NLL trademarked some logos

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by TofuBomb, Dec 14, 2018.

1. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

What kind connection would Wave have to washington? Evan Almightly wasnt made until 20 years later.

2. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

I always figured some guy in a suit had a thought about how popular doing the wave was in the mid 80's at american sporting events and said lets go with that.

As for the Wings I was told once it was a play on flyers and eagles

3. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

What about Bandits?

4. swami24

Chris and Russ probably paid a marketing major from Drexel.$50.and a case of Tastykakes

k-hawksfan33 and RockStar like this.
  5. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

I have never heard a story about the team name

6. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Well-Known Member

I once asked Scott Loffler about that and he simply said that the league (MILL, which owned all of the franchises) chose the name.

7. AmericanRockFan

In that case, the league probably just wanted something clever that started with B. Considering Bisons has been taken, and Braves is probably still trademarked by the LA Clippers and/or NBA, Bandits is probably the last somewhat sports team appropriate name left.

8. swami24

Brigade
    Brigantine( old warship)
    Battalion
    Badgers
    And on..

9. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

Would the NY expansion team inherit the records of previous franchises in the area? The Saints won the championship in 1988, right? Or does that not count because it's MILL?

10. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

The NLL makes up the rules as it goes. They clearly stated that the Wings history went with the Black Wolves, yet the Wings still claim all their titles (as seen In the banner raising) as well as the MILL ones.

It will probably come down to how many old timers fuss about it.

11. AmericanRockFan

I don't really care what the NLL says, I consider the Wings lineage to date back to whenever Wings 1.0 started, and I'd consider a new Saints team to be a continuation of the old one. I don't count the Titans as the Saints lineage though.

IAmDroot likes this.
  12. BanditsRock11

BanditsRock11 Well-Known Member

See I’m fine with the Wings being tied to Wings 1.0 but not the Saints if they are back. There’s been too long of a gap, but I guess playing in the same arena kinda helps towards that but. I dunno. It’s been quite some time.

13. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Wings 1.0 = Philadelphia Wings of the original 1974-1975 NLL
    Wings 2.0 = Philadelphia Wings of the EPBLL, MILL, NLL, 1987-2014
    Wings 3.0 = Philadelphia Wings of the NLL, 2018-

Wings 2.0 history/records go with New England Black Wolves per the NLL Media Guide since the debut season of the New England Black Wolves in 2015. That franchise began in Philadelphia but is now in New England.

Any new New York team - Saints or otherwise - is a pure expansion and is new franchise with no history, just like the Wings 3.0.

14. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

EAD7672A-B87B-4C4E-A13E-0FAECCC8F4C0.jpeg The wings say to hell with the history book

RockStar likes this.
  15. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

For marketing purposes in Philadelphia, I have no significant problem with that. For instance, I am happy to see Wings banners remain in Philadelphia because that is where they were earned.

For historical purposes, I do - as does the league and NEBW which is why the Media Guide states the truth.

16. swami24

The records and stats should go, unless there was an agreement to leave them behind.
    There is no reason to not recognize past championships and players in the city left behind.

17. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

Lets face it less than 100 people league wide care.
    As far as records go there are games from before 1998 that the league has no record of other than final score.

18. BIG E NY

BIG E NY Active Member

This is very true. It’s too bad they didn’t keep statistical player records going all the way back. They appeared in game programs I had ‘89-‘91 but those are long gone.

19. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

Anyone know when NY is expected to announce its team identity?

20. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

Mid February