No first round draft picks for the next three years

Discussion in 'New England Black Wolves Forum' started by TofuBomb, Aug 10, 2018.

1. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

I'm just getting into the NLL, and noticed the Black Wolves have traded away their first round picks for the coming years. What's the general consensus among fans about these trades? Are they evidence of mismanagement or were they smart decisions?

2. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

It depends on what they got back. The Wolves gave up Tyler Digby and this year's and next year's 1st rounders to get Shawn Evans. Evans is now in Buffalo and the return was Callum Crawford who is not worth two 1st rounders, IMO.

The Wolves gave up their 1st rounder in 2020 to get the 7th overall pick in the 2017 draft from Georgia and that pick became Colton Watkinson who was in the conversation for Rookie of the Year. It will depend what Georgia does with that pick in 2 years and what the 2020 draft looks like with maybe 3 more expansion teams.

It's hard to part with 1st rounders and it can have ramifications, especially when a team goes bad like the Vancouver Stealth. Even when you trade them 2 or 3 years out, it can come back to bite you. I bet the Stealth would have loved the 3rd overall pick in this year's draft, especially if Austin Staats comes in.

The Bandits traded away 4 total 1st rounders in separate deals to get Ryan Benesch and Anthony Cosmo. They made the finals in 2016 but Benesch went to Colorado for Crawford who was then flipped for Evans. Cosmo retired.

3. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

In the NBA, I don't think you're even allowed to trade away consecutive first rounders, because it can be so damaging. So I was definitely skeptical when I saw the Wolves had traded away three years worth. But I guess, with fewer teams the difference between first and second round draft picks isn't as stark as it is in other leagues.

4. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Well-Known Member

If you're going to compare after a subsequent trade, you have to look at it a little differently. Callum Crawford may not be worth two first round picks but "Crawford plus two 1/2 years of Shawn Evans" might be - and you acquired 32-year-old Evans and traded away 34-year-old Evans.

The trade as it stands now is Tyler Digby, two first round picks, and a fourth round pick for two 1/2 years of Shawn Evans and then Callum Crawford plus a second round pick. The further away from the original trade you get, the harder it is to determine a single winner.

5. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

They hold an extreme ransom in Kevin Crowley if he ever wants to play in Philadelphia
    However I personally know he and manney are content on being black wolves

6. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Trading away first rounders has always been the MO of that now extended management for the franchise.

7. Wingslax1426

Wingslax1426 Guest

Throwback to when the old wings traded the future for 2 years of Brodie Merrill

8. BlackWolves99

BlackWolves99 Member

First off I wanted to say welcome to the fan forums and hope to see you at some of the games this upcoming season.

Now to answer your question, there are a couple thoughts on how to manage your team especially in a state where expansion will most likely be occurring over the foreseeable future. My opinion is this management is building a team more for the now rather than the future. Draft picks are obviously important but at the same time, draft picks during expansion years turn that top pick into a #3 pick or #4 pick very quickly and with that you might not get the talent you might be hoping for with a top draft pick. So far this offseason, this team seems to be bringing some veterans to the team that should mesh with some of the great young players on this team. This should hopefully make them once again become a strong team and one who will continue making the playoffs and hopefully will bring them one day the NLL Cup. Also to note as others have as well above, they do hold some players currently that could be very valuable in the future for other teams and as the draft comes closer, you never know what deals might go down. But as of right now, I'm feel that this team has improved at least on paper and will be fun again to watch this fall and winter.

9. TofuBomb

TofuBomb Guest

Thanks! Yeah, money is tight. But I'd definitely love to go to a few games.

That's a good point about a #1 pick turning into the #3 pick in expansion years. But that sounds a lot better than the #26 pick!

10. chuckster

In Buffalo, we saw that alot with the Darris Kilgour GM years. He traded away future 1st rounders to win now with guys like Benesch and Cosmo. The team was competitive but they won 0 championships in that time.

Who won championships? The Hawks, the Rush and the Swarm. And how did they build their teams? With their own draft picks. Sure they supplemented with some trades but they positioned themselves well.

11. unspoken

unspoken Member

The Rush did build through drafts, but mostly through traded picks. The only guys on the roster they took with their own pick were Curtis Knight and Robert Church, and even Church has an asterisk in that discussion as the Rush traded their own 1st round pick to the Swarm for Zack Greer, but then reacquired their own pick from the Swarm along with Nic Bilic for the 1st rounder of Philly which they got in the Merrill/Ianucci trade.

12. chuckster

I probably should have been clearer by saying the draft, in general. Mark Matthews was their top pick in 2012 but that pick came from a trade with the Stealth.