacrosse).

They could even use the host school as a farm system (ex: lizards develop Hofstra players)

18. AmericanRockFan

I'm sure there would be some sort of NCAA prohibiting this, but if there's a way around it then it could be useless for further development.

19. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

Why useless? I'd figured that the students could train with MLL and coaches could keep a close eye on guys they like.

20. AmericanRockFan

I meant to say "useful" :oops:

Andrew GEA likes this.