Next Moves?

Discussion in 'Buffalo Bandits Forum' started by Rick716, Aug 16, 2017.

1. I'm still looking for someone to explain Chugger's plan on defense. I'm not crying at all over the loss of Smith and Brock, and I don't necessarily need to see big name players on defense to feel satisfied that the position has been addressed.

But let's all remember that we just endured what was probably the worst season in Bandit history, featuring the worst defense in the league that sunk a more respectable 3rd ranked offense. Some of us traveled hours to watch Bandits home games, only to be treated to uninspired blowouts for many of them. Cosmo is definitely no longer elite, but he's good enough in my opinion. The defenders weren't.

So what does Chugger do during the offseason? He performs a substantial overhaul of the offense, adding Crawford, Byrne, Fraser, and Durston while shipping out guys like Benesch and Malcolm. This is not unreasonable, given the large gap in offensive production between Buffalo and top-dog, Georgia.

But the defense? All we get are a few guys whom the rest of the league cared very little about (Acton, Wagner, etc...) and a defender (Schott) whom teams passed over 19 times during the draft. Chugger hasn't drafted well since the Great Dhane selection many years ago, and virtually none of his acquisitions on defense have performed well so far. Martin, De Snoo, Weiss, etc... are all young, so maybe this year they will make big jumps in improvement. But I'm not holding my breath on this.

I seriously doubt the team is - in true Pegula style - intentionally tanking, given the fact that next year's draft is supposed to include multiple expansion franchises. So Chugger must have some sort of big plan for the defense, and my best guess is that it involves a change in scheme and communication despite no apparent change in coaching.

So my question to everyone is this: what do you think the scheme change is? And how do the new acquisitions and roster holdovers fit into this? Is it simply a matter of replacing older and slower with younger and faster? What do guy like Acton, Wagner, Schott, De Snoo, Martin, Weiss bring to the table exactly in terms of skill set?

I'm trying to get excited about the new season, but I'm having a hard time justifying 8-hour round-trips to watch Bandit games where we are out of it by the second quarter.

2. smurf666

smurf666 Guest

The way I have heard it told, Cordingley was the guy that created the first version of the pressure-D system that most modern NLL teams are running some variation of.

If anyone can cook up something new, it's this guy, maybe.

Dunno. I think the purge is just a case of getting rid of the expensive / aging / injury-prone vets that didn't win them **** last season.

3. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Active Member

It does take defensive players (generally) some time to reach their full potential. Someone like Priolo has been with the Bandits for what 8 years and has been elite for the last 2-3. Justin Salt is another good example. Let's see what these guys can do with more a more prominent role on defense.

Also does Steenhuis move back to defense? He primarily played out the backdoor for Peterborough this summer. It would certainly help alleviate that logjam on the right side offense.

4. BigDave

BigDave Active Member

Steenhuis, defense? :rolleyes:

5. Rick716

Rick716 Active Member

My hope is that it is easier to find serviceable defenders as opposed to top offensive talent. By that I mean that a group of average defenders in a good system can be successful whereas finding those true scorers is a tougher feat. I'm not sure if my hypothesis is accurate, but I'm thinking that the defense can't be any worse that it was last year (I hope). Perhaps the fresh faces they've brought in/drafted with be able to combine with what we have to improve things.

DeSnoo and Priolo seem like a good start. I think that another aspect that we sometimes forget is that they've used a lot of transition players for defense instead of true defenders under the idea that they are going to "push the ball" up the floor, when in reality they were often torched.

6. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

defence can be helped by good offence

if they score lots, there are fewer turnovers leading to chances

if they protect the ball and dont take stupid shots, there are fewer unsettled and costly turnovers.

with a good goalie, a good offence, and two strong crease D to eliminate trash collection + back door cuts for feeds, you can maybe get away with a cast of hardworking athletic journeymen.

7. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I don't know if there's much of a scheme change. I don't think Richie and Troy are going to start doing something radically different on D in a tactical sense. What they will have are some younger legs. And it will be key for a guy like Priolo to be the floor general to make sure the younger legs are in the right positions.

8. chuckster

Priolo was a pylon early in his career but it looks like he worked on his footwork and so he's more mobile than he used to be.

I could see Steenhuis moving back to transition. And he might be a good asset to Priolo getting guys in the right spots on the floor.

9. LordStanley1893

He's done it before at the NLL level and was serviceable. Granted he's a few years older, but Hasen is not a dummy and wouldn't put Mark back there if he was a liability.

10. LordStanley1893

Acton did sign, bodes well. I always thought he had the the talent, but it seemed like he had other commitments.

Buffalo Bandits have signed Reid Acton to a one year agreement.

11. fandit

fandit Active Member

Here's how the D breaks down right now............

Left Right
    DeSnoo Priolo
    Watt Weiss
    Bennett Brownell
    Martin Edwards
    Wagner Acton
    Brier England (if not up front)
    Pychel AKH ( if resigned)
    Tutton Fraser (maybe)
    Laird Moss
    Mitchell Rae
    Wallace Schott
    Tomkinson

12. LordStanley1893

Did Watt re-sign? I think he is an unrestricted free agent.

13. chuckster

He was on a 1-year agreement last year and I don't see anything on the NLL transactions page that he re-signed for this year.

He'll be 34 in January so I would guess given how the Bandits are going young that he won't be in their plans.

14. LordStanley1893

Yeah, I think he's out too.

15. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

After watching a few Laker playoff games this summer, I say Steenhuis could be very effective playing mostly D.

He's a mean S.O.B. and he's amazingly strong for a little guy. It was sort of fun watching him cut Benesch and the other Chiefs lefties in half every available opportunity.

In addition to being a competent righty D, he is still something of a transition scoring threat, and, he gives you in-game depth at righty attack, because he can stay out and contribute.

Would not be surprised to see him playing D/T at least some of the games this winter.

16. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

He a solid defender use to one on one shut down John Grant Jr

17. LordStanley1893

Byrne, Edwards & Jones are signed. That leaves Hill as the one notable piece that is unsigned. I haven't heard any rumors on his status. Rumor is Watt is retiring but nothing formal has been announced by the team or league.

18. chuckster

It boggles my mind why they would sign the #1 overall draft pick to only a 1-year deal. And Dhane Smith only got a 2 year deal. For an ownership group that just signed Eichel to an 8 year deal, it amazes me they don't lock up guys like Byrne or Smith for longer deals.

19. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Active Member

Remember the players have a say too. Maybe the team offered longer deals but neither wanted to sign them.

20. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I feel like a lot of people forget this aspect of contracts, especially when it comes to star players who really have a lot of pull at the bargaining table.

Having said that though, when was the last time a 1st overall pick in the NLL signed for only 1-year? I know he's not a UFA after 2018, but it's still a tad surprising, especially when you factor in the data leak that just happened in the MLL....