New Social Media Options Rendering ILINDOOR FORUM Redundant?

Discussion in 'ILIndoor Forum' started by fadlaxdad, Apr 25, 2017.

1. fadlaxdad

fadlaxdad Member

Picking up on a thread I commented on earlier...I am wondering what others on this forum think about the effect of Facebook and Twitter on the usefulness of maintaining this web forum? I have just joined: "NLL Lacrosse Discussion Page" on Facebook - but cursing down the posts - there is nothing near the quality of analysis that is sometimes displayed in these forums. However, I do find Facebook easy to navigate and use. I also think that the majority of new fans to the game - e.g. Saskatoon, have no idea about this forum and essentially rely on the team's own Facebook page for commentary. If we want to grow the game - should the knowledgeable commentators on this forum locate a new social media site that will be more accessible to new fans?

2. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

it looks like that is the case. which is kinda sad for those diehards that recall the zaniness of the nll boards before IL purchased Wingszone. Wingszone was a tremendous resource, heck we even had players, gm's and owners post there. we were the most social of any social media platform. Now its all dispersed such that nobody knows where anyone is. I have like 3 facebook lax groups, about the same twitter accounts, and a couple of blogs as well as a forum in laxpower. all of those sites combined don't create 10% buzz that the old boards did. a missed treasure if there ever was one.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  3. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

This message board was awesome when I first started lurking in 2006. I feel like 2011ish was when I started to feel this place was getting "dead" which has amazing become more and more dead every year.

If it wasn't for this message board, I can't even imagine how different my social life would be since I've probably met at least 15 people from this board in real life over the years and attend lacrosse games with them rather regularly.

4. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

If the comments will be anything like what I see on the Bandits Facebook page -- comments like "we lose because we don't have more Native players", or "the refs don't know what they're doing" when for the most part it's the fans who don't understand the rules, or "Buffalo What?!?!?" -- then count me out. This is the only place where we can have a somewhat knowledgeable discussion of the game with people who are there for the game and not just "for the party".

Rick716 likes this.
  5. AmericanRockFan

This as well. This really is one of the best message boards I've been a part of, for any sport/topic, when it pertains to good dialogue and discussion. Maybe it's even more so the case now because this place only really has diehard lacrosse fans at this point and less trolls than it had during its more populated days 10 years ago.

Periodically I'll scroll through the Rock's Facebook pages and there's comments about how Nick Rose is the worst goalie in the NLL (while I don't think he's the best goalie, he does lead the league in GAA so you can't say he's the worst) or just other really bad hot takes that just frustrate the hell out of me.

6. k-hawksfan33

k-hawksfan33 Well-Known Member

Some Knighthawks fans made a private Facebook group to talk about the games and there's some decent analysis in there. But certainly not as in depth as these message boards and never really any insider info like you get on here occasionally. As far as I can tell, all 9 official team FB pages are nothing but grade A bullshit. People demanding Vinc get traded and the Dawson Brothers retire. I try to respond to these comments as little as possible cause there's no point arguing with someone who doesn't even understand the basic concepts of box lax.

7. Winger86

Winger86 Member

This.

I can't figure out why people left this place for the mindless whining that goes on on facebook pages.

dougm likes this.
  8. AmericanRockFan

Well I think a lot of people quit when the message board got sold in the fall of 2007, although I think Plats was the only member who actually outright quit immediately.

After that I think it got to a point where a lot of the regulars knew each other in real life, and just started keeping in touch on Facebook instead of on here.

9. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

RA and wingsfaninMA dropped right away, and were huge losses.

10. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

There are a few smart guys on the Rock Roadies facebook group, but, there is less thought.....one to two sentence posts at best, and, insiders refrain from posting because their identity is less anonymous

I don't have the patience to digest other team fan groups, and, I'm too old and tired to troll them, so, I don't know what they're like. Mostly less civilized and dumber than the Rock group based on my quick scans, but, no in depth study to determine that.

This is still my favourite place to chat box lacrosse.

I miss WingsFaninMA more than any other. I miss the Mogul Musicals. I miss Mr0and2 and all of his cousins. I miss the smurfing idiocy caused by troublemakers which was then usually blamed on JC. I miss EvilEmpire.......that was some of the deepest and most cutting lacrosse journalism ever undertaken. I miss insiders airing dirty laundry (see Fee vs. Govett, ca. 2002 or so). I miss anonymous troll accounts being attributed to insiders, and, not being sure whether they were or not. I miss MooseJaw and other players lurking and occasionally posting.

Other than that, I'm happy there are still a dozen or so actives here who write coherently, usually have a solid point, and don't make the disagreements personal. I also like that we occasionally get a neat tidbit from an anonymous insider.

11. roadrunner

roadrunner Member

I can't stand the Facebag - for anything. I've never looked for anything NLL related there. I am a member of the Box Lacrosse Goalie page but that was primarily to source gear 5 years ago when you couldn't find anything in the US.

I like the banter and knowledge here. Not sure you can find anything like it on the web anywhere else.

12. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

fee v govett was awesome. i don't think i chuckled so hard. good times.

smurf666 likes this.
  13. Rick716

Rick716 Active Member

Yes, it's great to have a spot with intelligent fans. The stupidity of most sports fans is endless. This site is great because we have discussions without people being vulgar and posting nonsense like you see on FB and Yahoo comments. Even if it's just 50 of us here, it's OK with me. In some ways it's nice to have a small community where people get along and just discuss rationally.

smurf666 likes this.
  14. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

but from day-1, wingszone was solid. informative, entertaining, just a tad politically incorrect but rarely insulting. it was the best and for a number of years, it was the nll's sole source of promotion.

smurf666 likes this.
  15. wacklax

wacklax Active Member

I dont do facebook either. Let me know where everybody goes! This is a rather mature group of folks here.

16. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Mrs Swami has a Facebook account, but I haven't bothered to set up,an account.

17. fadlaxdad

fadlaxdad Member

I think what I am going to do is start dropping links to this forum in posts on some of the Facebook sites I come across to try to re-direct some of the traffic here. The general consensus seems to be that everyone is essentially staying put...and I don't blame you. I think it is important though for the new fans to know that there is a place that they can go to get decent insight. The anonymity that this forum allows will help some of the shy ones engage. The only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask! And I bet in Saskatoon...that there are probably about 15000 fans that may have questions about the game.

18. Rick716

Rick716 Active Member

Oh yes, for sure I remember.

19. Rick716

Rick716 Active Member

This is good idea. There's probably others out there who would be interested in participating as you mentioned. They likely don't know it exists. I'm not going anywhere...I love this board.

20. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

moosejaw, 99% of us knew he was, talked like he played. miss him.

smurf666 likes this.