More games next season?

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by WingsNut423566, Jun 13, 2017.

1. WingsNut423566

WingsNut423566 Active Member

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/local-sports/dan-barnes-next-wave-of-national-lacrosse-league-expansion-wont-include-edmonton

NLL teams currently play 18 regular season games, starting in January. However, the league will be moving to a 20- or 22-game regular season that starts in November or December.

“Not just because there will be more teams, but for sponsorship. We’ve had a great 12 months bringing on new sponsors,” said Sakiewicz. “They want to see a bigger activation window, bigger than the four or five months which has traditionally been the NLL season. They want to be activating in the fall, winter and spring. Sophisticated sponsors these days want to market their products 365 days a year.”

There are also scheduling concerns in some of the busier arenas, and the league wants to step away from having back-to-back games on successive nights.

“They’re just very difficult on the players, they’re difficult on the fans. And so we need to broaden our schedule window to make schedule planning easier and better for our players and our fans.”

2. RockyMaivia

RockyMaivia Member

The Ardmore Aardvark does like the logic in the idea, however he wonders how much of a burden games on back to back nights for fans really is as I doubt there's many fans who follow the team on the road AND when was the last time a team had home games on back to back nights in this crap sack of a league?

3. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

calling bullschitt....Rock have already priced and started delivering season ticket packs for next year.

sponsors? :D the only ads i saw were regional businesses, lacrosse equipment companies, and, stuff that is part of the nll.

i just dont see it, and feel its a frcking dumb idea to drive up operating costs by 11-22% (with the same frcking 9 teams?) and make it harder still to get good dates and harder to sell season packages.

4. RockyMaivia

RockyMaivia Member

The only package I'm able to sell and deliver quality customer service on is my own. Perhaps the NLL should take a lesson from me, the Ardmore Aardvark.

5. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I think the league-wide sponsors were lacking as evidenced by the commercials during the Twitter stream. They were all lax gear companies. I think teams are doing better at local levels but there is still ALOT of work to be done for big name league-wide sponsors that are not for lax gear heads.

Can the league just add more games to the schedule without going through the PLPA and/or making it part of the CBA?

I'm all for league expansion to 10 or maybe up to 12 teams but after that, it's suspect at best. But just not for next season when my team needs a big lefty forward and true defensive help and has the #1 overall pick plus the 1st 2 picks in round 2. :p

6. Winger86

Winger86 Member

Shut up, ARF.

If the Wings come back, I'm not even sure if I'd have time for a 22 game season.

7. RockyMaivia

RockyMaivia Member

The Ardmore Aardvark is unsure why you feel the need to bark at me...

8. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

I will raise a leg on your direction.

9. BanditsRock11

BanditsRock11 Active Member

I can't handle Rochester/Toronto 5-6 times in the regular season, if this were to happen, they have to have Western teams come east, maybe twice, and vise versa. I don't hate the idea of basically no back to backs, and with more teams this is ok. I'd prefer to start the season earlier, than go later. Less to do in November than there is in June.

10. k-hawksfan33

k-hawksfan33 Well-Known Member

More games=Lower attendance=Every game feels like less of an event=Minor league vibes=Shittier atmosphere.

Please don't do this Sackowitch

11. Rick716

Rick716 Active Member

My interpretation of the article is they want to move to 20-22 games when they expand, but not necessarily for next season. I think 18 is a fine number. Two more than the NFL and same as the CFL. I suppose they could do an even 20, but it just seems like it requires more financial commitment from fans, especially season ticket holders. I'd stay with 18.

Andrew GEA likes this.
  12. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

this......i dislike paying for an extra game that just contributes to the idiocy of an unbalanced divisional schedule.

i hate it a tiny bit more when it contributes to forcing an unprecedented run of home games......i think there was a run of five home games in six weeks, Feb to March....it got to the point where, even though the Roxk were doing sort of good, i did not even feel like going.

late November start is a good idea. All the other thoughts are dumb. Mercifully, i think the rumoured schedule extension is likely BS.....as mentioned, Toronto has already sold seasons at last year's price, so, poor Dawick is going to get creamed if he has to deliver more games at that level of revenue

13. chuckster

More travel to and from the West increases costs for the owners. And they won't go for that. I also don't want Rochester or Toronto 5-6 times per year. It's appealing to the owners but to the fans, not so much.

14. liveone

liveone New Member

It looks to me that that a 20 game season next year that begins in November is already a done deal.

On yesterday's Inside Lacrosse podcast, Sakiewicz flat out said that the next season will go from 4-5 months to 6-7 months next season. It was also reported in the Edmonton Journal yesterday that he said league was moving to a Nov/Dec start with 20-22 games. It wasn't clear if he meant next season or after the planned 2018/19 expansion.

Season Ticket prices for some teams are also going up pretty significantly for just a single year increase.

- Blackwolves are going up between 16 to 41% for STH's that didn't renew before June 1 and all new STHs.
    - Rock season ticket prices are going up July 1. How much hasn't been announced yet.
    - Rush 2018 ST prices have gone up almost exactly the cost of 1 additional game.
    - But most telling, the Swarm's 2018 ticket package actually says it's for 10 games ( see here and here)

The one exception is Calgary whose hame page says that 2018 ST packages for 9 games start at $248. Their lower tier ticket prices all went down while upper tiers went up. The flier for season tickets is almost exactly the same as last year with one difference, though. They removed the very first "STH Benefits" bullet that said "Reserved seat for nine homegames from January to May." Everything else but the prices is the same.

Other teams haven't announced their pricing or packages yet.

15. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

Takes balls of steel to raise any of the prices after a sub .500, lackluster, second last in the league finish.

16. RockyMaivia

RockyMaivia Member

Mucho me gusta the November/December start time, and mucho me gusta the extra 6 games (sort of). But mucho no me gusta the 6-7 month season. If this league wants to get to a point where the players make enough they don't need "real" jobs, then I'm okay with a 24 game (BALANCED) schedule from November to April with this league wrapping the championship up between Victoria and Memorial Day.

If not....the world of MMA and pro wrestling will get my entertainment dollars in the winter time #CancelNLLTV

17. chuckster

The Bandits don't announce them until the Fall. The price for my season ticket has gone up $1 per game for at least each of the last 3 years, if not more.

18. chuckster

So will the Bandits will have bigger balls of tougher steel when they do it this Fall?

19. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

This makes sense and I do think the sponsorships are increasing. Part of the reason I believe this is that the league is targeting owners of teams in other sports as owners in the NLL. With that, such owners can make enhanced deals with pre-existing sponsors of their existing non-NLL teams.

20. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Any idea when the schedule for 2018 will be released? Based on prior history, I'm going to guess either a few days after Labor Day or just before October 1.