NLL tickets a hot item as Georgia comes to Saskatoon

Discussion in 'Saskatchewan Rush Forum' started by Vin, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

http://thestarphoenix.com/sports/local-sports/nll-tickets-a-hot-item-as-georgia-comes-to-saskatoon

NLL tickets a hot item as Georgia comes to Saskatoon

StarPhoenix Sports Editor Kevin MitchellKEVIN MITCHELL, SASKATOON STARPHOENIX

Published on: March 11, 2016 | Last Updated: March 11, 2016 10:24 AM CST

The Saskatchewan Rush have inserted the word “sellout” into their daily conversation as Saturday’s game with the Georgia Swarm moves closer.

Rush president Lee Genier projects tickets sales of 13,000 to 14,000 for the National Lacrosse League match, but he won’t rule out the possibility of a complete sellout at 15,000.

“We are on fire,” Genier said Thursday afternoon — and he’s not just talking about ticket sales.

There’s the matter of jerseys and merchandise, too.

“We are No. 1 in the league, by a long-shot,” said Genier, whose team moved from Edmonton to Saskatoon during the off-season. “When I was talking to Projoy and I told them how many jerseys I wanted to order for the beginning of the season, they cautioned me — they said Buffalo’s the No. 1 seller, and they don’t recommend we order more than 1,000. We’ve ordered three times that amount, and we’re going to have to put in another order. It’s great to prove them wrong, let’s put it that way.”

Areas of SaskTel Centre previously closed off to ticket sales have now been opened as sales surge. A bus is coming on from Estevan, and another from Winnipeg, and Genier says tickets have been sold to fans in places as far-flung as Moose Jaw, Regina, Swift Current, Prince Albert and Lloydminster.

The game with Georgia is the first home game the Rush have played on a Saturday after a long run of Friday home dates. That, says Genier, is a key reason for the ticket rush. Saskatchewan’s last home date, a 19-18 loss to Buffalo, drew 10,433 on a Friday night.

“It gives people the entire day to drive,” Genier said. “The mentality is come on down — like when the Riders have a Saturday-night game, everybody goes and spends the night, and that’s what we’re anticipating here, as well.”

The Rush are 5-3, leaving them two games behind 8-2 Colorado in the NLL’s West Division. Georgia enters with a 4-5 record, including a 16-15 loss to New England their last time out.

Saturday’s game time is 7:30 p.m.

2. Niagra Ned

Niagra Ned Member

Wow! This is good news for the league.

3. BanditsRock11

BanditsRock11 Active Member

Nice home win in front of 13,720 fans. Saturdays are obviously the days to play at home. Awesome support so far there.

4. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Large throng watches Rush swat Swarm

http://thestarphoenix.com/sports/local-sports/large-throng-watches-rush-swat-swarm

Large throng watches Rush swat Swarm

Kevin Mitchell, Saskatoon StarPhoenix
    Published on: March 12, 2016 | Last Updated: March 12, 2016 11:31 PM CST

It was a good night for the Saskatchewan Rush, with a crowd seldom seen in these parts, but it came with a stern warning.
    Their best game of the year? Yes, Saskatchewan Rush head coach Derek Keenan said after Saturday’s 14-8 National Lacrosse League victory over the visiting Georgia Swarm.

But …

“Now we’ve got to build on it,” Keenan said. “We’ve kind of been here before, where we’ve had a pretty good game, and get thinking we’re special. This league doesn’t work that way. Everybody’s good; you take even a shift off, and it’s in your net.”

An announced throng of 13,720 — believed to be the largest sports crowd at the arena since the 2010 world junior hockey championship — watched the Rush run their record to 6-3 with a sterling defensive performance.

They’d surrendered just two goals by halftime. Contrast that with a 19-18 loss to Buffalo the last time they played at home.

