NLL Awards Nominations This Year Are Whack

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by Gravedigger, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Gravedigger

Gravedigger Member

Seriously who voted for some of these players? Among the highlights of this year's mind boggling awards nominations that deserve a facepalm:

Defensive Player of the Year: Justin Martin, Kevin Brownell, Curtis Manning, John Lafontaine, Bradley Kri, Brodie Merrill, zero players from the Saskatchewan Rush
    Goaltender of the Year: Alex Buque, Nick Rose
    Rookie of the Year: Eric Fannell, Dan Craig, Drew Belgrave
    MVP: Dane Dobbie, all 6 players nominated from the non-playoff bound Toronto Rock
    Coach/GM of the Year: Anyone involved with the Vancouver Stealth franchise

It seems like the voters just voted for a bunch of players on their favourite teams like a fan would this year, especially in the case of the Toronto Rock. I mean Drew Belgarve rookie of the year? Are you kidding me? Then we have a bunch of players who would legitimately have trouble making the Saskatchewan Rush practice squad being nominated for defensive player of the year.

2. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

For those who haven't seen for themselves:
    http://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/nll-announces-season-awards-nominations/52626
    I see what you mean. Some of these sure are whack, and to be honest this reads more like initial list you'd make up before you settle on 3-5 actual finalists. I love Challen Rogers and he's a valuable player on the Rock, but nominated for league MVP? This league has tickled my funny bone.

So, for the Goalie of the Year nominations we've just settled on that the Rush and the Stealth goalies aren't as good as the other 7 teams goalies? o_O

3. UncleBenny

UncleBenny Member

7/9 starting goaltenders got "nominated" and 9/9 head coaches got "nominated". The NLL couldn't figure out a way to cut it down to something like 4 or 5 real nominees per category?

4. liveone

liveone Member

I can see why a goalie from Vancouver didn't get nominated. None of the three played over 700 minutes or had a GAA under 13.5, but how the hell do you nominate EVERY OTHER STARTER in the league and leave out Kirk. He wasn't the best this year, but he's far from the worst on that list.

UncleBenny likes this.
  5. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

They need to reboot that list, and blame computer error.

dougm likes this.
  6. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Well-Known Member

Each team sends the league a list of its own nominees for each award. I'm pretty sure they've simply published that list. Teddy Jenner is reporting that the Rush missed the deadline with most of their nominees. I thought this was insane as well but if this is just the complete list, then nobody's voted on anything and it makes much more sense. So it's not people voting badly, it's just a meaningless list, especially when you see the nominees for coach and GM of the year include ALL the head coaches and GMs.

7. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

deadline?? first real bush move of the nick the commish era imho.

8. Gravedigger

Gravedigger Member

So basically if they'd missed the deadline for the MVP, you'd have Joe Resetarits or someone instead of Matthews as MVP? Just why? You should be allowed to just vote for the best players. The fact that there are 6 Toronto Rock players nominated for the MVP award is ridiculous.

RockStar likes this.