MSL Final: Six Nations vs Peterborough

Discussion in 'OLA Forum' started by BigDave, Aug 17, 2017.

1. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Point of information: Do they actually have to play, or just take up a spot on a gamesheet?

I think I remember John Grant getting minimum games with Lakers one summer without even being in the same city for some of them........:)

2. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I guess this would be fair. Does the MSL have a set number of runners you can dress for each game? Cause if you're willing to put someone who's not even playing on the gamesheet and otherwise play shorthanded, then go right ahead.

3. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

I would expect players to be required to play if they're on the the game sheet. And they'd have to play in 80-90% of the regular season games to be playoff eligible. It doesn't necessarily prevent stacking but at least it forces players to take the field often and may discourage some hired guns from signing on, if they don't want to put in a season long effort.

4. AmericanRockFan

The thing that would be a little unfortunate here is if a player was injured and missed a good chunk of the season, then he'd be ineligible for the playoffs.

5. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

This is where it gets tricky. There could be exemptions if a player is injured. But knowing the MSL, players would acquire an undefined lower body injury in game 1 and be 100% healed by playoff time. So yes, some consideration would need to be given to injuries, while ensuring that teams don't try to exploit a loop hole.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  6. AmericanRockFan

Call me cheap, but I'm not paying $9 to watch Game 4 on PPV. I wish I'd known Game 1 was actually going to be streamed live, then I would've made it a priority to watch.

If I wasn't afraid of getting in legal trouble for broadcasting the game without expressed written consent, I'd take my laptop to the local bar and have the bartenders hook it to the tv's so I could enjoy their quality service while paying my hard earned $9 to watch the game online ;)

7. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

This is the issue with streaming a fringe sport. Without meaningful sponsorship, ticket sales or government subsidy to reduce costs, folks end up charging higher prices that no one wants to pay, meaning a continued lack of sponsorship, ticket sales or government subsidy. I get why you aren't paying the charge (I'm not either). I also understand why it costs what it does and I wish I felt more like watching a game, so I could support the sport. I'm not sure it'll be a good game though -- Six Nations just hasn't been up to snuff this year and paying $9 to see a crap game seems steep.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  8. AmericanRockFan

If it was game 7 and I had a friend or two who wanted to watch with me, it wouldn't be an issue, I'd pay the $9 in that case. But after paying $38 for the whole season of NLL action, paying $9 for one single game is a bit much. At most, I'd probably pay $2 at most to watch tonight's game.

9. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

Looks like we missed a decent game. Didn't watch it, but the Chiefs built a good lead that the Lakers nearly overcame. There will be a game 5.

10. AmericanRockFan

Get me to Game 7 and take my $9.

11. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

I hope this happens. The Chiefs did overcome a 3-0 deficit last year. But the Lakers blowing a 3-0 lead two years in a row? While the Chiefs are without Cody Jamieson? I'm willing to believe a game 6 is possible, but game 7 seems as likely as a sexy Trump haircut. Glad the players decide their own destiny. It's more fun than me grousing :)

12. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

There is something strange about this announcement -- http://ontariolacrosse.com/content/Major%20Series%20Lacrosse%20Ontario%20Finals%20Press%20Release.pdf

“On behalf of the Major Series Lacrosse Board of Directors, I would like to publicly address the manner in which the MSL league connects with its sponsors, fans and the media. Major Series Lacrosse is Ontario’s premier box lacrosse league, and in keeping with the ideals of growing the game, it is the goal of those in charge to increase the amount of exposure and direct connection that this league offers to those who are interested. Beginning in 2018, Major Series Lacrosse will announce its plan for a league-wide approach to linking those directly involved in the league with fans of the sport. In the meantime, I strongly encourage fans who have the opportunity to take in one of the Major Series Lacrosse Ontario Championship Series games being played between the firstplace Century 21 Peterborough Lakers and the second-place Six Nations Pro-Fit Chiefs. Should any of our fans not be able to attend these games in person, I am pleased to announce that the league has partnered with JVI Sports Network (www.jvisportsnetwork.com) to provide live streaming coverage of the MSL Ontario Championships for only $8 (USD), beginning with Game 4 on Tuesday, August 29th at the Iroquois Lacrosse Arena. The Lakers and the Chiefs are currently adding another chapter in their storied rivalry, and I am certain that this series will be nothing short of an incredible display of talent.” - Doug Luey, Interim Commissioner, Major Series Lacrosse

Were people complaining about having to pay for the games? Am I missing something?

13. The Wack

The Wack Member

No people were complaining that they were not broadcasting any games at all.

14. AmericanRockFan

I was :p But it's great to see that they're planning on (possibly) making streaming a thing in 2018.

15. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Lakers are through - poinstreak has 9-7 unofficial final for tonight, 4-1 series win.

16. AmericanRockFan

So will the Mann Cup be available to watch via streaming? Cause I'm not devoted enough to fly to western Canada.

17. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

But I hear New Westminster BC is nice this time of year. :D

18. wacklax

wacklax Member

It is very nice in the early fall. You can do a stream of a game for 200 or cheaper. I see no reason to have to charge 9 bucks a game. 5 bucks would be lots and you might get more than three people watching.

19. CrocodileLax

CrocodileLax Member

The WLA does what it can to support streaming, so I suspect a Mann Cup stream will be announced shortly.

20. AmericanRockFan

For a moment I thought you were telling me I could stream the game at home for $200 and I was about to tell you **** that ****.