New Social Media Options Rendering ILINDOOR FORUM Redundant?

Discussion in 'ILIndoor Forum' started by fadlaxdad, Apr 25, 2017.

1. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

thread bumping bot?

2. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Looks like it to me.

3. JSap

JSap Administrator

I definitely think that the slow decline of the Wings hurt this forum first, and then I know that the sale impacted the old guard (most of whom I really miss having post here), but I do think in the last few years almost all of the forums/message boards on the Internet have taken a hit for social media. I used to use the Eagles message boards as my first news source, but I haven't gone there in years due to Twitter. As I was obviously responsible for the sale of these forums, I take responsibility for quite a bit of this (and it doesn't help that I really can't follow the league without a local team) but I really felt that getting the the exposure of a larger company would help (and to be honest, it was a time in my life that I had to step away and the money came in handy, but it wasn't enough for me to quit my job and retire to a private island or anything), but I should have approached RA to see how we could do it without losing that group. Anyway, I am hoping to be here much more often now that a Philly team is coming back, and I really hope we can keep something going!

RockStar likes this.
  4. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

You built it when things were good, but information was non existant, and when we got shut out from the league site. So you built it from nothing and sold high. Congrats, honestly. Couldn't happen to a better guy.

The people that bailed for censorship and sponsorship anticipation have been proven dead wrong. I still miss them though. You are.in no.way responsoble.for any decline. It is more a decline of the style of game the old guard liked, plus.... the old guard is old now.

In the hay day you had 18k team fans in buff toronto, and philly each. 10k in roch and Ny. What are the.numbers now? plus the social media changes. This board was the one and only source of any information back in the day. If you feel.any remorse, pour it into a glass tomorrow, toast to the best of days, and cheers!

JSap likes this.
  5. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I think message boards like this can still survive.
    Look at Reddit and Quora.
    Simply put, it needs to be marketed in a sense, and, for us, that means a lot of "word of mouth".
    About half the time, if I am posting something NLL-related on social media, I plug this board. I don't usually on Facebook because my FB friends who follow the NLL already know of this place. However, if I comment at, for example, a newspaper's article about the team, I might include something to the effect that "If you want to learn more and get involved in discussion with serious fans, visit forums.ilindoor.com."

Something else that hurts - and one reasons why I did not renew my subscription - is that IL no longer quoted us. They used to have quotes of the month from their message boards, but that stopped. Last I knew, it was tweets maybe. IL's overlords have done a marginally OK job of unifying their assets, but they really dropped the ball on synergy. Right now, as an asset, this board is the ugly step-child.

Still, it's like Cheers... Just coming here is like the equivalent of someone typing the shout "Norm!".

I quote the Cheers theme song lyrics....

Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got.
    Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot.

Wouldn't you like to get away?

Sometimes you want to go

Where everybody knows your name,
    and they're always glad you came.
    You wanna be where you can see,
    our troubles are all the same
    You wanna be where everybody knows
    Your name.

You wanna go where people know,
    people are all the same,
    You wanna go where everybody knows
    your name.

You wanna go where people know,
    people are all the same,
    You wanna go where everybody knows
    your name.

source: https://www.lyricsondemand.com/tvthemes/cheerslyrics.html

This place is definitely my "Cheers".

6. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

John, don't be hard on yourself. I cannot imagine a single - hold it, one - thing you did wrong.
    Keep in mind that, besides social media, people's lives just change.

Look at Chad who was a dominant poster. Well, he's almost 41 now living in Salem MA, married with 2 kids last I knew. Until his kids reach the age of appreciating NLL fandom and Chad has both time and opportunity to enjoy going to NLL games with his kids, he likely won't care much. Go back 15 years and he'd have simulations of entire seasons going to do Monte Carlo probabilistic analysis.

Me too with respect to shopping.
    I am not really an online shopper, but I don't go to malls or most stores anymore outside of the grocery store. After awhile, you've got the stuff you need and you don't need to buy more. For instance, I never have to buy an Rand-McNally Road Atlas again like I did every year or two 20 years ago. I've got the maps on my phone... It's that sort of thing.

So, Swami is right - this place was the Grand Central Terminal (with the old OG) for exchanging info about the league. Much of that data is now readily available elsewhere. Still, that data is transient, but less so here. Recall, I have advocated for 15 years that this board is the de facto repository of the first-hand account of the history of the NLL. For that, it is still very valuable.

I could go on and on, but I've got a meeting right now.

7. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I do admit that I miss the days of when I lurked this board in 2006 or so and this was the place to find info (i.e., this is where I heard Terry Sanderson was fired in 2006, that the Rock dealt Doyle in 2007, that Doyle was coming back, that the Rock were about to be sold, etc., etc., etc.) but I could never hold JSAP accountable for this place changing because of his decision to sell the message board. He had his reasons, and people who decided to leave had their reasons. People have lives, and life interests change. It is what it is.

8. swami24

I wonder what would happen if fans asked their teams for the chance to hand out flyers at one game, inviting them to join this discussion forum?

9. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

You'd like to think that Fan Club tables would do that. Of course, not every team has a fan club or one permitted to be in the arena during games.
    Still, that'd be a nice idea.
    Let's hope when the Wings return at least that this place will get livelier again.

Think Globally, Act Locally.

10. swami24

Love that last line.

11. Rick716

Rick716 Active Member

Even with a smaller group posting, this is the best location for intelligent NLL discussion. Facebook-type comments do not lend themselves to what we have here. If other people don't post here, that is their loss. It would be good if the NLL or teams somehow linked to us here, but either way this is the best location for what we do here.

12. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

I've been very anti-social media when it comes to lacrosse talk, but I gotta say the Wings Fan Club page has been excellent since the Wings returned last week.

It's almost doubled in the last week, and is now up to almost 500 members. There's useful stuff posted there almost every day, and it's open to all fans (but is still a closed group, you have to be invited). I've noticed both Meathead and Knabber posting in there this week. The invite-only formula seems to keep things level.

13. swami24

Well maybe this gets me to finally get on facebook... I have resisted just because I waste enough if my time on all kinds of others crap.