Now is the time!!!

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Wings Forum' started by Dickie1, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Dickie1

Dickie1 New Member

August 30th, 2002. Mark the date on your calendars. It is the date that will be forever remembered as the day professional baseball finally died. I, for one, am happy that the "sport" is going away. I used to love the MLB as a kid, and from that time until now, all they have done is break the hearts of myself and others. It is like a bad relationship that you cannot break yourself from, but like those, all good and bad things come to an end. Sure, baseball will return, but will the people?? Some will, but I think most won't. As of now, the Wings draw more fans per game then the Phillies, or at least it is close. My point is this: The time is now for the NLL to move into the spotlight. Baseball is a slow sport, and while it is a great game, it is truly outdated. Life moves so fast now, and these days, people like everything fast...food, money, cars...and sports. Lacrosse, similiar to hockey and basketball, is a fast moving sport. I believe with the right marketing and publicity, it could take off. How they do it, I don't know. But right now is the perfect time to take that shot. The first time I went to a Wings game, I thought I would hate it. Instead, I liked it. And the next time I went, I loved it. If they can just figure out a way to get folks to try it once, they will come back. The time is now, folks, the time is now. Time to kick that steroid abused, greedy, slow fraud of a game while it's down, and take a spot among the major sports.

2. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Dickie:

for once, I completely agree with you. Death to MLB!

I have not watched a Baseball telecast since before the last strike, and will never watch one again!

I did attend one game last summer. The purposes of attending this game was only to remind myself why I hadn't watched baseball in 7 years.

3. RyanP

RyanP Active Member

Well said Dickie.
    I could not agree more. I really agree that once you get a person into their first game the can really become hooked. I am living proof. My brother took me to my first game and I was hooked ever since. Since then we have tried our best to bring new people to games. Our biggest success stories, Greg, and Kevin, are now season ticket holders with us. The way we do it. We have (4) guys who go to every game, but we buy (5) seats. That way one of us can always bring somebody.

4. Any1forDoomsday

Any1forDoomsday New Member

this site is great www.mlbfanstrike.com . Anyways, i hate baseball, i haven't followed anything about baseball since...uhm.....1994 ...so who cares if it dies or not, it hasn't been a major sport in almost ten years.

5. vickster

vickster New Member

dickey1 hit the nail on the head with this one <as I shudder typing it> . MLB left a bad taste in alot of people's mouths after the first strike. This will absolutely be the end for it.

On another note though, I dont think baseball as a sport will die. If you watch some of the "non professional" teams play, you'll see a group that plays their hearts out and makes the game enjoyable for the fans too.

6. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

apples and oranges

When asked today.. do you think baseball will strike? I replied, "I hope so." I have attended only one game since 1993 and that was becasue my brother-in-law begged me to go for free (5th row first base). I originally said no, but he threw in beer and food. I figured I'd do him a favor. It really hasn't been that difficult considering how bad the Phils are.

Baseball will not die, at best/worst (depending on which way you hold the spear) it will just look like minor league ball. I have no problem with minor league ball, and do go to 5+ Trenton Thunder game a year. The players actually sign autographs before games, for free :eek: Some of the will actually chat with you while in the on deck circle. That spirit is what they lose when they get the dough in the Show.

The problem is that baseball is almost zero competition for the NLL. Only spring training and maybe a few early games conflict for attention. IMO the main competetion for the NLL is college basketball. The national networks favor showing St John's vs Niagra or Ohio State vs Rutgers men's hoop over Bandits/saints or Sharks/Storm. The Big Five, plus one, always get the local coverage here in Phila.

7. Dickie1

Dickie1 New Member

Baseball, as a game, will never die. It has too great of a tradition, and it means so much to this country, and others. However, on the professional level, it needs to "die". Hopefully, it will.

I understand the NLL season does not "run into" the baseball season. I just think that if the RIGHT things were done in regards to marketing and advertising, the NLL could thrive and give folks who don't have faith in sports.....well, it could give them faith again. The NLL needs to market it's stars better...give them personality, and give the folks something to come to the arena for other then the game. They need to make NLL games EVENTS, and if they can do that successfully, the fans will come. People, in general, want to be part of what is happening. Create an event, and people show up.

Again, I don't have all, or really any, of the answers. But, I do think this is the time. This is the window of opportunity and they need to make a move....big time.

Great accomplishments always involve great risk...time to roll the dice with the big bucks on the table.

8. ColsLax

ColsLax New Member

Amen, Dickie1, amen.

9. airborne

airborne New Member

Can we archive this or something? I want to be able to show it to my grandkids and say "I was alive when everyone agreed with Dickie1."

There's a lot to say on this subject, but baseball as 'the american pasttime' is already dead and gone. Now its a ruthless conglomerate of millionaires doing cut-throat business. America may not be perfect but that sure as hell ain't our past time.

But what if the NLL does get big? And then it ends up like baseball? Ioughno...

10. Dickie1

Dickie1 New Member

I'll tell you this: the rich punks in baseball have always annoyed me because they are playing a "game". The other sports are "games" too, but I always thought that football, hockey, and even basketball players put their bodies...their livelyhood....on the line more than baseball players do. Lacrosse players fall into that category as well. They are playing a game, a sport, but they are putting a lot on the line, and for chump change at that. I know that if the NLL got huge, the players would change a bit, and the price would go up. But I can accept that, if, and this is a huge IF, the game itself does not change a lot. These players deserve better money (Tom Ryan excluded), and if that means raising ticket prices a little, I'm fine with that.

I look at the NLL and see the NFL years and years ago. A high contact sport with tons of potential to take America and the world by storm. The awesome thing is....we are all part of the beginning of that tradition. Dallas Eliuk is our Babe Ruth, Tom Marachek is our Sammy Baugh....we are the fans who are witnessing what could be the beginning of a great thing...not just an afterthought in the sports section.

11. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

Baseball actually starts just as the NLL playoffs start. Many of you will remember that in Canada, they picked up the broadcast for the NLL championship game in progress, part way into the game because Sportsnet had already committed to a Jays game that night.

I can remember travelling to Rochester two weeks before that. Why? because Sportsnet tape delayed the Ravens at Hawks game in favour of baseball (I felt like watching the game before I knew the final score!)

Anyway, here's hoping that MLB is still on strike when the NLL season finishes next year. Barring that, hopefully the NLL can compress the schedule somewhat, and finish by the end of March.

12. CrazyRavensFan

CrazyRavensFan New Member

I'm scaring myself a little in saying this, but well here goes...
    Dickie is RIGHT!!! Death to baseball!!!!

There I said it.... Now I should get an appointment with the doctor, agreeing with Dickie is a symtom of crazyness....:D

13. CoCo

CoCo New Member

Well...

I heard Tom Ryan is going to use his dreads to negotiate and baseball will not have to strike...man he has it out for you Dickie.

14. Hooligan

Hooligan Average Joe Millionaire

Actually, this is a ploy to finally irraticate the New York Yankees completely! This strike will kill the MLB, including the Yanks.

Then, when some time has passed, a new professional baseball league will pop up in place of the MLB, and included almost all of the existing pro squads. It would be nice to think that the Yanks will no longer be included.

That is truely what I think will happen. If baseball does strike, it will most certainly die. People like me, who love the game, will thank Bud Selig formally in the parking lot for his successful destruction of this game. But (like Dickie said) baseball is too deeply rooted in America, and will not disappear. Like the other four pro sports, another pro baseball league will pop up, and take over. If the MLB does fold, the teams will join this new league. This new league will solve the present problems with the league (salary cap, lower wages, etc), and will force players to either retire completely, or play by these new rules. It may take a few years for the new league to gain as much attention as the MLB, but it will eventually hold on. This will be due to the fact that spoiled brats like Barry Bonds (who currently has an immense following), will not play in a league where the only chance he will have to play is on a team like the KC Royals. Remember, he demands a championship.

I love baseball, and I know I am one of a very few. I am dreading the strike if it does come, and it will be some time before I will be able to see a pro game live again, if they do strike. I always wanted to take my son to a game and teach him to keep score. Since I'm not even married, a son is not in the picture for some years to come. I am really depressed about this decision, and hope they will be able to come to terms.

15. eliukfan35

eliukfan35 New Member

WOW, I never thought I would say this, but here goes...Dickie, you're absolutely right. You said it all.

16. raphilly

raphilly New Member

> I look at the NLL and see the NFL years and years ago.

Wow, Dickie, we agree on something... never thought I'd see the day. :)

Alas, that's all we agree on, it seems. If there's a strike, it won't kill Major League Baseball, partly because this isn't a nuclear war strike and partly because enough fans will come back to keep it going as it currently exists (as they did in 1972, 1981, 1985, 1990, and 1994).

On the former, consider that the players and owners are closer to a deal than at any pre-strike point ever. All the "minor" issues (draft rules, tweaks to arbitration, drug testing) are done or are close to done. The players have even agreed that a luxury tax is workable -- all that has to happen (and this is, granted, a lot) is for the two sides to hammer out a deal. (Why is the players' consent on the idea of a luxury tax so damn important? It's like the old joke: A man meets a woman in a bar, asks her if she'd have sex with him for a million dollars. She says that yes, of course she would. He asks if she'd do it for ten bucks. She objects, screaming, "What do you think I am?!?!" His reply: "Well, I know damn right well what you are... we're just haggling over the price.")

What I can't understand (well, I can understand it... I just can't abide by it) is the notion that MLB is somehow different than other sports. It's a game played by grossly overpaid men. It's a business, dammit. Hockey was not destroyed when the NHL's labor strife seven years ago cost it half the season (and remember, there are still plenty of hockey fans who haven't gone back). Football was not destroyed when labor strife in 1982 cost it half a season, or when the NFL decided five years later to use replacement players in regular-season games (remaining the only major league ever to do so) -- and by 1982, NFL had overtaken MLB in terms of popularity.

I know what you're going to say. Baseball isn't like football or hockey or basketball. The owners and players have a sacred trust to preserve the national pastime. Sacred trust, my ass. There's never been any sacred trust to baseball. Go out and study the behind-the-scenes history of baseball (a great reading is John Helyar's "Lords of the Realm"). The owners have always cared about themselves first and foremost, tricking and downright screwing the players at every turn (contract negotiations in the days of DiMaggio weren't exactly a fair fight). The players, since unionizing in the 1960s, have cared about themselves first and foremost, tricking and downright screwing the owners at every turn (salary arbitration being their best victory).

R.A.

17. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Cut to the punch everyone...

The league needs to have EVERY home game be like a game in Philly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. eliukfan35

eliukfan35 New Member

LOL... :rotfl:

19. landsharksfan

landsharksfan New Member

i loved baseball at one time. i went to high school just to play baseball, and after the 1994 strike , i havent watched it since. i lime goiung to the triple a games, the prices are lower, and my kids enjoy it. but my kids and i really love lacrosse. i fell in love with it after one game. i wish it could be as big as baseball. i wish yahoo sports had an icon for it, i wish espn had a segment on it. i wish espn, and espn 2 carried the games. i think it can, but it has to be marketed better. i love the landsharks, and the nll.

20. jstraw80

jstraw80 Active Member

Now only if CSN can give the WINGS the Phillies TV coverage, we'd be o.k. And With a little more advertising and a hell of alot more marketing etc. we'd be on the fast track!