my favorite wing has just played his last lacrosse game

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Wings Forum' started by dougm, Jul 22, 2018.

1. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

geoff snider has apparently called it a day after the FIL. if there was any player with his intensity, i have not seen it. geoff was too talented just to be a fighter. i think his contribution to canada in the FIL when it was played in ontario might be his greatest feat of inspiration and intimidation. the usa had no counter for him at all. the best word to describe american field lacrosse that day was shell shocked. geoff was among the early pioneers that built jamie munro's denver pioneers into a magnet school beyond the hotbeds of long island, upper new york and baltimore. but what he brought to philadelphia. he might had been born in alberta but he was born to play in philadelphia. how tough was geoff, remember he played with a busted windpipe. he made coaches scratch their heads trying neutralize him. any ground ball within 5 yards was fair game, and we won more of them than he lost. i hope that geoff gets to make an appearance in philly this winter and gets the attention that he deserves. it was never dull with geoff around.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  2. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

He was just a FOGO at the tournament splitting duties with Withers. He had some good battles with USA FOGOs.

3. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Truly special moves cant be stopped. You knew what Kareem would do in the post, sky hook. You knew what snider would do in the FO, scoop and go....you just couldn't stop him.

His attytood was perfect for philly and made some lean years a lot of fun.

dougm likes this.
  4. Loved Snider here in Calgary!! He has also created a lacrosse coaching company for both field and box, coaching and teaching, and now has multiple young players, both male and female getting full scholarships to university with their lacrosse prowess!!

dougm likes this.
  5. IAmDroot

IAmDroot Guest

Geoff definitely one of my all-time favorites, his style was a perfect match for Philadelphia.

6. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

loved the effort and intensity. He is missed from pro/senior box, will be missed from outdoor as well.

dougm likes this.
  7. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

Buffalo learned how to negate him

MILLwasbetter likes this.
  8. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

akin to the lou boudreau shift that the cleveland indians did to ted williams. the only way to counter geoff at the circle was to concede. props to daris on that one.

MILLwasbetter likes this.
  9. RockStar

i would call that controlling him rather than negating him.....it was still a ~30 ball advantage in a game

Still, Darris won that battle of wits more often than not - giving up 30 this way was arguably preferable to giving up ~25 balls under hot/unsettled conditions, and the Wings had nothing after their top 10 in those days so a good team could beat up on tired starters or inadequate depth guys to make up the difference.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  10. swami24

Certainly helped Iannucci score 70, but the problem was, he was all they had.

11. PhillySoldier

PhillySoldier Active Member

I was really hoping to come see that he might be coming back to Philly :(

dougm likes this.
  12. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

me too. he deserves a recognition night.

13. RockStar

Yeah. back in those days, if teams were limited to their top 10, Wings would have been a perennial contender.

Quality of the depth half of the roster separates a good team from an OK team, or a great team from a good team.

Wing management never splurged on import players for depth.....and....based on what I heard, they never had full speed mid-week practices, so, you wonder how TF were the local depth guys ever supposed to get up to NLL standard?

Would have been costly to fix this, but, if they flipped the number of "close-through-three-quarters" games lost in the 4th quarter, and, the number of times was the second half of season record as good or better than the first half, well, there'd still be Wings 2.0, and they'd still be drawing 14K plus.

14. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

no, 2008 team was very deep - guys like rooney van beek borell mitchell were quite good. the offense changed to let athan do it. also, we lost wray and nadelen to coaching gigs.

15. I would hope they would bring him back along with some of the other alumni for opening night. Geoff always brought energy to the big house.

dougm likes this.
  16. swami24

There will be a parade of ex players all year.