mll players data breach

Discussion in 'MLL Forum' started by dougm, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/proposalView?id=2568

NCAA bylaw 12.2

In sports other than men's ice hockey and skiing, to clarify that prior to initial full-time collegiate enrollment, an individual may try out with a professional athletics team and participate in practice sessions without competition conducted by a professional team, provided he or she does not receive more than actual and necessary expenses to participate.

It's deeper in the bylaw but there no issue with professional coaches working with NCAA teams and Vis versa (since there are already many in the MLL)

It sounds like it's a good idea as long as it does not interfer with the students schedule!

2. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I'm a tad surprised even that's allowed, considering the NCAA has some pretty strict and bizarre rules when it comes to what counts as a gift.

3. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

Me too , but if you have been watching LSN lately last year the blaze played scrimmage against Kennesaw U and last week Albany played team Israel and Iroquois. Next week the machine play the buckeyes.

I guess with lacrosse at least the NCAA is pretty open so the MLL should capitalize on it because summer schedule isn't working

4. AmericanRockFan

I'm not surprised they let the colleges play against pro teams since it's not uncommon for MLB teams to play NCAA teams during spring training.

I'm just really surprised that the NCAA lets their kids actually tryout for a pro team while they're enrolled at school and that doesn't hurt their NCAA eligibility. Knowing that, I'm a little surprised you don't see some NCAA kids attend NHL training camps, although that shouldn't be that surprising considering camp would be going on during the first few weeks of the college semester and they'd miss NCAA practices for the upcoming season.

5. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

Ya if they missed the beginning they'd probs not make the team or something.

I know here in Canada the oilers have previously used University of Alberta players for one off games because on injuries.

6. AmericanRockFan

The CIS has a different rule set. I'm not sure how long the former pros are eligible for (I think it's a case by case basis) but unlike the NCAA they actually let former pro players play collegiately.

7. They can attend NHL training camps. As I understand it the caveat is that the NHL team cannot pay for anything during their time at camp. So the player has to get himself to camp, pay for his own accommodations, food, any hockey equipment needed, medical treatments, Gatorade on the bench etc. No players bother since it is incredibly expensive for a student to do so and most NHL that draft NCAA bound players do it with the idea they are going to school for 4 years. I do know of a few players in the past that have been "encouraged" by their NHL teams to quit school and go play Major Junior instead. But I know the OHL and the University of Michigan had some battles about it (whether it was in a legal court or just the media) over the past few years.

I have never figured out why NHL players don't have to come out of school to be drafted though. Why my Kings could draft a current Michigan players, but my Magic or 49ers have to wait until they declare for the draft. I know a lot of times players are drafted in the NHL in that inbetween year between Junior A/USHL and the NCAA, but some get drafted without losing eligibility. Never figured that out.

As far as USports, it is a mess as far as pro and being eligible goes. I am a huge USports football and hockey fan (the two sports where most of the pros come out of). They way it works in football is that you have 7 years from high school graduation or age 25 to get your 5 years of eligibility in. The CFL draft year for USports products is following their 4th year (unless you come out of the CJFL and then you don't need to be drafted at all as long as you never played USports) and players losing a year of eligibility for each year of pro they play. However, you don't count as having played pro unless you dress in a regular season game or remain on the practice roster following August 15th. So what happens a lot is many of these players hang around on the practice roster until August 15th, "retire" thus their CFL team retaining their rights and return to USports for the football season. However, that applies to the CFL. I haven't read the rules exactly in a little while, but about 10 years ago, the then CIS ruled playing af2, a "summer job"no different than if he dug ditches for the City. He played all af2 season which ran Marchish until August and came back to school and played the next season.

Now hockey you have all sorts of little incidentals. First, there is no age limit on hockey, so a 50 year old could in theory play. Secondly, a player can play professional hockey until Christmas each year and not face any sort of penalty. In fact, many 1st years play in the ECHL, realize it was a dumb idea and come back to USports in January. If you play pro in January, you lose a year and obviously cannot come back during that season either. Now where it gets a bit tricky has nothing to do with USports actually. Since the vast majority of USports players are Major Junior grads, they acquire one year of schooling paid for by their league's scholarship program for each year of major junior they play. So in theory most of these players have 4-5 years of Major Junior experience (and one second of Major Junior makes them ineligible for the NCAA), they play USports on the CHL's dime. The caveat to this is that players have 18 months from the date they age out of Major Junior (so 21.5 years old) to activate this or they lose it all. I also believe they lose it all if they spend a full season as a professional.

Now how those EBuGs work in the NHL where they will seemingly sign someone at random like that guy in Chicago the other night is that they are signed to what is called Amateur Try Out Contracts. Meaning beyond the tradition of letting them keep the jersey they wear, they don't get a dime for being in the NHL that night. The NHL Shop took some flack on Twitter the other night as they were advertising buying customized Hawks stuff with that guy's name on it. But because he was on an ATO, he would not see one dime of money for the NHL making money off his notoriety. His name was quickly removed from the dropdown list under customizable Hawks gear. Since they are not paid to play it doesn't affect their USports eligibility.

As a football fan, what irks me the most is what the University of Calgary's women's hockey team did about 4 or 5 years ago. They played well within the rules, but it cried hypocrisy as the age limit instituted in football was done because "the CIS felt that 30 year old playing University sports was wrong" and intimated they should move on with their lives. Anyway, because until 2015-16 there was no professional women's hockey league in North America, playing in the CWHL or with Canada's Centralized program did not affect USports eligibility. Hayley Wickenheiser, widely known as the Wayne Gretzky of women's hockey, decided that she wanted to pursue a medical degree and entered the University of Calgary at age 37. Typically most women's players play their full eligibility before moving on to the CWHL etc., so I am not entirely sure what happened when Hayley was younger. But anyway, since she had played three seasons of pro hockey in Sweden, she was still eligible to play for the Dinos for two years. So after all the public outcry about football teams like Manitoba and Saskatchewan having 30 year old football players and how wrong this was, nobody said a word about her playing for the Dinos. It infuriates me to no end as a Saskatchewan Huskies fan that we were punished because we had a good relationship with the Hilltops as a feeder program and teams in Ontario did not, but that doesn't apply to hockey either apparently.

Also, playing other professional sports doesn't affect your eligibility in USports either. Chris Corbeil decided this year to return to get his MBA (or something like that) at Western Ontario. So in between his commitments with the Rush, he also played for the Mustangs' men's hockey team. He played 14 regular season games and 2 playoff games at Western this year and in looking at his Elite Prospects stats, it appears he still has another year of eligibility in USports.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=69503

8. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

That's corbeil stat is pretty sick. I wonder why he didn't go for westerns lax club lol

9. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Poor dude bails out the team, gets the win, and, doesn't even get one game's worth of pro-rated rookie salary?

Effing cheapskates!