NY Post: Pro lacrosse league looking to add New York franchise

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by Vin, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

http://nypost.com/2017/10/05/pro-lacrosse-league-looking-to-add-new-york-franchise/

Pro lacrosse league looking to add New York franchise
    By Josh Kosman

October 5, 2017 | 10:05pm

The National Lacrosse League is looking to add a team in New York, a banker told The Post.

The 32-year-old league — which is looking for a New York franchise owner with at least $50 million in liquid assets — in the last few months sold a franchise in San Diego for a reported $5 million to Alibaba Vice Chairman Joseph Tsai.

Also recently, cable TV giant Comcast has agreed to pay a similar price to start a Philadelphia lacrosse team.

“We will never launch an expansion team unless the owner has depth of resources, controls an arena or has a sensible lease,” NLL Commissioner Nick Sakiewicz told The Post; he declined comment on the $50 million requirement.

2. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

best way to become a millionaire:

1. become a multimillionaire,
    2. buy a NYC area NLL franchise.

i like the way they asked for liquid net worth of $50M.

3. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that the NY Saints did OK with attendance during the early years. The Nassau Coliseum has been renovated so maybe it's in play for the franchise?

4. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

Most of the MILL did very well. Philly and Buffalo were about 14k, Boston and NY were about 8k, Baltimore did 6K, Rochester was around 9k, ... why do you think the players wanted a bigger piece of the pie and formed the union? The only true dog draw in the history of the MILL was Charlotte. Even abandoned Pittsburgh and Detroit drew favorable to some NLL teams, def higher than the swarm and the stealth.

5. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

Pitt was a dog too. Crossefire, not the Bulls. That was the worst attended game.for which I was present. They announced a few thousand, but I actually counted about 500. I think NJ was fairly hound-ish too.

6. swami24

swami24 Well-Known Member

So with the suggested requirements...does that mean Dolan is the target owner again? I can only imagine if a certain past poster was around.

Josh harris owns the sixers and.devils. he would certainly qualify for the ny market.

7. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

I don't think that's a fair assessment.
    1. The Saints eventually failed after about 15 seasons due to the incompetency of the owner, Gongas.
    2. The Titans failed because the owners got spanked in The Great Recession (and don't forget the cancellation of the season at one point which alienated a good number of fans - especially those in NY).
    Given the current attitude about the league regarding expansion - the same attitude many of us have had here for a LONG time - it's about the ownership and arena situation, not the market, per se. So, expansion into New York is not a problem because of New York but is if there is not an owner who can deal with that market and be financially robust.

8. Wings-4-Life

Wings-4-Life Well-Known Member

I would say it's more likely that they called 3 different arenas home at the same time, and that their 2nd season they played 6 home games & 10 roads games, but sure, we can blame the recession if it makes you feel better.

9. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

Though wasn't that circumstance a result of the season briefly being cancelled? Granted, I never had the vibe the New York Titans were going to be a long-term fixture in the NLL.

10. Vin

Vin Well-Known Member

Well, actually, congratulations, you just made my point.

Q: Why were there 3 different arenas?
    A: Owners who were not financially robust later being devastated by The Great Recession. Also, an additional part of the answer is the same answer to the next question.

Q: Why was that 2nd season 6 home games and 10 road games?
    A: Because the NLL cancelled the 2008 season during the Fall 2007 labor issue. This resulted in original 2008 arena schedule hold dates being released. Once the 2008 season was "uncancelled", the urgent need to make a new 2008 season schedule, New York, being an intense market, lost most, if not all, of their quality bookings. Thus, they played wherever and whenever they could get a date. Needless to say, that also alienates fans...

11. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

in other words, the owners folded after they lost their shirts in failed NLL ownership experiments......

my assessment is pithy and sarcastic, but, not fully unfair...... :)

12. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I'd love to know how many current owners have at least $50M in liquid assets.... I know Pegula does obviously, but I think he's an outlier.

13. Not much is known (from what I could find on a quick online search) about Jamie Dawick (current rock owner), we do know however the TRAC (Toronto Rock Athletic Center) in Oakville was built by him for $20 million, he is the grand nephew of a big media guy Ken Thompson and his father owns Adventure house travel, he also played poker professionally but he estimates his career winnings at only $200,000

source: https://www.thestar.com/sports/lacrosse/2016/03/23/toronto-rock-owner-jamie-dawick-all-in-despite-challenges.html

14. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

a fatal miscalculation. the parties snuffed out a future that Jennings put together. I felt bad that here he comes up with new teams, new markets, VS tv, and then the players and owners tell each other to pound sand. hoping that we have calmer heads now.

15. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

NY owner gary rosenbach was very wealthy but the hedge fund that he was either #2 or #3 imploded from an insider trading scandal. gary became a lead witness and was wired up bringing down the funds managing partners. looks like gary is back in the saddle. https://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/04/26/galleon-group-co-founder-surfaces-on-horseback/?_r=0

16. BIG E NY

BIG E NY Member

The Saints did very well attendance wise 89-93. The biggest crowds were all for the Gaits. There was a buzz on the Island when they were coming to town. I would say a new team would settle in the 8k or 9k range across the now longer schedule. Not Philly level support but far better than Georgia, Vancouver and New England.