NLL Farm system

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by AFedyk, Nov 29, 2018.

1. AFedyk

AFedyk Guest

2. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

Not a bad idea. Can't see much becoming of it, though.

It's not like they have enough teams to pair up with every NLL team. You might see a player or two plucked off a roster.

3. BIG E NY

BIG E NY Member

Smart and logical move. Now go quickly develop some goalies.

4. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

They already had a farm team within the nll
    Let’s hope the Wings don’t get bitched out this time around

RockStar likes this.
  5. WingsNut423566

WingsNut423566 Active Member

Goalie development takes years.

dougm likes this.
  6. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

They don't but I don't see why you couldn't have guys from different NLL teams playing on the same ALL team.

To develop, goalies need to play so if they can get experience in the ALL maybe they move to the NLL a little sooner.

7. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

The ALL doesn't really create any players for the NLL, it just keeps Ontario-based prospects in game shape and more ready for NLL call up.

What needs to happen to have any chance of properly staffing the expanded NLL -

NLL needs to take some of the expansion dollars, and, use it as seed money to operate one or two regional ~4 to 6 team club leagues - maybe 1. Atlantic region Baltimore to Boston corridor and 2. Western NY & Midwest.

Years down the road, the best teams in this circuit might be good enough to send to a tournament with the top ALL team and even have a national minor league championship.

8. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

It's about time they worked out a legit working agreement. I didn't see it mentioned in the article, but I'd hope this will allow teams to send players on the practice squad to play in the ALL to stay in game shape. I'm guessing it goes without saying that the Rock will be affiliated with the Monarchs, right?

9. Ziel37

Ziel37 New Member

I wonder if in the future they would consider putting a second "farm league" in BC. Then the western based practice squad players could play there and the eastern based players would play in the ALL.

RockStar likes this.
  10. RockStar

The best of BC league would be good enough to run with the best of Ontario right off the bat.....and then there are twice as many game-ready NLL role players, and a good number situated more conveniently for West teams.

11. BlackWolves99

BlackWolves99 Member

Overall I like the idea of using ALL as a potential minor league. And it makes sense and could work similar to how the NHL utilizes the AHL and the NBA utilizes the D(G)-league.
    At one point the AHL used to share an affiliation and that could take place here potentially. Nice to see something being put in place to not lose some of your drafted players and to allow them to develop for a little.

12. RockStar

I don't know that you need to have affiliation agreements between specific teams. Maybe you just let the ALL run itself, selecting the best they can between two pools of players - "NLL Practice Squad", and, "Unaffiliated FA"

13. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

I heard a lot of good coming from the Boston Box Lacrosse League. Josh Hawkins played in it when he peaked a few years ago.

I wouldn't be surprised if that league was affiliated with the NLL in a few years.

14. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

......the what?

15. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

16. RockStar

likely more athletic than Sr B, but, Id bet an OLA or Can Am contender would thump their best most nights in box play.....coaching and system play wouldn't be anywhere nearly as mature.....nor the locally available goaltending