New Social Media Options Rendering ILINDOOR FORUM Redundant?

Discussion in 'ILIndoor Forum' started by fadlaxdad, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Vin

Vin Active Member

What's redundant are the other forums.

As I likely commented elsewhere, this is the repository for the living history of the NLL. I've used it to research stuff from the past not documented (or not documented well) elsewhere. For instance, this website captures raw emotion when some event occurs. Also, this website shows our predictions and now we can reflect on how they turned out.

A final thing - at least I did it - I recorded here articles from various media. I didn't just provide a link because links and pages have the stability of building a home in summertime with a Jell-O foundation. Indeed, this board has changed URLs so many times that even internal links are blown, but, with intelligent searching, we can at least find them.

Facebook and other media just cannot compare to the raw data and history that are captured here.

smurf666 and dougm like this.
  2. Winger86

Winger86 Member

Oh, the f-bombs I've left here after a Wings loss....

dougm likes this.
  3. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I agree with Vin's take on this being a good spot for the history of the game and the emotion that comes with it. I've enjoyed periodically looking at old threads from before I joined to learn more about things from the early days of my fandom (for example, Kim Squire's abrupt departure in 2004 from the Rock).

4. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

If, and I hope it does, the forum continues, I will keep actively checking. It is my only link to 27 or whatever years of great fun and experiences at Wings games. That noted, down the road, if the Wings do not come back, who knows? Lil Swami is a Junior at UCONN, so if the Wings aren't back.in 19, I lose my best reason to make the long drive to CT. Screw it (that's for you Winger86), I probably will lurk here til the bitter end. I could see making a token appearance at a game somewhere just to keep the ball rolling. Hard to break this addiction.

dougm likes this.
  5. swami24

A side note, the Flyers MB I also haunt is still very active, but also may have fewer regular posters. Some long timers have stepped away and there not as many noobs.

dougm likes this.
  6. Vin

Vin Active Member

Yes and no. We should go to such places and put in our token comments but also promote this board as much as possible. Sadly, IL itself does a shitty job integrating this board with the rest of IL.

dougm likes this.
  7. New Fan

New Fan Member

This board is dead. Little or no responses, comments or opinions on most of the sites.

8. Vin

Vin Active Member

We have dwindled in population and that's what happens when franchises move deserting fans. Also, older fans age out of commenting as they get further on in their lives. The younger fans don't even know about this bulletin board which gets no-as-in-zero promotional effort from IL.

9. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

i think that the newer generation of social media users, the millenials, are driven more over finding the best latte than anything to do with sports. the gennerational shift will be a daunting challenge - just ask espn.

smurf666 likes this.
  10. Wingsfan23

Wingsfan23 Banned

This is still the best place to come for info and have knowledgeable discussion
    I'm a member of the Bandits Mafia FB page with boasts over 1,000 members, saddle up with your popcorn and soda if they lose. Every excuse from the refs to coaching and so forth.

11. k-hawksfan33

k-hawksfan33 Active Member

I'll take 5 well thought out posts over 100 "the refarees screw over hawks tonite. need more native americans otherwise we keep lozing. u suck nighthawks".

This place is still the best we got.

smurf666 likes this.
  12. Winger86

Winger86 Member

Hawks lost 7-6!!! Booooooo!!!! Trade Vinc! He's terrible!

13. AmericanRockFan

This. Even if the Rock forum is practically just me, RockStar, Smurf666, 9Squire3, and RockLax1 and a handful of others who drop in on the rare occasion, I'll take that over scrolling through the Rock's Facebook page where I have to read a horde of comments like "Nick Rose relies on his obesity to make saves" and other hot takes from people who I feel either compare the Rock way too much to the dynasty era teams or people who quite frankly go to games more to socialize than to watch the action on the floor.

smurf666 likes this.
  14. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

there's a few folks on the Toronto Rock Roadies fb group that know their arse from their elbow and give valuable comments.

I turned off notifications from the Rock since their posts are just the same stuff as their email blasts. The only unique/useful stuff was some training tips from Holmes and Hickey (Holmes being the strength and conditioning guy that runs the training centre at the TRAC)

15. AmericanRockFan

This too. When I creep and see comments from the Roadies I know personally, I take more stock in their comments (sometimes, depending on how hot the take is). Others.... I can't believe how little they actually seem to know considering they've seen far more years worth of Rock games in their lifetime than I have :confused:

16. Vin

Vin Active Member

I posted this in the Georgia Forum, but it really belongs here:

IL gives us no real love, nor does the league or any franchise. And, at this point, why should they? Sure, some league folks might come here simply because we've been around the block and can give some measured advice, but our green (or whatever color of money there is in Canada) is not different than the fans who are all going to social media so those organizations find a better investment in making the effort in social media.

Let's face it:
    15 years ago, if you wanted to look for a community of NLL / specific teams fans, you'd use Google and find a few sites and eventually come here. That's how I found it (and it was not through Google directly).
    Now, if you wanted to do the same task, you wouldn't even bother Googling and immediately do your search in Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and whatever other hot social media du jour there is.
    Think about that: No one discovers this place because no one is searching the web for something like this.

The only way we can grow this place again is to do our own word-of-mouth advertising and use our own social media accounts. I know I need to start stepping that up although, instinctively, it's a waste to me because I'd rather comment here among the cognoscenti than type the same thing which will not be read in many people's news feeds and will have the permanence of fly fart.

fadlaxdad likes this.
  17. swami24

You raise the real question right off. Frankly, why did IL buy this if they don't promote it? Promoting it on their site is cost free. Highlighting it makes the most sense. It could all be about traffic and the ads in site. They can sell the activity here as advertising potential. But then again, push and press it to build activity.

Another frankly, as a business not interested in the league, they could go nuclear at any point.