NLL Playoffs - 2018/19

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by New Fan, Dec 17, 2018.

1. AFedyk

AFedyk Guest

For some new markets like sask and even Halifax, those markets will rely on the casual fan. To be fair most fan bases can’t tell the difference between and good player and a bad player. I don’t think the diluted talent pool will affect attendance at all. It may annoy the knowledgeable lax fan though.

Vin likes this.
  2. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I've been saying this for years.

3. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

not worried about the new markets, worried about the existing markets fighting to keep a healthy season ticket base......too many of those folks just need one more reason not to bother any more

4. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Do not be surprised if, within 10 years, the Toronto Rock become property of the Maple Leafs.

I think it is a matter of time before the existing teams that are Mom & Pops and having STH / attendance issues before their owners realize that they just cannot do what is necessary in the long-run. Then, as more and more potential Big 4 owners begin to see the success that the NLL-owning Big 4 owners are having turning around dying franchises, these potential Big 4 owners will just scoop in and buy the struggling Mom & Pop team.

That said, relocation may be involved - for instance, Georgia.

Within 20 years, almost all NLL teams will have Big 4 owners.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    Tom Wersderfer likes this.
  5. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

That was more of a gimmick like oh look it’s cute a woman is playing a mans sport
    She sucked and was never heard of again

6. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

7. R.J

R.J Guest

Seems to be a problem across pro sports - diehards ain’t what they used to be.

8. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

In defense of die-hards, this is actually a more fundamental problem in society.

Die-hards become that way early and remain so as long as they have a team/sport to root for.

However, once life starts getting in the way (like getting married, starting a family, moving ...), it becomes difficult to be remain engaged and put in the necessary time, energy, and money to do that.

For example, look at Chad G (WFINY, WingedLion, WingsFanInNY, WingsFanInMA). He married a Montréal EXPRESS fan and they are busy raising kids and living in an NLL-free metro area. Chad was one of the great passionate posters here doing statistical analyses and everything. When's the last time he was here? I think maybe early in Obama's first term.

Guys like me can remain die-hards for the most part because I am sans-kids and I work 1200 miles from home, so, outside of work, I have some free time and, well, since all my friends outside of work are really pretty much just you guys, it's easy.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  9. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Chad was a die hard like few others.......likely the only ex-Pat Philadelphian Greater Boston resident that was a season ticketholder for the Wings, made the trip for every home game, and, even turned up on a few of the easier road trips.

At a certain point, I think he was really weary and was there largely due to force of habit

What did it? I guess some combo of the team wasn't all that fun to watch, it was costing a lot in terms of time and funds, select friends and acquaintances were forfeiting their season tickets and not bothering with even the close road trips

I think he said he's only been to one or two Black Wolves game, so, despite the fact that the team moved 4h closer, and got better, it wasn't enough to make him care again.

I think it would take amazingly less for me to stop caring about my home team.......like, if they moved out of downtown Toronto and didn't land somewhere closer to me with cheaper parking, I am pretty sure I wouldn't re-up season seats.

10. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

He married a Montreal Express fan, or he married a Stealth fan from Montreal?

11. Hollywood42

Chad went to a black wolves game 2 years ago and is planning a wings weekend this year. So he didn’t completely vanish

Vin likes this.
  12. AmericanRockFan

Whatever happened to 1sttimelongtime?

13. Hollywood42

He was at the wings opener his daughter was not so get yo dick out your hand

14. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Brain Fart: Express fan. Gotta correct that post.
    I forget her name... It's Iris or Irene or something like that. I think Irene.

15. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I will never forget the time that Chad and I sat next to each other at a TOR @ ROC playoff game. I think in 2007 but might have been 2006. It was totally by accident that we sat next to each other but I think it was because these were single seats almost against the glass. Either I bought a ticket so there was only a single seat available next to me before he bought that seat or vice versa.

16. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

But you can still be an avid die-hard without even going to a single game - especially now that all the games are streamed.
    I never went to an NFL game yet can still be a fan.
    Meanwhile, look at my avatar!... and I live in the Saint Louis MO area now.

As long as your mind has something about what you are a fan of to still be engaged in, you can remain a fan.
    That's what's kept me going during "lean years" with no games to attend or team to fawn over.

17. AmericanRockFan

o_O

18. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

You are correct. His wife's name is Irene.

19. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Any sassy or stomper sighting at the last game?

20. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Also saw The Doctor, but didnt get a chance to talk to him.