No Dhane Smith on All-Pro teams

Discussion in 'Buffalo Bandits Forum' started by GoodsOnSabres, Aug 12, 2018.

1. GoodsOnSabres

GoodsOnSabres Member

I'm surprised no one has discussed this here. Isn't it quite strange that Dhane Smith wasn't on the first or second All-Pro teams despite finishing third in the league in points?

2. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

Yes, it is strange. But the way the NLL sets all-pro teams is strange in and off itself. Each team has 3 offense guys, 1 transition guy, 1 defender and 1 goalie. If you watch just about any game in the NLL, you would never see that as a line on the floor. It's comparable to the NHL but not the NLL.

Why not set an all-pro offense with 5 guys, an all-pro defense with 5 guys (throw in some transition guys there) and 2 goalies?

AmericanRockFan likes this.
  3. BanditsRock11

BanditsRock11 Well-Known Member

I’m not surprised, this league is generally completely stupid.

bontasaur likes this.
  4. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I'd take this setup.

5. fandit

fandit Active Member

I think he's a victim of his own success. Most people think he will set records every year, when he doesn't it's considered a bad season for him. Being 3rd in scoring and not being considered among the best for last season is insulting. Hopefully he's angry about this and uses it as motivation for tearing it up next year.

6. chuckster

It's worth mentioning that Dhane has been hurt the last week or so for Six Nations and had not played in the playoffs. I read somewhere it's a hamstring issue but it's keeping him out.

7. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

For a forward it is mostly about goals and finishing tied with five guys for 7th in goals and only being the 2nd highest goal scorer on the worst team in the NLL is not going to get you a place in the top 6 forwards.
    The only guy who beat Smith into the 6 all pro forward spots by scoring few goals was Matthews who had 5 less goals and 16 more assists while leading the NLL in points and assists.

8. Rick716

Rick716 Active Member

The league announces these awards and all-pro teams so long after the previous season that, #1 I don't even care about it, and #2 I can't remember who did what last year.

9. chuckster

Dhane was back for Game 6 of the Rock-Chiefs series but he was basically a non-factor. Chiefs were eliminated so Dhane can now rest the hammy and hopefully be 100% ready to go for Bandits camp.

10. AmericanRockFan

Totally agreed. It’s almost unfortunate to net 72 goals (an average of 4 goals a game!) because everything by comparison is going to seem like a down year. Even for him, it has to be frustrating know there’s a pretty good chance he won’t top the 2016 season the rest of his career.

11. AmericanRockFan

It’s been said before and said again but this league needs to do these awards in the week leading up to the final(s). I’m sure the hotel in whatever town has a spare ballroom that can be used, and if not, find some random place in the arena to do it. Surely there’s a spare locker room somewhere.

12. chuckster

He's still relatively young to do it again but defenses key on him much more now so it will be much harder to repeat it.

13. fandit

fandit Active Member

That's why Shawn Evans is such a big addition. Key on Dhane, Shawn kills you. Key on Shawn, Dhane kills you. Working together for a full season they should be unstoppable.

14. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

In theory it should of been that way with Crowley and Evans .
    In the end Evans attitude killed it all

15. chuckster

Dhane and Evans are on the same side of the floor so if you key on one, you're actually keying on both of them since they are usually working together there.

Ideally, if you focus on that side of the floor, that should open the other side where you have Jones, Byrne and Durston.

16. fandit

fandit Active Member

You just made the perfect argument for getting Staats if he comes out. Thanks!

17. fandit

fandit Active Member

You aren't suggesting that Crowley is as good as Dhane, are you? :confused:

18. chuckster

I've been making an argument for weeks to get Staats if he's coming out. I still think a package of Jones or Byrne PLUS #3 overall PLUS a guy like Fraser and maybe a swap of 2nd rounders would get it done for both sides. I'm not against getting Staats......but I would be against an overpay that is more than I've proposed.

19. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

50 goal players aren’t comparable they are both elite

20. chuckster

If you compare their regular season goal stats, they are pretty much dead even.

Crowley -- 257 goals in 118 games for an average of 2.177 per game
    Smith -- 222 goals in 101 games for an average of 2.198 per game

Dhane has a higher assist total which makes his overall point total 5.2 per game vs. Crowley's 4.5 per game.