NY Post: Pro lacrosse league looking to add New York franchise

Discussion in 'NLL News and Rumors' started by Vin, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Dave S-C

Dave S-C Active Member

The LEC holds 5,276 - but what keeps them viable is the LEC is owned by the township of Langley (it would be equivalent to a really small US County owning an arena) so the Stealth are probably getting a sweet deal of a lease, especially since the LEC was aggressive in luring a 'major' tenant like the Stealth to relocate from Everett. Anywhere else in a private-owned arena, no way they could survive with the numbers they draw.

2. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

i am still not sure I buy that stealth are breaking even.......even with arena costs of zero, they probably still need $2m to operate for a season.

do the math - more than $200k take per home game needed, 5000+@$40+......

3. AmericanRockFan

AmericanRockFan Well-Known Member

I'd love to know which team sells the most merchandise. Granted, it probably is the team that has the highest attendance, but I'd love to see if there's some sort of correlation between attendance and merchandise revenue.

4. chuckster

chuckster Well-Known Member

http://www.stealthlax.com/sponsors/

There are 32 of them. Some of them may not be all cash but there is revenue and savings there that help the bottom line in 1 way or another.

5. RockStar

RockStar Well-Known Member

if each of those has ponied up $15ooo, they still need $1.5m in gate and merchandise revenue....4000@$40? :)

6. The team that sells the most merchandise is the Rush. At least that is what I had read from a report in the Saskatoon paper last season. The only other team that may come close would be Buffalo. I know for me, I have two Rush t-shirts, two Rush jerseys and 4 Rush hats and I'd have more if they had more things in 4XL. I would imagine most Rush fans are similar too. I mean we have two Rush merchandise outlets, plus a chain of gas stations that sells a bit of merchandise.

I may be mistaken but I swear I read somewhere the Rush had sold something like $500,000 in merchandise last season. That seems a bit high, but I am pretty sure I had read that somewhere.

7. There's no question that they have a good deal in Langley. But they have owned the franchise since it was in San Jose, there is no way that they would have made it to Langley without some deep pockets. I mean in San Jose in the dying days, they were lucky to have a couple thousand fans at the games.

8. Dave S-C

Dave S-C Active Member

True, playing in San Jose would have been a money drain. As for Everett, I've heard mixed things about the actual arena costs there.

9. GoodsOnSabres

GoodsOnSabres Member

I'd guess its the Rush have the most because they have the fanbase of the Mammoth and Bandits and are new, so fans don't have merch from the past.

10. Hollywood42

Hollywood42 Well-Known Member

Willing to bet the Wings will lead the league in merchandise sales next season

swami24 likes this.
  11. dougm

dougm Well-Known Member

they probably do right now