NLL Playoffs - 2018/19

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by New Fan, Dec 17, 2018.

1. New Fan

New Fan Active Member

Reading that the format for the playoffs this year have been determine. Eight of the 11 teams make the playoffs. In round one, Team finishing 1st plays the 4th place team and 2nd and 3rd playoff. One and done and game at the highest seed.

Division Finals is a one a done between the winners in Round 1 and game at the highest seeded team. The NLL Championship is best of 3 with the highest seeded team hosting games 1 and 3, if needed.

Your team better be peaking at the right time with a one game series in Round 1 and Division Finals.

2. 30seconds

30seconds Member

Worthless extended seasons are the best..

RockStar likes this.
  3. R.J

R.J Guest

I figured they go to 8 playoff teams next season, but I have no issue with it this season (it's only one year). I was happy when they brought back the one and done playoff format, so glad they're keeping in the same. Hopefully they don't have a bye week prior to the finals like they had last season - I still don't get why they did that. It seems as though every League is trying to needlessly extend their seasons...

Andrew GEA likes this.
  4. Andrew GEA

Andrew GEA Guest

The finals should be one and done as well. Playing a 3, game serise over two weeks sucks

5. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Series play only works if you can run a couple of games every three to four nights and settle, like, a best of three in a Thursday thru Sunday, a best of 5 in a week or a best of 7 in a week and a half.

If you can't run weeknight games (and this league can't), it almost needs to be one and done.

Now, I do hate one and done a bit, because, the "better" team can get screwed for a slow start, a five minute run of bad luck, or even a dodgy goal/penalty call. I like giving the favourite a second chance.....and, the bonus is that this also gives the underdog a second chance.

Years ago, before it was tried, I was one of a few here advocating a trial of the two game series with the OT/mini game tiebreaker (with the hope that it would be a Friday-Saturday home and home.

Having seen this in practice, with it set up one weekend and then the next, it kinda worked (.....most of the mini games that got played were epic anyway).

This said, with the week off between games the mini game felt like it cheapened the whole matchup a bit......a single OT period ended up being worth more than the full game just played......and frankly, more than either of two full games that preceded it. Should maybe have the mini game as two ten minute halves and each team defends both ends......still a touch bogus, but, would be more legit.

Nope. Until this league can sell Wednesday night tix, one and done is best.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    Andrew GEA likes this.
  6. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

One thing missing from this announcement was dates. They would usually say May 3-5 or May 10-12 but that is not there. Which makes me think they're not sure they can get dates depending on the teams that are in.

7. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I actually prefer the one and done playoff format. I know that it gives the lesser team more of an opportunity to catch the better team on an "off night," but the circumstances are the same for both team. If the "better team" is having an off night on that one particular night, then tough ****.

8. I understand that this playoff format is meant to keep as many teams as possible playing meaningful lacrosse into the final weeks of the season - particularly the expansion teams. However, it also greatly diminishes the importance of performing well in the regular season. I would have preferred the top 3 in each division making the playoffs, with the division winner getting a bye, the two wild cards playing a one-and-done, and then having the current best-of-3 with the OT format for the division championship series and league championship series.

9. unspoken

unspoken Member

The only date the Rush could get right now on the first weekend (should they need it) is Friday May 3. The Thursday, Saturday and Sunday are all booked for concerts. And that's an arena which doesn't have one or possibly two of the bigger sports potentially in their playoffs as well.

10. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

As long as it's hockey, I guess they could consider a double header but on a Friday, that would be weird.

11. liveone

liveone Active Member

Really feels like they did this a year early... 8 of 13 teams is actually a lower percentage than the 6 of 9 we had the last few years.

I wouldn't be surprised if they added it this year just for the two extra games to sell.

12. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

They should do the final top seed host game 2&3 same weekend Some combo of Fri/Sat/Sun with option to by both games as one ticket say 40 dollar ticket=65 for two games refund back 25 if game 3 not needed. This way final over in two weekends and it is easier to sell game 3.
    I also always felt they could do neutral site finals top 4 fullest buildings year prior get to bid to have a three day Fri/Sat/Sun all in one city

13. Ziel37

Ziel37 Member

As much as the format sucks, it is nothing compared to the BCHL. 16 of the 17 teams make the playoffs, simply to make more revenue on more games.

14. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I am fine with the playoff format. Furthermore, it's the one that the league was eventually going to grow into anyway, so might as well use it.
    Next year, we will have 13 teams and likely, 1-3 years after that, we will 16 teams.

15. brews

brews Guest

I'm thinking we will have 14 next season. Have a feeling they will announce another team mid/end of season. Boston?

16. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

Highly doubtful they add 3 expansion teams in 1 year

17. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

Even more doubtful that they make it that long without some folding.

Hollywood42 likes this.
  18. brews

brews Guest

If you count the Wings as an expansion team then there were 2 added this year. I cant see 3 being that far fetched, especially if they are gunning for growth. just a thought though.

19. Hollywood42

They can fill the leagues bank account but until
    There’s enough quality players to fill rosters they need to relax on expansion.

And by quality players I mean goalies

20. Hollywood42

5 teams in 2 years almost doubles the league rapid expansion is not the right path
    It’s been done and failed