“We got challenged by Derek Keenan to put a full 60 together,” said Saskatchewan goalie Aaron Bold, who stopped 32 of 40 shots. “It was a big character game. That’s the Rush we all know.”

Keenan concurs.

“That’s the kind of defensive effort we’ve been looking for, and 60 minutes of it,” he said.

“With this team, it always starts there — it always starts with our defence and goaltending, and tonight … outstanding. It was a complete game.”

Mark Matthews collected four goals and four assists for the Rush, who also got four points each from Robert Church and Zack Greer.

Shayne Jackson picked up two goals and three assists for the Swarm, who fall to 4-6.

Saturday’s clash marked the halfway point of the NLL season for the Rush, who won last year’s league title before shifting their franchise from Edmonton to Saskatoon.

Keenan hasn’t been thrilled with the team’s tendency to run hot-and-cold, but he hopes Saturday’s effort kick-starts a more consistent second half.

“(Georgia’s) got a lot of great shooters, a lot of skill, (Bold) made the saves when needed,” Keenan said. “Our guys, too — they blocked a lot of shots, got in shooting lanes. Most importantly, and the most obvious thing out there tonight, is we played really hard. You look at the loose balls, you look at how hard we ran up and down the floor. We played with a real high compete level.”

The Rush return to action next Saturday with a road game against Vancouver. Their next home game is March 26 against the Toronto Rock.

5. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

It's nice when the local newspaper makes this the lead and featured story in their sports section. When the local press is on-board and willing to dedicate resources, look at what can happen.

6. Rick716

Rick716 Active Member

Great to see the attendance so far in Sask. 13,000 is awesome. Obviously, Saturday night's are the night for the NLL. Any other night is always lower.

7. KHawkTobey

KHawkTobey Member

Tell me about it. Our local rag treats the 'Hawks like a red-headed stepchild. And their office is literally across the street (currently) from the BCA, yet we get "staff reports" about the game. If it ain't Bills or Sabres, they ain't printing it. Same with our so-called "local" sports TV spots - all Bills, all the time. :doh:

8. Rigger

Rigger New Member

Hope they set an attendance record with Toronto coming in tonight. Should be a great game! Back to back games are great at building intensity and rivalries.

9. New Fan

New Fan Member

Must be great for the Rush players playing now. Most nights only a max of 7000 in Edmonton and again tonight over 13,000. A way better fan attendance than even Calgary. Good stuff.

10. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

looks like the NLL hit the lottery here like when washington DC relocated to Denver
    sucks losing your team as i know but very happy this is working out in sask i was very skeptical

11. jetman

jetman Active Member

Good for the Rush. I guess maybe I was wrong about dissing the NLL successfully moving to such a small city. I still question whether or not it's good for the league image to have a team in a place that most Americans couldn't find on a map, but there's no doubt that the fans there are giving the team great support. It does help to have a championship caliber team right from the start, rather than a poor expansion team as well. Good luck to the Rush and their fans. Hope the love affair lasts.

12. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

The Saskatoon Star Phoenix even had a story yesterday, Monday - two days after the game, about this team. The Rush are "featured" on their website. The local newspaper is certainly doing its part. I wonder about the TV news media and local sports radio station.

13. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Most Americans can't find America on a map and need a f*cking GPS to get to the corner store.

14. wacklax

wacklax Member

Well said Vin

15. jetman

jetman Active Member

Looks like another great crowd in Saskatoon tonight for the Calgary game. Looks like the NLL is 1 for 2 on relocations this year. Rush=unqualified success, Swarm=can't draw flies

16. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

at the beginning of the broadcast they said there were 200 tickets left 30 minutes before game time.

Why re retire Quinnlin's number? It was questionable enough the first time.

17. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Think about that...

18. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Gotta agree with this. I liked Quinlan......Saw him as a poor man's lefty version of an Evans. Tough, gritty pest-like play. This said, he's not a Sask native, and never played for the team in this location.....re-retiring seems somewhat pointless.