NY Lizards Owner looking to bring NLL team back to Long Island, NY

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by gslav89, Dec 20, 2016.

1. gslav89

gslav89 Member

"Murstein wants to bring a National Lacrosshttp://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/12/19/schwartz-cosmos-lizards/ e League team to the new Nassau Coliseum, which is scheduled to open April 5 with a Billy Joel concert. The refurbished arena will host many sporting events such as college basketball, hockey and boxing, but now it looks like lacrosse could be a possibility.

“We just started to look into it last week,” Murstein said. “I reached out to the Nets about the coliseum site and the NLL last week. I believe there’s something to be said about cross promotion. This way, we could leverage one organization to cover two teams in two different seasons, which complement each other well.” source: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/12/19/schwartz-cosmos-lizards/

2. thwingfan

thwingfan Active Member

Please no one tell Roy.

3. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I feel like a broken record, but....

I would like to see an NLL team in New York again, but I don't see it working the __th time around.

4. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

If this multi millionaire has aspirations of being a millionaire, this can work!

swami24 likes this.
  5. Rick716

Rick716 Active Member

I'd love to see a team return to the Coliseum. I'd keep the Saints name if possible. If the arena cost can be worked out, it could work. One would think that with the size of the NYC market, a team could draw 8,000 to break even. Yet, that has proven difficult. What could be done differently to make this attempt succeed?

6. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

The Mausoleum would probably love any Tennant once remodeled.

7. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

The franchise rights to the saints is long expired, the saints name is free and clear

8. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

This. Also, with the capacity being reduced to around 13,000, it won't look so awful when only 5,000 show up.

This could be the perfect time to put a team back on the island (that doesn't mean I think it will be a success).

9. BlackWolves99

BlackWolves99 Member

New York Major League Lacrosse Historical Attendance Numbers (since 2010)

2016 New York Lizards Attendance Numbers:
    36,816 total in 7 home games (5,259 average attendance)

2015 New York Lizards Attendance Numbers:
    37,056 total in 7 home games (5,293 average attendance)

2014 New York Lizards Attendance Numbers:
    30,904 total in 7 home games (4,414 average attendance)

2013 New York Lizards Attendance Numbers:
    23,498 total in 7 home games (3,356 average attendance)

2012 Long Island Lizards Attendance Numbers:
    17,147 total in 7 home games (2,449 average attendance)

2011 Long Island Lizards Attendance Numbers:
    22,966 total in 6 home games (3,827 average attendance)

2010 Long Island Lizards Attendance Numbers:
    18,786 total in 6 home games (3,131 average attendance)

2009 Long Island Lizards Attendance Numbers:
    25,822 total in 6 home games (4,303 average attendance)

2009 NLL NY Titans Existed At Same Time (4,692 average attendance)

2008 Long Island Lizards Attendance Numbers:
    21,330 total in 6 home games (3,555 average attendance)

2008 NLL NY Titans Existed At Same Time (6,509 average attendance)

2007 Long Island Lizards Attendance Numbers:
    26,588 total in 6 home games (4,431 average attendance)

2007 NLL NY Titans Existed At Same Time (7,657 average attendance)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  10. AmericanRockFan

Interesting increase, but I'm not sure how that'll translate to NLL support. I do have to inquire about the puzzling dip between 2011 and 2012, only for it to practically be restored in 2013.

11. I think this guy doesn't realize that 5,000 in the MLL is great attendance and terrible in the NLL. Also for the New York market, I have a suspicion that the Coliseum could be in play, if the Nets owned the team, not the Lizards.

But I guess this signals the feud between the two leagues is over. I am not saying merge the leagues, but it would be nice to see the two leagues work together on things like sponsorships, TV deals etc.

12. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

As one who has studied statistics, you should understand that statistics, when properly understood, allude to underlying patterns.
    So, when looking at a data set, a statistical analysis may allude to a particular pattern. At that point, we start to use science to logically investigate the reasons for the observed pattern. Science may determine that the observed pattern may have an underlying phenomenon governing it - after all, many of our discoveries were initially made this way - but, just as often, the observed pattern is not a pattern at all but a set of coincidences with no significant causation between them. That is the case with National Lacrosse League in New York. Each reason for failure was very distinct and in no way co-related with the reasons for failure for other teams in that market.

13. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

1. I think the guy is well-aware.
    2. Yes, it would be good if feuding stopped.

14. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

The Lizards sucked and played in a shitty area.

15. swami24

The new configuration, and rent, should be aligned for minor league income and crowds.

16. BlackWolves99

BlackWolves99 Member

I'd be interested in seeing how they do attendance wise for the non-music events such as Harlem Globetrotters, Monster Jam, and Long Island Hoops prior really committing any teams there if I was them. However if they can get a relationship on board and essentially if Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment had partial ownership with the owner of the Lizards, it seems feasible from a cost standpoint as long as they can get a strong attendance than what they are currently getting out for the Lizards games currently.

17. AmericanRockFan

It's just surprising to see attendance rebound so much so quickly, considering how a lot of teams in a niche sport like this don't rebound that fast, or sometimes even at all.

18. mtbf

mtbf Well-Known Member

Saints Suck

swami24 likes this.
  19. swami24

Great post mtbf!

20. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

and so did Gongas... who was the reason that the Saints tanked.

...and let's not forget John Rigas, the Buffalo owner at that time, who came close to destroying under-5500-average-attendance Bandits.

So, lesson to be learned: Shitty ownership and shitty GMs can kill a franchise that would otherwise be successful in the market that they are in.
    Do I need another example of a team that was in a comparable situation so that it used its Wings to take flight?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016