NLL investigating Rock for tampering once again

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by mtbf, May 13, 2006.

1. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

Here is what I have found out. The Wings have filed a tampering charge, Clark was contacted early in the season about retiring and replacing Terry. The Wings were 4-0 at the time and Clark wanted one last chance to win the championship as a player and turned down the offer. I presume the Wings did not know this at the time but that is tampering.

The Wings are currently claiming that Clark was still under contract at the time of the Rock naming him head coach. Since Clark retired and was name head coach on the same day. It is safe to assume the Rock contacted him while under contract with the Wings a big no no for which the Rock have already been caught doing in the past (Terry Sanderson from Buffalo).

If this is found to be the case the Rock will likely have to give up draft picks and cash to the Wings. The Rock are strongly contesting the wings charge claiming Clark retired before any talk of him becoming the Toronto coach.

It is important to remember players do not become UFA after their teams last game. All NLL contracts end on the same date.

Now this part is speculation but I would think the league might fine or suspend Waters seeing this would be his second violation of the rule in just three years.

2. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

:rotfl:
    Those sneaky bastards! Well, we'll see what comes of this.

Couple points to ponder:

-If Clark's contractual obligations to the Wings were finished (and they were) and he announces his retirement, is he not free? Does it actually matter when the contracts expire if he states that he's done as a player?

-I'm not sure that conversations asking about next year's plans, and suggesting an option for next year's plans can actually be considered tampering......after all, t'was well known that he was to be UFA at the end of this contract year.

(BTW - do you have a copy of the league's constitution document or its bylaws? If so, I'd love to see a copy.....if I run into you later today, lets talk).

3. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

no but I would pay for a copy if anyone does

4. mightymouth

mightymouth New Member

I thought they changed bylaws and rules at random to fit any given situation. :rolleyes:

5. Kevin

Kevin New Member

OK, so let me look at it from another POV.
    With Clark retiring the same day as he accepts the head coach job, is the implication that the Rock exhausted all other possible coaches, and Clark just happened to have an interview that same day? I am not sure if prospective interviews even have to be officially scheduled through the league, but would be interested in seeing if the Rock had any other official interviews for the job. If they only interviewed one guy-and again, I don't know if this is the case-then something might very well be fishy.
    I can see the Wings having a valid case to cry foul, especially since Clark goes right to coaching in the very same division. He has an acute appreciation of how a division team is run. I certainly don't know, and I am sure someone else here does know if there's ever been a case where a guy "retires" from one team, then the very same day is announced the coach of a division rival. To me, that is a clear indicator that there were some talks actively going on before a contract expired.
    And even if the Wings are right, what do they stand to get? Draft picks, cash, what?

6. mightymouth

mightymouth New Member

See I couldn`t care less. Let TO have him if they want. But that is just my opinion.

7. MILLwasbetter

MILLwasbetter Active Member

are they dumb up north? even if they knew he was going to be the new coach and he agreed to terms and everything. why didnt they just wait a week or two to announce him officaly as the new coach??? its a loop hole thats not hard to find.

youd think theyd a learned the 1st time.

geez o man!! first they pull off those dirty captains practices and now this!! :rotfl: :rotfl:

8. goddessoflax

goddessoflax Active Member

I am sure the leaguer will do a thorough investigation of the Wings allegations and if it is found that the Rock "tampered" then they will be compensated accordingly.

What I am wondering now is if someone can provide the league's definition of tampering for me.

9. Plats

Plats New Member

Simple, this is all BW's call and choice. He's sending out his season tix renewals now and he probably wanted that new coach buzz so he would not lose too many subscribers after a lacklustre season.

10. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Well-Known Member

A fine I can see, but a suspension? Suspension of what? What is it he'd be prohibited from doing?

11. thrillis

thrillis New Member

bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

watters is a f'in moron

:rolleyes:

12. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

Buffalo got a number one draft pick and cash. After some trades the draft pick led to delby powless

In most leagues from having anything to do with day to day operations of the team for a period of time. The Rock were given a very strong warning last time this this type of thing can not go on that it hurts the league. So I could see a suspension of six months or so (maybe even in the off season) being issued.

But since no finding of guilt has been made yet it is all just speculation

13. toros_00

toros_00 Moderator

Terry leaving Buffalo was great.

We got a pretty penny plus a first rounder.

then later beat him in the smeis.

But enough about those old days,

i think its silly for the rock to be tamperign again, like, theres no reason they couldnt wait for Clarks contract to expire.

oh well.

14. newlaxfan2

newlaxfan2 New Member

I agree. I have to think though that there's more to this than what meets the eye, but I can't figure out what that would be!

15. goddessoflax

goddessoflax Active Member

And...guilty until proven innocent again? This is an allegation at this point and nothing is proven.

16. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

well it is not like they have not done this in the past
    and it is naive to think clark retired then minutes latter BW states wow glen retired here are the keys to the Rock. Coaches are inteviewed before getting hired.

Until Glens contract was expired it was the sole right of the wings to talk to him about extending and not becoming an UFA. By having any conversation with Glen about coaching or playing for the Rock the Rock were tampering.

It would seem to come down to does the NLL want to enforce its own rule. I am open to anyone's idea's about how this could have happened short of the Wings giving permession for the Rock to talk with Glen and since they filled the complaint I think the chances of that are slim

17. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

I'm not positive it exists either, and agree that they probably just make most stuff up as they go.

If there is a constitution document, I hope it's more well written than the rulebook!

Is that really true? The situation with stealing Sanderson from the Bandits was probably indefensible as tampering (poached an employee at the 40% mark of midseason!), but this one may have just been a phone call to ask about next year's plans.....the league better have some strong language about tampering if they want to allow a charge on this basis.

One other thing - When exactly did Mr. Clark file his retirement papers with the team and league? We the rabble didn't hear about it until this week, but it might have been much earlier. If so, interview might have occured in the weeks since the Wings were fried and now.

Disclaimer - just playing Devil's advocate. I'm wearing his number after all. Please show him a bit of sympathy :D

Anyway, Watters has shown in the past that he'll pull the trigger without considering everything. It would not surprise me if the Wings' charge ends up being found valid.

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2006
  18. Chilehead

Chilehead New Member

IF Unca Brad is investigated and found guilty of tampering, it will not be his first tampering offence, and any fines or compensation to Philly will probably be much higher than those awarded to Buffalo for the "Sandergate" incident. (remember, I started off by saying "IF")

**That being said, I can see Philly wanting Toronto to cough up the rights to Jim Veltman to replace the loss of Clarkie's leadership. ;)

**meant to be a joke, and to rattle a certain Goddess' chain...please don't hit me Christine !!! :rotfl:

19. Plats

Plats New Member

Let's enjoy the Championship Game, this can wait

We'll see what any investigation may uncover, starting Monday.

One thing I will say in his defence, BW did NOT shoot his chaffeur with a shotgun! :D

20. torrrock

torrrock New Member

"It’s the only job that would have made me consider retiring"

Reading the above quote, it's obvious Glenn retired to become the Rock's coach.

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out, but whatever happens, I can't wait to see what Glenn can do behind the bench!

OK, off the boards ... time to go to Buffalo to cheer on the Mammoth :)